Email Deliverability

mkarsten
Top Contributor

Managing Bounced Contacts

SOLVE

Is there a way to segment hard and soft bounces in a list, and if not can this be added to HubSpot? We have a dynamic list of contacts with the property Marketing Email Bounced greater than 0, but I haven't found a way to glean which are hard or soft without going to each individual email, which isn't efficient with the number of sent and automated emails we have in play monthly.

Ideally, we'd like a dynamic list for each hard and soft bounces. We're in the education industry where there is heavy turnover, so with the volume of hard bounces we get the process to look at them individually isn't cost effective for us. We'd like to use a list as a basis to remove the hard bounced contacts from our system to keep it as clean as possible. On the other hand, we get much fewer soft bounces, which we do want to monitor to make sure action doesn't need to be taken.

1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @mkarsten. This rationale may be a bit outdated, but from my prior conversations with the deliverability team, this particular kind of property won't be built. An email's bounce status is an extremely fluid thing, and is a function of a lot of different criteria. As a result, values could conceivably change frequently, causing users to take potentially-misleading actions. 

From a quick look on the Email Events API, there may be some endpoints containing some of the information you're looking for in the Bounce delivery event, but I'm not certain it'll have everything you need (and that's assuming your org has the developer resources available for a custom-built solution).

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Elias_Rizk
Participant

SOLVE

Hi mkarsten,

We have a simpler way that does not take time at all to implement. 

We built a list for invalid emails, where we collect bounced emails with a quality grade = 0, which means the email is invalid.

Quality grade is a custom property that we added to capture the value of email validity and hygiene. Every email goes through a verification check to avoid having a high bounce rate and damaging the sender reputation. 

When you have heavy turnover, many valid emails can still hard bounce because your list's hygiene is affected by invalid emails. When we perform a validity check, we noticed that more than 40% of hard bounced emails can be recovered. 

Emails with a quality grade higher than 50 go back to different lists depending on the recommendation for each hygiene result. 

So you end up actually monitoring a new list, Invalid emails that you can control and decide what to do with.

Check this link to give you an idea of how this works and verify how many emails you can restore. 

Many thanks,

Elias R.

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

That's fine. I tend to answer questions in context of what's available natively. 

It's always possible third parties have designed tools to solve for issues native functionality can't.

Elias_Rizk
Participant

SOLVE

Hi bradmin,

I agree with you.

When we find more value in a third-party solution, and the cost of doing it ourselves is higher than the subscription fee than we go with the third-party.

Cheers,

Elias R.

bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

For my own edification, would your solution do anything to keep track of how many emails have been bounced (since HubSpot was able to unbounce an address)? One email question asked frequently (in context) around here is how to keep track of bounces from a reset point, going forward. 

0 Upvotes
Elias_Rizk
Participant

SOLVE

Hi bradmin,

Hubspot allows you to "unbounce" once. We do not track the number of bounces in Hubspot because of this rule. 

I would love to connect and learn from you as a top advisor for HubSpot community. 

Can I interest you in a 30 discussion?

You can book the time that works for you and you will receive a link to connect remotely.

Many thanks,

Elias 

0 Upvotes
Elisabeth9

SOLVE

Hello Elias,

I've just signed up to HubSpot and have experienced a high bounce rate (23%) on my first list of contacts because all of these are oudated - people have moved jobs, - so am really disturbed with the message that my account "is going to be suspended"! I tried to give feedback to complain at the end of suggested "steps" to resolve the issue, however, the page refreshed as soon as I started typing and hence I could not send any message. Whereas at the same time the HubSpot chat does not appear to load, i.e. is not working! So there isn't anywhere to get help: I am just facing a "permanent" supension of the account as soon as I started working.

What is wrong with the outdated contacts at all and whatsoever? What is the matter? They bounce and what is the big deal out of it?! What right do you have to demean me like this during my happy working hours and why should I clean up the list, which I cannot possibly clean up in any way than by trying to send an email to see if it bounces? To 900 contacts? This is what I did in HubSpot: sent an email and some had bounced. So now I can delete them, but even then appears to be one by one (here is a product improvement for you!), but I cannot do it beforehand, can I?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @mkarsten. This rationale may be a bit outdated, but from my prior conversations with the deliverability team, this particular kind of property won't be built. An email's bounce status is an extremely fluid thing, and is a function of a lot of different criteria. As a result, values could conceivably change frequently, causing users to take potentially-misleading actions. 

From a quick look on the Email Events API, there may be some endpoints containing some of the information you're looking for in the Bounce delivery event, but I'm not certain it'll have everything you need (and that's assuming your org has the developer resources available for a custom-built solution).

mkarsten
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for the quick response! We do have a development team that might be able to help us out with this. Thanks for providing a place to start, so I don't go to them empty handed.:)