Email Deliverability

PietroCalafiore

Tracking issues with iOS: which properties still updated?

SOLVE

Hello!

Since 16th of August, we experienced a huge drop in the Open Rate of all emails. We think this is due to an Apple Privacy Policy Update.

We see this from the email report Hubspot automatically pulls out.

Knowing how many contacts open an email is one to target our database.

So, my question is: are the other properties (like Last Marketing Email Open date, for example) being affected by this new policy, as far as you know? Because - maybe - we don't see a real OR in the email, but Hubspot knows if a contact opened an email.

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
kvlschaefer
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @PietroCalafiore,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Open rates are less reliable because all opens through an iOS device (no matter the email client) will be "opened" by Apple. You can continue to use the open rate metric in HubSpot, but we will not recommend it for critical tactics.

• For example, if a customer connects their Gmail account to the Apple mail app on their iPhone, Apple will automatically trigger an email open for mail delivered to that device.

I wanted to share these articles referring iOS 15:

It seems that the iOS privacy changes affect opens, but not clicks However, it can affect click-through rates as that is calculated by clicks/opens. 

I would recommend having a read through those articles if you're interested to know more about these changes. It also provides some recommendations on other metrics you could use.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
kvlschaefer
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @PietroCalafiore,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Open rates are less reliable because all opens through an iOS device (no matter the email client) will be "opened" by Apple. You can continue to use the open rate metric in HubSpot, but we will not recommend it for critical tactics.

• For example, if a customer connects their Gmail account to the Apple mail app on their iPhone, Apple will automatically trigger an email open for mail delivered to that device.

I wanted to share these articles referring iOS 15:

It seems that the iOS privacy changes affect opens, but not clicks However, it can affect click-through rates as that is calculated by clicks/opens. 

I would recommend having a read through those articles if you're interested to know more about these changes. It also provides some recommendations on other metrics you could use.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !