Email Deliverability

CLeveriza

How exactly does a bad list affect your reputation?

SOLVE

In the Hubspot Email Marketing Certification course, it is mentioned that "Every time you send to a list with low engagement and open rates, it hurts your domain’s reputation and therefore your chances of connecting with other customers." Does anyone have additional data on this? I'm wondering what is considered low open and engagement rates. Additionally - what exactly happens to the domain reputation? How is this measured?

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CLeveriza,

HubSpot itself refers to an open rate of above 27%, a click-through rate above 8%, a hard bounce rate below 0.3%, unsubscribe rates below 0.4% and and spam report rates of below 0.01%. You can access these metrics and how you're performing against them under Menu > Marketing > Emails > tab Health.

How exactly domain reputation is measured is hard to say. Similar to SEO, the weight of certain factors isn't known exactly. Email deliverability is in that sense also a black box. The criteria are known but you can't check your exact score somewhere.

For more resources on this topic, I can recommend @kaburke's excellent email deliverability listicle. @natsumimori also compiled a lot of great resources here. By following these best practices, email service providers should recognize you as a trustworthy sender over time.

In addition to the engagement metrics, there various other factors worth looking into:

Connect your email sending domain and set up email authentification (SPF, DMARC)

Only email contacts who for whom you have a legal basis to communicate

Validate emails before sending to avoid hard bounces at all costs (e.g. Neverbounce, Zerobounce)

Avoid as many spam trigger words as possible

Test the spammyness of your email

There is also a great knowledge base article, explaining the functionality of the Don't send to unengaged contacts feature in HubSpot.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
kaushik1996
Participant

SOLVE

Hello CLeveriza,

if your domain reputation is bad enough, even your transactional emails—order confirmation emails, shipping notifications, and the like—could end up in the spam folder. that means, sending emails from a domain with a bad email reputation could make your business practically invisible in the email world.

its measured depend on Spam placement rate, Read rate, Deleted before reading rate, Open rate, Click rate,

Reply rate and many more other factor.

0 Upvotes
webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CLeveriza ,

This article here has the definition on what does low engagement means. In addition, this article explains more about how the email sending reputation is affected. There isn't a clear measure on this as this is calculated by the email providers (eg. gmail, outlook) but the article has some tips on how to improve your reputation 🙂 

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CLeveriza,

HubSpot itself refers to an open rate of above 27%, a click-through rate above 8%, a hard bounce rate below 0.3%, unsubscribe rates below 0.4% and and spam report rates of below 0.01%. You can access these metrics and how you're performing against them under Menu > Marketing > Emails > tab Health.

How exactly domain reputation is measured is hard to say. Similar to SEO, the weight of certain factors isn't known exactly. Email deliverability is in that sense also a black box. The criteria are known but you can't check your exact score somewhere.

For more resources on this topic, I can recommend @kaburke's excellent email deliverability listicle. @natsumimori also compiled a lot of great resources here. By following these best practices, email service providers should recognize you as a trustworthy sender over time.

In addition to the engagement metrics, there various other factors worth looking into:

Connect your email sending domain and set up email authentification (SPF, DMARC)

Only email contacts who for whom you have a legal basis to communicate

Validate emails before sending to avoid hard bounces at all costs (e.g. Neverbounce, Zerobounce)

Avoid as many spam trigger words as possible

Test the spammyness of your email

There is also a great knowledge base article, explaining the functionality of the Don't send to unengaged contacts feature in HubSpot.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

rrufenach

SOLVE

Hello Karsten,

I was wondering if my domain reputation is affected using the Hubspot plateforme to send my newsletter for example?

I thought that there were two separate thingsand that Hubspot was sending the emails through its own email service. 

Recently my domain reputation got very low as much as my standard emails were filtered too. I managed to get domain reputation back up but now hesitate to re-launch my newsletter whose non-opening rate is higher.

If I use Hubspot for my newsletter with a low open rate, will it affect my domain?

Many thanks 🙂

Richard

0 Upvotes