Dashboards & Reporting

fabien13

Where to track meeting activity

SOLVE

Hello

I know the post : https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Inbound-Sales-Best-Practices/B2B-Sales-HubSpot-CRM-Contacts-vs-Comp... in part answers my questions, but, not all of them.

I am tracking the activity such as meetings or phone calls in the deals records.

The problem, is that when i go to the contact record, the activity is not tracked here, and not synced, even if i applied the configuration in the contacts / Company settings.

And that seems normal, because the meeting or phone call could be with many contacts of the deal company ...

Is it preferable to track all activities in the contact record ? If so, what to track in the deals record ?

Thanks a lot !!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MayPascaud
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @fabien13, thanks for your question! You're definitely correct in assuming that certain activity types have different functionalities in Deal records or Contact records. This is, as you mentioned, due to the fact that while contacts generally have one unique phone number or email address as a point of contact, deals do not necessarily. This is why, when a contact is associated with a deal, all activity on their timeline (including notes, calls, and emails) will appear on the associated deal. 

Though each business builds their own Sales process, the general recommendation is to hold individualized communications through contact records, and more high-level notes and pieces of information in deals records. For instance, if you are a B2B company, you might have several conversations with 2 or 3 employees at a targeted company. All of these calls/emails/meetings would have been logged in the associated deal record as a result; however, you might want to synthesize these conversations from a revenue/probability perspective in a note on the deal record. You might also want to log a conversation that you had with someone who is not a key decision maker, or not significant enough to create a contact record for, but who gave you a useful tidbit of information. 

I've also found a few interesting articles on using Deals in the CRM, which I'd encourage you to check out: How to Use Deals, HubSpot CRM Sales Process, How to Use Deals in HubSpot CRM (Video)

Best,

May

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
MayPascaud
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @fabien13, thanks for your question! You're definitely correct in assuming that certain activity types have different functionalities in Deal records or Contact records. This is, as you mentioned, due to the fact that while contacts generally have one unique phone number or email address as a point of contact, deals do not necessarily. This is why, when a contact is associated with a deal, all activity on their timeline (including notes, calls, and emails) will appear on the associated deal. 

Though each business builds their own Sales process, the general recommendation is to hold individualized communications through contact records, and more high-level notes and pieces of information in deals records. For instance, if you are a B2B company, you might have several conversations with 2 or 3 employees at a targeted company. All of these calls/emails/meetings would have been logged in the associated deal record as a result; however, you might want to synthesize these conversations from a revenue/probability perspective in a note on the deal record. You might also want to log a conversation that you had with someone who is not a key decision maker, or not significant enough to create a contact record for, but who gave you a useful tidbit of information. 

I've also found a few interesting articles on using Deals in the CRM, which I'd encourage you to check out: How to Use Deals, HubSpot CRM Sales Process, How to Use Deals in HubSpot CRM (Video)

Best,

May

0 Upvotes