Education Partner Program Community

AGarfield
Participante

Product and Market Planning course ideas

Hi all, 

I am teaching a product and market planning course this Fall where the students come up with a new product extension work on the launch from both product management and product marketing management perspectives. I taught it before in-person (no HubSpot) and am now teaching it online. Julia Gueron provided some great suggestions and I am leaning towards the Inbound certificate and individual lessons. I was wondering if anyone else taught this type of course before and used HubSpot within it.  Julia also mentioned the ELEVATE course although I haven't taken that one before.

Below is the course description for reference: Comprehensive study of the techniques of product planning and development. Team approach to product idea generation, concept development, technical and economic screening, and product concept testing and commercialization, including the development of a marketing and promotion plan.

Alicia

3 Respostas 3
JonStanis
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante

Alicia,

I am not sure if this is directly applicable, but we have a lot of resources on our site for marketing and planning.

For instance, we have a page dedicated to annual marketing planning where we have curated a lot of resources around the topic. 

Creating an annual marketing plan - Template and Resources

For an annual marketing plan, it comes down to 

1. Setting Goals and KPIs
  2. Determining the gap between your goals and where you currently are
  3. Determining your marketing budget based upon your KPIs.
  4. Creating a quarterly roadmap that you can then measure against your annual goals.
  5. Reporting on your goals and analyzing the results to see if you are on track or make changes.

We get a lot of students visiting our site, so I think they must find the content useful. I hope you do as well.

Cheers!

epeters
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @AGarfield,

I work with HubSpot's product team on the HubSpot Academy application in HubSpot, so I might be able to provide a few tips from a B2B software company product management perspective. 

• Everything product or market development starts with research, both qualitative (talking to existing customers) and quantitative (analyzing behavioral data) as well as conducting some primary research (surveying existing users, or paying a service to survey non-users, as to not skew results.) Research drives every decision we make, and our product researchers play a huge part in what we build, what we name things, and of course, how they are designed.
  • Designers can then use that research to make mockups, which can then go through moderated and unmoderated user panels to further the research process. For example, a new user interface for HubSpot Academy is currently undergoing this process, because we wouldn't want to build something without knowing, even generally, how users will respond.
  • Finally, as the product manager, I work with our engineers to figure out the way in which it should be released, to get to our desired end result without causing any confusion with our users. We typically want to release a big project in chunks, and A/B tests, so we can watch carefully to see if the new feature/design is supporting the goal of the project in the first place. When all of these resources (researchers, designers, engineers, etc) are working on something, we are VERY careful to make sure what is getting built is the right thing to build.
  • Then the fun starts. Making sure business stakeholders are informed of the change (sales, marketing, support, etc) and that the reason for the change was communicated, is a big part of rolling it out. 

These steps are just what's involved in making a change to an existing app. Creating a new app, identifying an opportunity in the market, brainstorming how you can solve it, etc is like a very big, high-risk version of the above steps. "Hooked" By Nir Eyal is one of the best product management books out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXM4NymIcA I'm sure there are others, but a course on identifying opportunities, evaluating them, researching, designing, and building them, sounds like a lot of fun! Hope this was helpful. 🙂 
AGarfield
Participante

Thank you very much for this excellent reply. I really appreciate it. - Alicia

0 Avaliação positiva