Email Deliverability

SaferCycling
Contributor

Email from sender is displaying so wrong

SOLVE

I've sent many emails through Hubspot, but something went wrong with today's send. Instead of showing my name or my email address in the From line in the recipient's inbox, it shows  info...@...ee.hs-send.com

Once inside the email it shows like this (my actual info replaced between &&&s) from: Melissa &&&LastName&&& <info=&&&emaildomain&&&.ca@hubspotfree.hs-send.com>

If it wasn't obvious from that, I am a free user. 

Previous email sends have come in showing Melissa &&&LastName&&& in the inbox, and within the message shows as from: Melissa &&&LastName&&& <info@&&&emaildomain&&&.ca> via bf02.hubspotfree.net

I can't find anything that I've changed, whether on purpose or by accident, and I'm not sure if this is exclusive to the inboxes in my house (we use Gmail), but it's definitely weird. 

Any advice? Is this something to worry about?

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@5hellos I think this is the new way that emails are sent from free accounts and don't believe that the hubspotfree.hs-send.com is the wrong one.

This is from an email I've configured in a free account:

Jnix284_0-1710175314524.png

This is the knowledge base article linked below the "From address" about improving deliverability:

Jnix284_1-1710175373042.png

Essentially, since you have a free account and can't configure an email sending domain to create the necessary DKIM/DMARC records (HubSpot already takes care of SPF), your emails wouldn't reach recipients at Google/Yahoo due to the requirements that rolled out February 1.

HubSpot is changing your email sending address to be in compliance with these authentication requirements.

You can hear directly from the Email product team in this recording about the Gmail and Yahoo Email Updates in HubSpot

The reply-to email will still come directly to your email, the only way to have the from address match your domain is to upgrade to Marketing Starter.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30
ZIsmagambetov

SOLVE

Hi There , I have the same behaviour with my hubspot emails. I have paid plan. I've been using it since September 2023 but in the beginning of Feb 2024 I started seeing wrong email. 

Incorrect from email: 

Before Feb it was working, see correct one: 

from:myemail <myemail@domain.com via bf02x.hubspotemail.net>
0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

@ZIsmagambetov the way your email is showing is not "incorrect" it is now configured to be in compliance with the new requirements by Google and Yahoo which went into effect in February.

If you reply to one of your emails, you'll see that the correct email will be populated in the email reply's recipient field.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

5hellos

SOLVE

Dear Jennifer,

I have the same problem as mentioned above. However, if we reply to one of the emails, we still see the 'wrong' email with hubspotfree.hs-send.com... and not the correct one. How can we fix it? And how can we fix that our recipients see the correct email from the start?

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@5hellos I think this is the new way that emails are sent from free accounts and don't believe that the hubspotfree.hs-send.com is the wrong one.

This is from an email I've configured in a free account:

Jnix284_0-1710175314524.png

This is the knowledge base article linked below the "From address" about improving deliverability:

Jnix284_1-1710175373042.png

Essentially, since you have a free account and can't configure an email sending domain to create the necessary DKIM/DMARC records (HubSpot already takes care of SPF), your emails wouldn't reach recipients at Google/Yahoo due to the requirements that rolled out February 1.

HubSpot is changing your email sending address to be in compliance with these authentication requirements.

You can hear directly from the Email product team in this recording about the Gmail and Yahoo Email Updates in HubSpot

The reply-to email will still come directly to your email, the only way to have the from address match your domain is to upgrade to Marketing Starter.

BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

Thank you for asking the Community!

I understand that you are sending marketing emails from Hubspot and the from address is not the one you had. Please let me know if that's not the case.

I am not sure if you have seen this, but recently some changes have been made. Since February 2024, Google and Yahoo require senders to implement email authentication. Here is the post about it and the requirements about it: "Google and Yahoo have hired a digital bouncer, but we’re here to help you get on the list!". If you have questions about this, there is also currently an AMA (Ask Me Anything) about the Yahoo/Google authorization where you can drop your questions!

How did you use to send the emails with "via bf02.hubspotfree.net", please? What is from a contact record? A marketing email? An email from the conversation inbox?

Have you connected your email sending domain, please?

Because if you didn't that's likely the reason why the from address has been edited to improve deliverability. All marketing emails and transactional emails sent via HubSpot that do not use a connected email sending domain are subject to a variable domain managed by HubSpot.

Here is the article about it: "Unauthenticated emails and email variable domains".

I also wanted to invite a couple of subject matter experts to this conversation: Hi @Jnix284, @danmoyle and @andrus do you have any advice to help @SaferCycling, please?

Also, if anybody else has anything to add and/or share, please feel free to join in the conversation 🙂

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Bérangère & Jennifer, 

I'm not sure that this is related to the Gmail authentication thing, as this was sent through HubSpot marketing email.

I do have my Gmail inbox connected, but this wasn't sent through my inbox. This was a marketing email sent through HubSpot Email, like the many I have sent before. 

Sorry for the confusion on the previous message, I added the &&&s to indicate that I had modified what was between them. I have blocked out the same on the pics below.

Some screenshots: both of these messages were sent through Hubspot email, to my Active Contact list (which includes my husband, who brought this to my attention) of approximately 300. The one that was sent on Jan 31 came through ok. The one sent on Feb 28 is messed up.

within hubspot email detailswithin hubspot email details < how the correct one displays in Hubspot Email details

in inboxin inbox < how the correct one looks in inbox

after opening messageafter opening message < how the correct one shows after opening message

in hubspot email detailsin hubspot email details < how the bad one looks in Hubspot email details

in inboxin inbox < how the bad one looks in Inbox, with the notification emails about this thread also showing for comparison

after opening messageafter opening message < how the bad one looks after opening the email. 

Please let me know if you want me to put larger versions of these up. 

When did the Gmail authentication thing take effect? I don't think that's what the problem is, but it could be, as this is a Gmail account that was sent to (my husband's is too). Should I ask other contacts who have Gmail accounts if theirs came through ok? 

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Upvotes
SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Oh, this is interesting: it does seem to be related to Gmail. When I go into my webmail, it looks fine. 

webmail.png

My account is a google account, but I have it as an alias in my Gmail inbox. 

Does that mean I need to do more Gmail authentication stuff? 

Melissa

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling I have confirmed that the sending email has changed for free accounts, it is no longer possible to connect an email sending domain without a paid plan:

Jnix284_0-1709246498779.png

As to why it shows differenlty in Gmail vs Webmail, I'm stumped - this is a really new change and this is the first issue I've seen pop-up as a result.

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Jennifer, 

I have absolutely no idea what you mean about connecting domain: I've gone through every place I can think of on my end and I do not see the screen you showed. I do not have any domain linked to my account. 

Since this doesn't seem to be something I've done wrong or can correct, I'll do my best to ignore it. Can you let me know if you figure out a solution that requires me to do something? Should I submit a support ticket or anything like that? 

Melissa

Jnix284

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling no worries, if you haven't configured an email sending domain then it's likely just a change that happened in the background as part of the greater change to how email sending works in HubSpot for free accounts.

I don't think any action is required - unless you have a paid plan, there isn't an option to submit a support ticket directly.

Jnix284

SOLVE

@SaferCycling I've run into a similar issue on another account - their email sending domain is authenticated, but it is modifying it as if it isn't.

I found this in the knowledge base that explains why the change happens and thought you might need for reference:

Jnix284_0-1709747067129.png

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Jennifer, 

The issue that I'm having isn't with how Hubpsot changes my email, it's how my NAME DISPLAYS in Gmail. 

email sender wrong name.png

I'm not in the least concerned about what it looks like my email address is, as the reply-to address is correct and that has not been an issue. It's just how the Sender Name shows. 

Melissa

Jnix284

SOLVE

@SaferCycling do you have your from name configured in the email here:

Jnix284_0-1709752748751.png

I can see from your previous screenshot it is showing your name:

Jnix284_1-1709752788422.png

I'm wondering if you try another from name as a test if it might trigger the name to update/format properly...

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

I haven't changed my name in years, but this is a new problem, which I suspect is related to the Gmail changes and completely out of my control. "HubSpot already has you covered with SPF if you're sending from our shared swimlanes ... When crafting marketing emails, remember the 'Suggestion' prompt that alerts you if you're about to save or send an email without utilizing a connected domain. " <- there was no suggestion that there was anything wrong with my email when I scheduled the previous email, and I'm not seeing anything that suggests the next one will be any different. I sent this email through Hubspot Marketing Email. 

Test emails do not look the same as regular emails. I'm not sure how changing my name for a test would help when the name is displaying properly everywhere but Gmail anyways, but I suppose I can try it. 

Melissa

Jnix284

SOLVE

@SaferCycling My apologies, I know it's a long shot - I'm just not able to replicate the issue in Gmail with an account that has a similar configuration, so I thought maybe triggering the server to refresh the from name setting might do the trick.

I've been doing a lot of testing to try to recreate this and haven't been successful, all of the accounts I can test are newer though, so that's why I thought it might be something cached from before the Feb 1 change.

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

My husband just received an email from another Hubspot user - a paid user - which displayed horribly as well. I've blocked out all private information on this image of what it looks like in his inbox: 

bad sender.png

The part circled in orange is what the name shows like in the list of messages in the inbox. 

This is definitely not a free-user or me-only issue: something is going wrong with Hubspot & Gmail. 

Melissa

BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling, @5hellos,

I hope that you are well! Thanks for asking the Community and thank you so much @Jnix284 for your time and help on this (and for the tag)!

I checked for you and it is expected that you will see a domain like "hs-send.com" or "hubspotemail.net" when sending marketing emails from HubSpot.

However, the DKIM, DMARC and SPF configurations provide authentication that HubSpot has been given permission to send on your behalf and will improve the deliverability of those emails.

Therefore, I'd recommend following the steps of this article "Manage your email authentication in HubSpot" (with a paid subscription) for deliverability reasons.

I hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Best,
Bérangère

Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Berangere,

I'm sorry, but what you're saying is not correct. Seeing a HubSpot ID instead of the sender's name in the Gmail inbox is not what is supposed to happen. This did not happen prior to the Gmail authentication changes and as linked by Jnix, it is something that HubSpot said was done by them, not the user, regardless of paid status. 

If Gmail users mark my email as spam because they see this garbage, then my account gets shut down, when it's HubSpot's fault. 

0 Upvotes
BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

Thank you for your message.

So that I can investigate this further for you and see if there is something wrong or not, can you please send me, via private message, a screenshot in Gmail of how it is displaying and highlighting which part you think is not correct?

Thanks a lot and have a good day.

Best,
Bérangère

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

I have already posted screen shots showing what's going on: you want them sent by PM as well? 

Why is this marked as solved, when it's not solved? 

0 Upvotes