Email Deliverability

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

Internal Emails marked as Spam

SOLVE

There has to be someone that has had this problem, AND found a way around it....

We have a standard customer service email account, that customers interact with us, via a Hubspot form and that form sends an INTERNAL email.   

This account is monitored by different people, and periodically, one of them will actually mark one of these messages as Spam.  Now, none of our customers can email us, via this form.

OK!!!! An internal email, is or should not be subject to the same spam settings as a marketing or sales email.  These are emails from inside the company, to other people inside the company, and no one should be able to mark one as spam..... (Bad Hubspot!!!)

Other than going back in time to figure out who was monitoring the that email account, at the time this occurred and breaking their fingers (jk).  How can we prevent this from happening????

Scott

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KeyWestScott,

Glad we're talking about the same thing!

Any solution would live outside of HubSpot. Taking the example of Google Workplace, there are options to bypass spam filters for internal emails. If instead of a HubSpot system email you would send that notification through a workflow / connected email domain, I'd expect emails to go through even if they have been previously marked as spam by an employee.

You'd have to find out what email infrastructure / email service provider you're on. The next step would be researching if that ESP has options to bypass spam filters, as describe with Google Workspace above.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KeyWestScott,

Glad we're talking about the same thing!

Any solution would live outside of HubSpot. Taking the example of Google Workplace, there are options to bypass spam filters for internal emails. If instead of a HubSpot system email you would send that notification through a workflow / connected email domain, I'd expect emails to go through even if they have been previously marked as spam by an employee.

You'd have to find out what email infrastructure / email service provider you're on. The next step would be researching if that ESP has options to bypass spam filters, as describe with Google Workspace above.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KeyWestScott,

You are not referring to a connected team inbox, are you? This is about a HubSpot notification email sent to a shared email inbox that was set up outside of HubSpot – one of your company email addresses, name@keywestexpress.net, correct?

If that is the case, then it's out of the "jurisdiction" of HubSpot. That receiving email inbox is hosted on an email infrastructure that lives outside of HubSpot. For my own business, for example, HubSpot notification emails are delivered to ***@karsten-koehler.de which is a Google Workplace email. If I receive a HubSpot notification email to ***@karsten-koehler.de and mark this email as spam, HubSpot can't do anything about that.

(Let me know if I understood the premises correctly.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Karsten, that's the exact situation.  This email is being generated by a Hubspot form (Customer Inquiry) to a xxx@keywestexpress.net address.

So, then let me rephrase the request.  Is it possible to use an "internal" messaging format, from the Hubspot form,  to send the equalavent of an "email" to this customer service "account".  THEN have this representative reply (in some means) to the customer request, that would then be an externally sent/addressed email?  Thus negating the possibility of the SPAM flagging issue?

Scott

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KeyWestScott,

You can set up allowlisting for HubSpot emails with your IP team, both for a list of email addresses and sending IP addresses. The steps are explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/not-receiving-hubspot-system-or-notification-emails#set-up-allow...

Depending on your company's email service provider this might or might not prevent the issue that you are describing from happening. You'll have to test this. In this scenario, HubSpot is the sending entity and has little say in what is happening on the receiving end, especially if users in your company take an action to label these emails as spam. (Asking HubSpot for a solution for a solution would be like asking a parcel delivery service to figure out a way to deliver the parcels if the recipient refuses to accept the parcel.)

@sharonlicari this seems like a regular post more than a suggestion/request, could this be moved?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Our email provider is Hubspot.

It's not an issue of allowlisting, as the emails do get delivered.  It's about an individual that inadvertently marks a message as spam.  Internal emails should NEVER have the opportunity to be marked as such.  They are emails sent from within the system (company) to other users, still within the system (company).  They are not "publically" issued email messages (for example, Sales or Markeing) and thus are not regulated by any CANSPAM law or regulation.

Taking your message  "  (Asking HubSpot for a solution for a solution would be like asking a parcel delivery service to figure out a way to deliver the parcels if the recipient refuses to accept the parcel.) "  This would be more like asking your company's Postal Mail / Internal Mail person, to stop delivering parcels from the Company CEO, just because they don't want to hear what the CEO has to say. Or a sales person marking their managers INTERNAL email messages as spam, thus they never receive their managers messages.  I can't see where this would be acceptable, in any situation.

And this would certainly be a suggestion, to the HS system.

Thank you, for the reply.  I appreciate you responding.

Scott

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

done 🙂

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !