Education Partner Program Community

jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

Beta-testing a new HubSpot Education Asset

Hi all! 

I'm writing this post to see if anyone here in the community would be interested in a project that I'm working on. For some context, I started at HubSpot about 5 months ago. All new HubSpot employees are taken through a 2~ week training that requires them to think of a fake business and use HubSpot software to power all parts of that business - from its website, to marketing, to sales. If you're curious, here was my final project - a business that allowed smaller podcasters to create merchandise for their fans. 

As someone that didn't know about thing about tech (this is me when my phone isn't working), to someone who was able to build a fake business and track leads and conversions, this was a huge step for me. And so I thought, why not pull inspiration from HubSpot's New Hire Training program to create an in-class program for Education Partners? 

So, the result is:
  • 18 powerpoint modules that start general and walk you through the philosophical elements of Inbound, before digging deeper into how to build a landing page, thank you page, track email success, etc. Cumulatively, this is about 29.5 hours of content (meaning powerpoint slides, activities, and readings)
  • A syllabus and grading rubric for you
  • A HUGE emphasis on the DO portion of "Learn and Do"
I presented this work to my colleagues earlier this month and here were my slides with more information on who would be the best target audience for something like this. 

I'm looking for a group of professors who wouldn't mind beta-testing this in their classroom. Would anyone be interested? What additional information would you like from me? Please feel free to use this thread to post questions! 

26 Replies 26
Dna69

To effectively beta-test a new HubSpot Education Asset, it's important to follow a structured process. Here are the general steps you can take:

Access the Asset: Start by accessing the new HubSpot Education Asset, whether it's a software tool, document, training module, or any other resource.

Familiarize Yourself: Spend some time getting to know the asset. Understand its purpose, intended audience, and key features or content.

Testing Objectives: Define clear objectives for your beta-testing. What specific aspects are you looking to assess or validate? It could include usability, functionality, content accuracy, or any other relevant criteria.

Execute Test Cases: If available, follow any provided test cases or scenarios. These are predefined steps that guide you through the asset to check for various issues or effectiveness.

Usability Testing: Assess the asset's user-friendliness. Pay attention to navigation, layout, and how easily you can achieve tasks within it.

Functionality Testing: If it's software or an interactive resource, check if all functions work as intended. Test features, buttons, forms, or any interactive elements.

Content Evaluation: If the asset includes educational content, evaluate its accuracy, clarity, and relevance to the target audience. Note any errors or areas that need improvement.

Performance Testing: Assess the asset's performance. Is it loading quickly? Are there any lags or errors?

Compatibility Testing: Check if the asset is compatible with different devices and browsers. Ensure it works well on various platforms.

Feedback and Bug Reporting: Document any issues you encounter during testing. If you find bugs or problems, report them in a clear and concise manner, providing details on how to replicate the issue.

Feedback on User Experience: Share your overall experience using the asset. What did you find enjoyable or frustrating? What suggestions do you have for improvement?

Collaborate with the Testing Team: If you're part of a testing team, collaborate with other testers to gather diverse feedback and insights.

Time Management: Keep track of the time you spend testing. This can help assess how efficient the asset is to use.

Data Security and Privacy: If applicable, pay attention to data security and privacy concerns. Ensure that user data is handled responsibly and in compliance with regulations.

Follow-up: After completing your testing, participate in any debriefing sessions or discussions with the development team to provide your feedback and insights.

Iterative Testing: Be prepared for potential updates or iterations based on your feedback. Continue testing as needed until the asset meets the desired quality standards.

Documentation: Maintain clear records of your testing process, including issues identified, suggestions made, and any communication with the development team.

Remember that effective beta-testing is a collaborative effort between testers and developers to refine and improve the asset before it's released to a wider audience. Clear communication and thorough documentation are key to a successful testing process.

0 Upvotes
jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

It sure did @ABWarriner ! 

Take a look at this page to view all of our resources. The one mentioned in this thread is the "Business Project", which is under "Case Studies and Projects" about halfway down the page. 

0 Upvotes
ABWarriner

Did this ever get built and released? I would potentially be interested in using something like this.

0 Upvotes
jtoupo
Contributor

Dear @jgueron 

my alumni are fluent in English, and one of my challenges is to put them all hands-on hubspot software, maybe all this content can help me in the future.

I want, if you don't mind, to know more about the project.

Best regards and thanks for share this great job

0 Upvotes
DianneMcDermott
Participant

I'm very excited to be part of this development.  My program is a 2 year AS program so I will be looking at putting pieces of this into one of three advanced marketing courses.  Our program has other related courses: Wordpress, Video, Graphic Design, Media, that keep the degree skills-based as we can. 

0 Upvotes
samit

Hi Julia,

Thanks for the opportunity. This seems like an excellent project that will allow students to get some hands on skills onboard. I do teach a course on CRM so a project like this would be good fit. I teach that class in fall and since the activities for this fall already been set in motion I would be up for using it for Fall 2020. Would like to try the whole project system myself before I can commit. I do have a few questions:

1. Will this work in a fully online course? Will typical undergraduate business seniors need a lot of hand holding on this specially for the tech parts? The students are spread out over the country so I typically do not meet them face to face

2. Can student reach out to hubspot community or technical help if they need during the project?

3. Can students work on this project as teams or is this meant to be done individually?

4. How much will students need to pay to purchase a domain?

5. Out typical semester is 16 weeks long with actual class periods of 15 weeks. Can this be feasibly squeezed in that time frame?

6. Will be it feasible to use this project as a major part of the course (along with other assignments) or  given time commitment the course needs to be just about this project?

Thank you,

Samit 

jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

Hi Samit,

Thanks, so so much for these questions! 

1. Will this work in a fully online course?

Yes, absolutely. As long as you have a way of communicating with students and students have a way of communicating with each other. We arm you with powerpoints and worksheets.

Will typical undergraduate business seniors need a lot of hand holding on this specially for the tech parts?

The idea is that all modules have instructions. The most handholding is in the beginning, but once students get familiar with the software, there should be less and less.

The students are spread out over the country so I typically do not meet them face to face.

No problem there. They will be at an advantage if they skype or Zoom with each other to work on this, though. 

2. Can student reach out to hubspot community or technical help if they need during the project?

Yes, they can! 

3. Can students work on this project as teams or is this meant to be done individually?

Either works. There is some groupwork unrelated to the project, but that can also be adapted to individual work. 

4. How much will students need to pay to purchase a domain?

Typically, this depends on the type of GoDaddy Account they want. I bought a domain for around $13. If this were a group project, you can split the $13 or so as many ways as there are group members. 

5. Out typical semester is 16 weeks long with actual class periods of 15 weeks. Can this be feasibly squeezed in that time frame?

Yes, depending on how quickly your students pick this up. There are more than 16 modules, but each module is a different length. There isabout 30 hours worth of content, so as long as that can be expanded or contracted to meet your requirements, you should be fine.  

6. Will be it feasible to use this project as a major part of the course (along with other assignments) or  given time commitment the course needs to be just about this project?

I don't see this project being a minor part of a course, but a large component of it. I see if as either a major part, but I wouldn't advise it take up a course entirely. 

Thank you for all of the questions 

I have scheduled two webinars to explain this project: 
  • October 7th, 2pm - 3pm Eastern Time
  • October 9th, 10:30 - 11:00 am Eastern Time
Please let me know which you can attend.  For the purposes of making this Beta as successful as possible, I will have to limit those who participate in the Beta to those who were able to meet with me. If you cannot attend one of these sessions, please let me know so I can think of a solution to still make sure you can be involved. 

Thank you all! Please come with questions, comments, and feedback. 
samit

Julia, 

thanks for your response. I can attend Sept 7 or Sept 9. Please let me know. 

Samit

0 Upvotes
lhauchec

Thanks Julia for pulling it out!

I look across the material and it looks great, love the philosophy to get student hands-on Hubspot. I'm briefing them on their group project in 2 weeks, it would be really interesting to make them work on the platform, as you've done when entering HubSpot. For my part, I would be really interested in having content that explain to student how the platform actually work.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Léo 

DWJ

So I don't teach a course that this would be beneficial to this BUT I do know a digital business course that my colleauge in Information Systems teaches and she's looking at developing another course and that might be of interest to her (I actually just added her to my Hubspot team so she could poke around and see what they have to offer). 

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

Love it! , 

Let´s do it! , i can pitch it in my different business schools. 

@jgueron  let´s chat about that. 

Waiting for your call 

KR

JP

;)))

PS ( great work!)

BernardoV
Contributor | Platinum Partner
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Hi @jgueron this material looks quite usefull. 

I´ll use it on my next session and let you know how it went. 

Thank you so much for the material! 

0 Upvotes
MrsPTMorris
Top Contributor

@jgueron, after reading your proposal, without taking time to explore it fully, it looks amazing! Could I offer it to our Marketing Excellence Club as an experiment? I'd solicit feedback from them. I have a couple of student in mind that I think would probably embrace it.

Thanks! 

@MrsPTMorris 

0 Upvotes
jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

Yes! Willing and happy to chat with any clubs or students. 

0 Upvotes
dcaaronson
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

I am very interested in using all of the materials mentions.

Thanks for putting all of this together.

jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

Excellent! I'll hopefully get a few more responses and find a time for all of us to chat. Thanks as always! I hope you're enjoying the weather in LA! 

0 Upvotes
jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

@pierluigi_rippa 

@DWJ 

@PeterFuermetz 

@KT85 

@JDonohue 

@Cdrehmer 

@Chaka 

@EdP 

@dcaaronson 

@CShiery 

Curious on getting your input on this as well! 

0 Upvotes
jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

I'm curious on your thoughts and ideas on this as well! 

@jfinn 

@lhauchec 

@eugene_tsaplin 

@eduardopilatti 

@tkvmai 

@AGarfield 

@reallyleila 

@rchanna 

@calderonsusan 

@DrGuilbault 

eugene_tsaplin
Participant

This really looks awesome!  I’ll carefully check out the materials to see how it can fit our business courses.

0 Upvotes
jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

I'm curious on your thoughts and ideas on this as well! 

@csepulveda 

@DrKirkwood 

@prosati 

@bsspies 

@sninmer 

0 Upvotes