Email Deliverability

JBergman1

Trying to not to send to unsubscribed contacts

SOLVE

So after i have sent a newsletter, some have unsubscribed. I have made a bounced list, and checked on for both "don't do send to unengaged contacts" and "don't send to" (choosed the bounced list). This was my guide from support.

I asked support several times if they were sure that unsubscibers would not get it, since they were still on the "send to" list, and they were sure. I now tried to quality check this with my own email-adress and I still got the newsletter.

Now i know that i have sent letters to many people who have unsubscibed. Tried to talk to support many times, (but there are only sales poeple there) After describing this problem they ensured me i will get an answer in the community. 

What is the easiest way to to this? Is there not an automatic way to stop sending to people when they unsubscribe?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JBergman1,

The information from support is generally correct. If a contact unsubscribes from marketing emails, HubSpot will not deliver emails to this contact anymore. There is an important differentiation:

• Unsubscribe from all email: All emails are suppressed, except transactional emails.
  • Unsubscribe from specific subscription: Emails sent under this subscription type will be suppressed but not emails sent using other subscription types.

Can you describe which steps you took exactly when testing this? It should've been:

1. Send email.
  2. Click "Manage preferences" at the end of the email.
  3. Click "Unsubscribe"
  4. Wait for a moment, then check whether your contact record has the value 'True' in the contact property 'Unsubscribed from all email'.
  5. Attempt so send another marketing email to your test contact.

Best regards

PS. I would recommend to not check the "Do not send to unengaged checkbox". It relies on email opens and is not reliable anymore since iOS 15.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JBergman1,

The information from support is generally correct. If a contact unsubscribes from marketing emails, HubSpot will not deliver emails to this contact anymore. There is an important differentiation:

• Unsubscribe from all email: All emails are suppressed, except transactional emails.
  • Unsubscribe from specific subscription: Emails sent under this subscription type will be suppressed but not emails sent using other subscription types.

Can you describe which steps you took exactly when testing this? It should've been:

1. Send email.
  2. Click "Manage preferences" at the end of the email.
  3. Click "Unsubscribe"
  4. Wait for a moment, then check whether your contact record has the value 'True' in the contact property 'Unsubscribed from all email'.
  5. Attempt so send another marketing email to your test contact.

Best regards

PS. I would recommend to not check the "Do not send to unengaged checkbox". It relies on email opens and is not reliable anymore since iOS 15.

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

HEagle
Contributor

SOLVE

Karsten,

After reading the postscript in your reply, I am concerned that I may have some emails set to "Do not send to unengaged contacts".
I would like to turn this off for all emails, but we have hundreds of emails to consider.
Is there anyway to filter or determine the emails which have this setting turned on without having to individually open the editor for every email?

Thanks,

- Hannah Eagle

Operations Manager, Nursing CE Central

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @HEagle,

As far as a I know there is not, you unfortunately have to check all automated emails manually.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler