Dashboards & Reporting

wduprey33

Tracking a contact's activity over time...

SOLVE

Hi all,

My boss is considering switching us from Zoho to the HubSpot CRM (we would be free CRM users only), but we're coming up against a bit of a problem.

Currently, in Zoho, anytime someone fills out a form on our site (downloads an eBook, signs up for a webinar, etc.) they are created as a contact in Zoho...even if they use the same email address.

So, if John Smith downloads an eBook, and then two weeks later, John Smith registers for a webinar using the same email address, he is in Zoho twice as two individual contacts...and my boss really likes that.

He likes having the ability to easily see who has (for example) in the past 3 months filled out a lot of forms on our site (currently he can just sort Zoho by name and can export it and see A) how many times someone is in the CRM, and each time they were created).

Obviously, this isn't possible with the HubSpot CRM as HubSpot automatically de-dupes based on email address. So, my question is...is anyone doing anything similar? How are you all tracking contact engagement over a period of time (with out having to go into each individual contact)?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
cbsembler
Solution
Academy Team
Academy Team

SOLVE

Hey @wduprey33

Happy to see you in here! Hope all is going well. 

I believe there is something that you could to get close to what he might be looking for. By putting a numerical value on the form submissions (for example, number of submissions is between 1-10 or greater than 5) you can start to see how many forms someone has filled out (attached photo). 

And then if you are looking to see the exact forms submitted you could add the 'AND" criteria and select the property Form Submission is ANY of (select as many forms as you want). 

What this would give you is a Filter that would be Number of forms submitted is greater than X and the forms submitted are any of these. 

This might get you close to what you are looking for.  Let me know if I can help in any other way on this and hope you are doing well! 

-Courtney 

Contacts.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-19 at 4.14.05 PM.png

Courtney Sembler,
HubSpot Academy

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
cbsembler
Solution
Academy Team
Academy Team

SOLVE

Hey @wduprey33

The filter by months is not currently a filter inside of the CRM (its a list filter). There is a lot of different 'time' based filters though that you could play around with such as: 

1. Last Activity Date – The last time a note, call, email, meeting, or task was logged for a contact. This is set automatically by HubSpot based on user actions in the contact record. Last Activity Date is based on when the activity was entered into HubSpot.

Last Contacted – The last time a call, email, or meeting was logged for a contact. This is set automatically by HubSpot based on user actions in the contact record. Last Contacted is based on when the event actually took place.

This might get you closer to what you are looking for. 

-Court 

Courtney Sembler,
HubSpot Academy

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
8 Replies 8
HelenRoss
Contributor

SOLVE

Could you look at doing it with Workflows? So subscribe contacts to a specific "Really, really engaged" list based on if they've performed more than x form submissions?

At the contact level you can see an overview of what they've done, so if your boss is interested in John Smith's activity you could just look at his contact record and see how many forms he's filled in and when. The workflows will just allow you to them remarket to these super engaged customers and look at giving them more good content (thus keeping them super engaged and feeling extra loved).

Not sure if that's an answer for you?

0 Upvotes
wduprey33

SOLVE

Hi @HelenRoss,

Thanks so much for the reply!

Unfortunately, we're on the free version of the CRM (with no plans currently to upgrade), so we don't have access to the workflows tool 😞

I let me boss know that he can go into individual contacts to see their activity on their timeline, but his issue is that he needs to know (easily/at a glance) which contacts to look more closely at 😞

Thanks again!

0 Upvotes
cbsembler
Solution
Academy Team
Academy Team

SOLVE

Hey @wduprey33

Happy to see you in here! Hope all is going well. 

I believe there is something that you could to get close to what he might be looking for. By putting a numerical value on the form submissions (for example, number of submissions is between 1-10 or greater than 5) you can start to see how many forms someone has filled out (attached photo). 

And then if you are looking to see the exact forms submitted you could add the 'AND" criteria and select the property Form Submission is ANY of (select as many forms as you want). 

What this would give you is a Filter that would be Number of forms submitted is greater than X and the forms submitted are any of these. 

This might get you close to what you are looking for.  Let me know if I can help in any other way on this and hope you are doing well! 

-Courtney 

Contacts.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-19 at 4.14.05 PM.png

Courtney Sembler,
HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
wduprey33

SOLVE

Hey @cbsembler,

(MISS YOU!)

Thanks so much for this---its a great start and one I didn't even think of!

Question, is there any way to add a stipulation on that filter? i.e. "Has filled out X number of forms in the past X months"?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
cbsembler
Solution
Academy Team
Academy Team

SOLVE

Hey @wduprey33

The filter by months is not currently a filter inside of the CRM (its a list filter). There is a lot of different 'time' based filters though that you could play around with such as: 

1. Last Activity Date – The last time a note, call, email, meeting, or task was logged for a contact. This is set automatically by HubSpot based on user actions in the contact record. Last Activity Date is based on when the activity was entered into HubSpot.

Last Contacted – The last time a call, email, or meeting was logged for a contact. This is set automatically by HubSpot based on user actions in the contact record. Last Contacted is based on when the event actually took place.

This might get you closer to what you are looking for. 

-Court 

Courtney Sembler,
HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
wduprey33

SOLVE

Here are a couple of things we've tried already:

• Adding filters to the contacts overview, but unfortunately when you add multiple filters they are all "and" criteria, so we could only search for someone who has downloaded an eBook and registered for a webinar and downloaded a tip sheet instead of doing at least one of the three
  • Tried playing around a bit with custom properties so we could get around the issue above, but the trouble with that is that my boss also wants to be able to easily see (without having to go into the contact record) when they downloaded the eBook and when they registered for the webinar
0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @wduprey33  That is a great question! Tagging a few of our partners and INBOUND instructors for input here. Perhaps @Phil_Vallender @cbsembler or @HelenRoss can provide some insight? 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
wduprey33

SOLVE

Thanks, Ed--you're the best! #marchclass4life

0 Upvotes