Email Deliverability

Cooper17
Participante

Multiple contacts under 1 email address being sent multiple emails to the 1 address

I multiple customers in hubspot that have family in the system as well. Because of this we often list the guardian as the contact and we give the child the parents email address with a +1 (ie. johndoe@gmail.com, johndoe+1@gmail.com). When we send out emails to that the children would be included in the johndoe@gmail address ends up getting multiple emails because of the +1's attached to the address. Does anyone know a way around this so that the email address only receives 1 email?

0 Me gusta
4 Respuestas 4
karstenkoehler
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner

Multiple contacts under 1 email address being sent multiple emails to the 1 address

Hi Cooper,

Please let me know if I understand your query correctly: Do you want to exclude all +1 email addresses from your email sends?

If so, you could create an active list and filter for the contact property "email address" to contain "+1". This list would then populate with all the children contacts in your system whose email addresses have the +1. Since this is an active list, it will automatically include new +1 contacts.

Next, you would exclude this list from your email sends (select it in the "Don't send to" field).

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Me gusta
Cooper17
Participante

Hi Karsten, 

Thanks for your help.  I have been doing that but it seems as though when this list is in the "Don't send to" it isn't recognized because my contacts are still getting emails for every +1 attached to their email address? Are there any other solutions?

0 Me gusta
SeanReid
Exmiembro de HubSpot
Exmiembro de HubSpot

Hi Cooper,

Rather than target the email address for your list creation, have you explored targeting another property? So, for example, if a child is added into the system you could create a property called "Infant" as a tick box and select it for every child in the database. 

When that is done, I'd also trial out a test of using a different way of updating the email address rather than using "+1", perhaps adding "child" at the end of the email, so "johndoe@email.com" and "johndoechild@email.com". My gut here is because we are not using a "+1" the system will pick it up as a 100% unique email address.

JessicaH
Exmiembro de HubSpot
Exmiembro de HubSpot

Hi @Cooper17,

Thanks for reaching out.

I want to tag in some thought leaders to see if they can assist with this.

Hi @Nynke_HM @KeyWestScott @dianalcont, would you be able to share your thoughts with @Cooper17?

Thanks!

Jess   

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Me gusta