Email Deliverability

bfrost

Two e-mail questions

SOLVE

Hi All,

I've noticed two issues with outbound e-mail and I'm wondering whether others have experienced it:

1) When I go to a sent e-mail from Outlook I get an instant notification that my conatct opened their e-mail.  I'm assuming they didn't actually open and I'm getting the notification because I'm opening it.  

2) I've had a few e-mails bounce back to me with an error message saying recipient isn't recognized but I'll get notificiation that they opened e-mail.

I'd appreciate it if other's could comment on their experiences and whether they are knowns issues.

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
willsmith
Solution
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Two e-mail questions

SOLVE

Hi @bfrost 

The way that HubSpot email tracking works is it embeds an invisible one-pixel image into each email message when it is sent. When you open your sent email, yes, the pixel is loaded and sends you a notification that it has been opened. If the recipient has email preview set up in their inbox, scrolling through their received email can trigger an open notification. While it isn't foolproof, it is better than having zero notifications. 

I believe you are experiencing the same issue with the error messages. Once the email is sent from HubSpot, the pixel is embedded. The error message also contains the pixel and you receive a notification when it is opened.  

We've had multiple clients who get frustrated with this, so we put together a one-page document with links to related HubSpot knowledge articles about this.

I hope this helps. 

-Will Smith

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
willsmith
Solution

Two e-mail questions

SOLVE

Hi @bfrost 

The way that HubSpot email tracking works is it embeds an invisible one-pixel image into each email message when it is sent. When you open your sent email, yes, the pixel is loaded and sends you a notification that it has been opened. If the recipient has email preview set up in their inbox, scrolling through their received email can trigger an open notification. While it isn't foolproof, it is better than having zero notifications. 

I believe you are experiencing the same issue with the error messages. Once the email is sent from HubSpot, the pixel is embedded. The error message also contains the pixel and you receive a notification when it is opened.  

We've had multiple clients who get frustrated with this, so we put together a one-page document with links to related HubSpot knowledge articles about this.

I hope this helps. 

-Will Smith