Email Deliverability

IRayner
Contributeur

Understanding what happens when contact unsubscribes

Résolue

We raise money for hedge fund managers. We create a new list for each project. The sales cycle might be 6 to 18 months with monthly contact (monthly performance data).

Can someone help me understand what happens when a contact unsubscribes from one of those mailings? What does it look like from their point of view?

It seems like I might be unable to send other mailings they DO wish to receive when they unsubscribe from one list they are no longer interested in.

0 Votes
2 Solutions acceptées
christopher-RVO
Solution
Conseiller clé | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

@IRayner  you can view the pages that a user would see by unsubscribing by going to Settings>Marketing>Email>Subscriptions> and then previewing each of the pages that a user would see if they were to unsubscribe or change their preferences.

Lack of attention to these pages and their corresponding subscription types is one of the most common things I see when performing HubSpot account audits. 

Regarding your other comment, the contact can receive emails if they are opted in to that Subscription Type. The only way that a user would not be able to receive other mailings is if they unsubscribed from ALL email types. 

Hope this helps.

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @IRayner,

Keep in mind that a contact can unsubscribe via two different means. At the end of an email, a user will usually see two options: Manage preferences and Unsubscribe. (The former page has an option to unsubscribe from all emails, too.) You can find these pages under Menu > Marketing > Email > Subscriptions. More on these pages here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/how-do-i-customize-my-email-opt-out-page

Now, if a contact unsubscribes from all email, in most countries around the world, you're not allowed to send them any marketing communication anymore. This would be stored in the contact property "Unsubscribed from all email". If they have only unsubscribed from a specific subscription type, it would be stored as an opt-out in that particular subscription type.

If you're planning on running two HubSpot instances, you would, either via API or export/import have to make sure that you're not emailing contacts in one portal which have unsubscribed from all communication in the other portal. If you send an email to someone who has opted out of all communication, that could get expensive.

A Marketing Hub Starter subscription is $45/month and includes 1,000 marketing contacts, the option to connect your own email sending domain (and achieving better email deliverability) along with access to personal HubSpot support via email. If you need to save where you can, this might not be an option. Judging by the uses you're describing, this might be a good investment in terms of creating a solid foundation for your marketing and scaling it.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

7 Réponses
starbuckspartne
Membre

Résolue

When contacts choose to stop receiving emails from you and opt out of your contact list:

They're marked in your account as "unsubscribed" and can no longer be sent emails. If you send an email to a list that includes an unsubscribed contact, we prevent the email from being sent to that contact.
They're considered "inactive" contacts for billing purposes. You're only billed for the number of "active" contacts in your account.
If a contact unsubscribes and then later re-joins your contact list through one of our sign-up tools, we remove the "unsubscribed" status and they can start receiving emails again as an "active🙂" contact.

IRayner
Contributeur

Résolue

The issue is that if the recipient is receiving mail from two lists (say, product A and product B) and unsubscribed upon receiving a mailing for B, they will no longer receive mailings for A, which they ARE interested in.

First, I have to notice this has happened, and I now have to set up a parallel mailing to ensure they continue to receive info about A.

The consequence is that Hubspot adds to my workload instead of reducing it because I have to run TWO parallel CRM systems!

0 Votes
karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @IRayner,

Keep in mind that a contact can unsubscribe via two different means. At the end of an email, a user will usually see two options: Manage preferences and Unsubscribe. (The former page has an option to unsubscribe from all emails, too.) You can find these pages under Menu > Marketing > Email > Subscriptions. More on these pages here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/how-do-i-customize-my-email-opt-out-page

Now, if a contact unsubscribes from all email, in most countries around the world, you're not allowed to send them any marketing communication anymore. This would be stored in the contact property "Unsubscribed from all email". If they have only unsubscribed from a specific subscription type, it would be stored as an opt-out in that particular subscription type.

If you're planning on running two HubSpot instances, you would, either via API or export/import have to make sure that you're not emailing contacts in one portal which have unsubscribed from all communication in the other portal. If you send an email to someone who has opted out of all communication, that could get expensive.

A Marketing Hub Starter subscription is $45/month and includes 1,000 marketing contacts, the option to connect your own email sending domain (and achieving better email deliverability) along with access to personal HubSpot support via email. If you need to save where you can, this might not be an option. Judging by the uses you're describing, this might be a good investment in terms of creating a solid foundation for your marketing and scaling it.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

christopher-RVO
Solution

Résolue

@IRayner  you can view the pages that a user would see by unsubscribing by going to Settings>Marketing>Email>Subscriptions> and then previewing each of the pages that a user would see if they were to unsubscribe or change their preferences.

Lack of attention to these pages and their corresponding subscription types is one of the most common things I see when performing HubSpot account audits. 

Regarding your other comment, the contact can receive emails if they are opted in to that Subscription Type. The only way that a user would not be able to receive other mailings is if they unsubscribed from ALL email types. 

Hope this helps.

IRayner
Contributeur

Résolue

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It seems that with the free subscription, my contacts can only unsubscribe to all or nothing, and there's no way to change that. Is my understanding correct?

0 Votes
christopher-RVO

Résolue

That is correct, you would need to upgrade to Marketing Starter. 

IRayner
Contributeur

Résolue

I am getting to the point after investing 100s of hours into Hubspot of just abandoning it and going back to using csv files and Google Workspace!

0 Votes