Email Deliverability

KWhitehurst

Gmail - Email Deliverability

SOLVE

How can I avoid information being requested by clients with Gmail addresses to not go into their spam?

We use HubSpot to provide the information requested about our product but for subscribers that use only Gmail, it goes into their spam/junk folders. This is not a random marketing email but a response to a request as the client has requested information. Again, this is only happening for Gmail users. Please advise how we can prevent this.

2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KWhitehurst,

This is a common problem, unfortunately. Could you confirm that you have connected your email sending domain and set up email authentification (SPF, DMARC)? Both are considered best practice and should help with your email deliverability and would be the first steps towards better deliverability.

In general, similar to SEO, you want to try to pass on as many positive signals about your content as possible. The eventual decision what to do with that content rests with the service provider. With that in mind, here is a list of things that I'd recommend reviewing:

Connect your email sending domain

Use a DMARC policy with HubSpot

Only email contacts who for whom you have a legal basis to communicate

Validate emails before sending to avoid hard bounces at all costs (e.g. Neverbounce, Zerobounce)

Remove unengaged contacts from list regularly for higher engagement rates

Avoid as many spam trigger words as possible

Test the spammyness of your email

@kaburke wrote an excellent email deliverability listicle and @natsumimori also compiled a lot of great resources here. I highly recommend you check out both. Over time, email service providers should recognize you as a trustworthy sender. The issue could be that in the past, some recipients have already marked your emails as spam or that email service providers noticed high bounce rates from you.

If you have already taken some of these steps or more context to share, let me know.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing the screenshot @KWhitehurst.

That's a great health score. So it looks like somehow Google thinks your emails are "questionable". Have you had email sends in the past that had either high spam or unsubscribe rates, or very low engagement?

I found this on the Google Support. Maybe @kaburke has tips but if I was you I would reach out the Google and ask for clarification or pointers.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KWhitehurst,

This is a common problem, unfortunately. Could you confirm that you have connected your email sending domain and set up email authentification (SPF, DMARC)? Both are considered best practice and should help with your email deliverability and would be the first steps towards better deliverability.

In general, similar to SEO, you want to try to pass on as many positive signals about your content as possible. The eventual decision what to do with that content rests with the service provider. With that in mind, here is a list of things that I'd recommend reviewing:

Connect your email sending domain

Use a DMARC policy with HubSpot

Only email contacts who for whom you have a legal basis to communicate

Validate emails before sending to avoid hard bounces at all costs (e.g. Neverbounce, Zerobounce)

Remove unengaged contacts from list regularly for higher engagement rates

Avoid as many spam trigger words as possible

Test the spammyness of your email

@kaburke wrote an excellent email deliverability listicle and @natsumimori also compiled a lot of great resources here. I highly recommend you check out both. Over time, email service providers should recognize you as a trustworthy sender. The issue could be that in the past, some recipients have already marked your emails as spam or that email service providers noticed high bounce rates from you.

If you have already taken some of these steps or more context to share, let me know.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

CTodd
Participant

SOLVE

Our Gmail deliverabilty recently went off a cliff in May also, from 30% open rates down to under 5%. There's a confirmed issue with Mailchimp, and I suspect HubSpot is facing similar issues. Emails aren't getting marked as spam, but they're going to the spam folder anyway. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/gmail-glitch-sending-newsletters-to-spam-mailchimp-confirms/

Any more updates in the community of similar situations with gmail? 

0 Upvotes
KWhitehurst

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

We have connected our email-sending domain, and have the DMARC set up, only email clients that have requested information from our form, here, turn our unengaged contacts into non-marketing contacts, and have a spamyness score of 9.7/10.

We have 3 emails that get sent out with the below subject lines:

• ☀️ Thank you for your interest in The Club at Hammock Beach!
  • The Club at Hammock Beach - Living Newsletter
  • 🌴 Hammock Beach Living Newsletter May 2023

This issue started in January 2023 (When we switched our website provider to be HubSpot). We will get calls from possible clients saying they requested information a week ago and never recieved it. Although, HubSpot says the email was delivered the day of the request. Not sure what to do at this point.

0 Upvotes
franksteiner79
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @KWhitehurst 

Would you be able to share a screenshot of your HubSpot Email Health Score Dashboard? Technically speaking, an email counts as delivered when the email is accepted by the recipient's server. If it reaches the recipients inbox or gets put into a spam/junk folder, depends on a number of factors which are determined by the recipients email provider.

Is this happening to all contacts with a gmail address?

How many of your overall emails are being sent to gmail addresses?

Thanks

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

InboundPro

KWhitehurst

SOLVE

Hi @franksteiner79 

Here is the screenshot. They are showing as delivered, but when speaking to clients they say they are not receiving the email as it is not in their inbox. When we ask clients to look in the spam, they see it.

KWhitehurst_0-1684433712553.png

Out of 128 leads in April, 58 were gmail users. The gmail users we were able to speak to on the phone - all our emails were located in their spam folders.

0 Upvotes
franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing the screenshot @KWhitehurst.

That's a great health score. So it looks like somehow Google thinks your emails are "questionable". Have you had email sends in the past that had either high spam or unsubscribe rates, or very low engagement?

I found this on the Google Support. Maybe @kaburke has tips but if I was you I would reach out the Google and ask for clarification or pointers.

Frank

Frank Steiner

InboundPro

KWhitehurst

SOLVE

We have had no Spam Reports, and unsubscribes from monthly newsletter emails average at about 3 out of 1,069 marketing contacts. Our lowest engagement was in February when we switched out website provider to HubSpot. 

We use outlook for our business emails and have no issues when sending directly to the client. The issue is only present when we send emails out of HubSpot. Thank you for your help with this @franksteiner79 

0 Upvotes