Developer Announcements

Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Upcoming: Customized lifecycle stages for contacts and companies

Beginning on March 31, 2022, users will be able to customize the lifecycle stages for their contacts and companies.

What's changing?

The lifecycle stage (lifecyclestage) property currently uses a set of options that cannot be modified by the users, meaning that the same 8 options are used for the property across all HubSpot accounts.

After this change, the same 8 options will be the default for the property, but users will be able to add new custom stages, or remove any of the default stages.

If your integration uses preset values for the lifecyclestage property, you will need to update your integration to use the CRM Properties API to get the details of the property.

When is this happening?

This change will be live for all customers beginning on March 31, 2022.

Please see the beta documentation for more details on customizing the lifecycle stage.

Please let us know if you have any questions by replying below.

32 Replies 32
AJoseph1
Participant

Hi!

Because of the beta, I can no longer set the lifecycle stage in popup forms. Instead, I am referred to the beta to make the settings for the popup there. By clicking on the link I end up in the beta...but how can I set which stage should be assigned by submitting the popup?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-04 um 14.22.53.png

JWeston7
Participant

Hi - I too would appreciate an update on what must be a revised timing on this.  Looking forward to a reply soon.

Thank you

0 Upvotes
brik_dm
Participant

Hi, Could you give us an update on release schedule? Is this delayed for a couple of days or weeks?

LisaSF
Contributor | Gold Partner
Contributor | Gold Partner

This is supposedly live today, but I am not able to see anywhere to make updates (am super admin, looking in contact object editor). Has the rollout been delayed? 

Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi all, we've run into a few issues during the testing for this, and the launch is now planned for March 31.

@Zooma for your questions:

1. The current plan is to let users edit, delete, and rearrange all custom and default stages, so you would be able to set a custom lifecycle as the first stage.

2. Custom stages will not get or update "became a..." properties like the current default stages.

3. Funnel reports will support custom stages.

Please keep in mind that this feature is still in development, so these items may change before the full launch.

0 Upvotes
kf93

Hey @Dadams -

(1) Is this still on track for March 31? 
(2) Relating to @Zooma 's question - Is this planned eventually, or never?   And in the meantime, I assume a workflow that stamps a custom Date field should be able to fire off of custom Lifecycle Stage updates?

0 Upvotes
kf93

Bumping on this @Dadams !  We really need to know if this is still on time for our ongoing Hubspot Salesforce integration

0 Upvotes
Zooma
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Thank you for clarifying, and also for updating the launch schedule!

With regards to "became a..." properties, that is a HUGE bummer as historically a lot of the ways organisations keep track of progress is based on when a contact "becomes" a certain lifecycle stage. Not having this property means you can only look at a snapshot of current lifecycle stages and "has ever been..."-values for the custom stages which is less exact and can't be compared or compiled with other "time-sensitive"-data like traffic and conversions. So, now that the timeline has moved, can you reconsider adding this feature?

D_Linguine
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Is this still rolling out live to all HubSpot instances? I'm not seeing this functionality in my own account yet. 

Zooma

Hi there again!

No response to the November questions, but it's interesting to see that the developer changelog now says that we can "remove any of the default stages". So that would answer our first question if that is true 🙂 

Any chance you can confirm and answer the other questions before Feb 1?

0 Upvotes
lindahl

Cool! We have several clients that would be pleased to hear this. 🙂

Zooma

This is good news! Three questions:

1. Lead and Subscriber are default HubSpot lifecycle stages and can't be deleted, but will it be possible to add another lifecyle stage prior to Subscriber?

2. Will custom lifecycle stages also get their respective default associated properties such as "became a .... date" and so on?

3. Will you be able to use the custom lifecycle stages in funnel reporting? (says custom reports, but doesn't say specifically so just double-checking)

PS: Does this update open the possibility for multiple lifecycles stage logics in the future? (e.g. being a customer of one product but a lead in another?)

Best regards,
Zooma