Attract Masterclass and Case Study Questions

cpieri
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Have any questions about this masterclass and case study? This is the place to post them!

We'll be sourcing answers to our questions from our instructor as well as various experts across HubSpot and other organizations. As such, it may take some time to answer every question, although we aim to answer them all as soon as possible.

53 Replies 53
cpieri
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @donovanw!

This is a great question, I'll pose it to the experts during the live AMA tomorrow but here are some thoughts in the meantime.

Spending all the time during covid19 investing in a strategy that is solely focused on topics that are relevant right now is a risky strategy as your audience might dry up when things go back to 'normal.' That being said, a lot of the ways you might typically engage with or find an audience are no longer relevant or buried under a lot of other noise. Swaying too far in one camp or the other might have negative consequences in the long term. 

My suggestion would be to spend some time investigating which parts of your brand story resonate now and have resonated historically. Typically, the best way to go about this is using a tool like Google Trends or Ahrefs that allows you to look at the historical traffic around a given topic or search term. This will allow you see what kind of priorities folks have right now as well as had in the past. That way you can spend time investing in a customer story that doesn't seem tone-deaf right now but also has some historical weight behind it. 

donovanw
Contributor

Hey @cpieri  thanks for the response. It definitely helps. Being in the real estate industry I definitely think there are a number of stories I can build my brand around. Many of them I've gotten from customer discovery. Just want to make sure its long lasting and impactful. Looking forward to the live session!

@cpieri wrote:

Hey @donovanw!

This is a great question, I'll pose it to the experts during the live AMA tomorrow but here are some thoughts in the meantime.

Spending all the time during covid19 investing in a strategy that is solely focused on topics that are relevant right now is a risky strategy as your audience might dry up when things go back to 'normal.' That being said, a lot of the ways you might typically engage with or find an audience are no longer relevant or buried under a lot of other noise. Swaying too far in one camp or the other might have negative consequences in the long term. 

My suggestion would be to spend some time investigating which parts of your brand story resonate now and have resonated historically. Typically, the best way to go about this is using a tool like Google Trends or Ahrefs that allows you to look at the historical traffic around a given topic or search term. This will allow you see what kind of priorities folks have right now as well as had in the past. That way you can spend time investing in a customer story that doesn't seem tone-deaf right now but also has some historical weight behind it. 

0 Upvotes
CAAus

One of the key parts of any marketing strategy is to understand your customer. By doing this, you can specifically segment and create tailored marketing to these customers - creating the customer persona.

Not sure if this is a tricky question or not. I work in education and one one of my arms is the B2C market. We use advanced analytics to understand and predict student learning requirements. Our end user is the student, as they need to to do the work but is our customer the parent as they are the ones forking out the $$ for the product?

Generally the parent does not know until the student is falling behind until it's too late. So back to creating a customer persona - is this created on the parent or the student (or both).

Challenges us that if it is the student, isn't it extremely difficult to market to the student?

Thoughts?
cpieri
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @CAAus!

Typically when we think about the establishing our customer persona, we think of it as the person who will actually be using the product or asking for the product as opposed to the person who is actually paying for it. While you will want content for the person who is paying that will make them feel confident in the product they are purchasing, this typically is not 'Top of the funnel' content, more of a sales enablement tool to nudge someone along once they have already started to consider purchasing.

When you are thinking about attracting people to your brand, from your description it seems like the people you want to be attracting are the students. As such, the types of topic clusters and content you produce should be oriented to this student, who it sounds like is trying to leverage your tool to get ahead or keep from falling behind.

As far as marketing to the student, it can be harder because they tend to purchase at much lower rates (although if the motion here is for a parent purchase this may not be as much of a factor). It also can be harder, because they tend to consume content in very different ways than people in the working world would. They use different platforms (TikTok vs Instagram vs Facebook) and their actual content can look very different than what we might be used to. As such, when going after this audience it can be super helpful to conduct surveys (they can often be quite cheap online) or have a small sampling of people within the target demographic that are willing to be interviewed periodically.

0 Upvotes
Sinna

HiCAAus

My company is in education for K 12 ( tutoring) for 15 years biut in the past 2 years  we are developing an evidence based assessment system with the same purpose as you have mentioned...We may have similar issues...Can we connect via email or whats app for a zoom call sometime?

Whatsapp +6597537753  email : sinna@sgeduacademy.com

Cheers 
Sinna

0 Upvotes
PhilipSmith

My business model is targeting both paid and unpaid users that are separate audiences

but both are crucial to the business model to be functional and profitable. My unpaid users are individuals 20-25 and my paid users are SMEs.

Should I focus more on attracting my paid users?

The business model is only functional if both audiences engage and I am trying to plan how best to attract both separately and at a balanced pace as they will engage with each other.

0 Upvotes
cpieri
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @PhilipSmith! Mind describing in a bit more detail how the two sets of users interact to create success for your brand? That will better help me advise you on this.

0 Upvotes
Dip

What are the first 5 first actions to take?

0 Upvotes
Inaygia

I have a physical product that solves a solution no one is searching for. What type of things can I do to attract traffic to my site? Like the class said tying your brand into related search terms was good to do. But I’m at a loss on how to actually do this as it’s not a SAAS. Help.
KateTilbury

Hi Inaygia,

I'm a fellow participant so perhaps someone with more knowledge than me will come in, but I also have a physical product, and also one that not a huge number of people are doing google searches for 😄 !

We haven't yet used SEO to attract a lot of people as we need to build a better backlinks strategy frankly, but we've been using paid ads to "attract" on facebook.  For Google organic and paid I plan to use terms related to the current solution.  Have you ever hear of the terms "pains" - "gains" - "workarounds"?  i.e. What's the problem with the current offering, what the benefit of your product (your 10x to quote the video) and finally what's the "workaround" i.e. what are people for whom the current solution is not acceptable doing instead?  No. 1 and No. 3 here might give you some search terms.

What's your product?  Maybe if I know more I or someone else can contribute more to help!

Inaygia

Hi Kate,

My product is custom organic makeup. The problem we are solving is matching all skin tones. Our solution is custom and DIY options.

I saw the recording for the q&a but I’m not sure what chunking up really means.

What I gathered from the answer in the recording is that I should start with the fact that people don’t know they have this problem. But in my case, people are very well aware that they have this problem. And in light of recent events more companies are aware of this lack of shades problem.

So where do I go from here? My potential customers know there’s a problem and that it affects them. How do I chunk lateral or chunk up or both to draw people in? Ideas?
kawtar
Participant

Hi Kate,

You can make interviews with people who they have this skin problems and give them the solution ,a short promotional video and then publish it in social media youtube,facebook instagram...

0 Upvotes