Dashboards & Reporting

LStrabelli
Contributor

Report on total or average activities per closed won deals

SOLVE

Hi there! I'm looking to build a report on total or average of activites that it takes to closed won deals. I'm thinking on the x - axis the number of monthly closed won deals and on the y - axis the total or average of sales activities. I would then implement to show average of activities from mql to each of the stages until closed won. Any ideas? Help? Many thanks in advance

1 Accepted solution
ChrisoKlepke
Solution
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Thank you @Mia for tagging me on this.

Hey @LStrabelli

thank you for reaching out to the community. The report you're trying to build should be possible. However, one thing in your original question I quite didn't get:

I would then implement to show average of activities from mql to each of the stages until closed won

Can you go a bit more into detail on what you're looking for in this regard?

For the averages on sales activities for won deals I recommend building a custom report as follows:

1. Since we're only looking at deals, create a new custom report for a single object. That object being Deals, of course

2. Filter your data the way you want. As I'm in a demo portal here, I'm looking at the whole time range (all time). Plus I’ve added a filter for only won deals as this what we want show here

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 08.50.18.png

3. Next, get your data points ready. As I don't have any sales activities in my portal, I'm going for associated contacts. A bit stupid as all my deals only have one associated contact, but again - demo data. I've also added the closed won date to get a time series in the report as well. This way, you can compare the average number of sales activities over time.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 08.50.36.png

4. Create your visualization: I recommend a column chart for this kind of report. Here you can also plop in your data points from before, change the aggregation to Average and there you have it. You can also change the frequency you like to show in the top right. Monthly comes out nicely.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 08.50.49.png

Kindly let me know if you have any questions or want to follow up with what you meant by the other part of the question 😉

If you found this post helpful, consider helping others in the community to find answers faster by marking this as a solution. I'd really appreciate it. 

Cheers, 

Chriso

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @LStrabelli,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! 

I wanted to ask a couple of reporting experts for help: 

hi @ChrisoKlepke@StefaniUAT@StjepanGrcic, any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

ChrisoKlepke
Solution

SOLVE

Thank you @Mia for tagging me on this.

Hey @LStrabelli

thank you for reaching out to the community. The report you're trying to build should be possible. However, one thing in your original question I quite didn't get:

I would then implement to show average of activities from mql to each of the stages until closed won

Can you go a bit more into detail on what you're looking for in this regard?

For the averages on sales activities for won deals I recommend building a custom report as follows:

1. Since we're only looking at deals, create a new custom report for a single object. That object being Deals, of course

2. Filter your data the way you want. As I'm in a demo portal here, I'm looking at the whole time range (all time). Plus I’ve added a filter for only won deals as this what we want show here

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 08.50.18.png

3. Next, get your data points ready. As I don't have any sales activities in my portal, I'm going for associated contacts. A bit stupid as all my deals only have one associated contact, but again - demo data. I've also added the closed won date to get a time series in the report as well. This way, you can compare the average number of sales activities over time.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 08.50.36.png

4. Create your visualization: I recommend a column chart for this kind of report. Here you can also plop in your data points from before, change the aggregation to Average and there you have it. You can also change the frequency you like to show in the top right. Monthly comes out nicely.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 08.50.49.png

Kindly let me know if you have any questions or want to follow up with what you meant by the other part of the question 😉

If you found this post helpful, consider helping others in the community to find answers faster by marking this as a solution. I'd really appreciate it. 

Cheers, 

Chriso

LStrabelli
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks a lot Chriso! Yes, that will work! and I can do other reports filtering by other deal stages to know how many activities a deal had until "that point". Many thanks for that!

SMorell9

SOLVE

Just a side remark - it looks like you are planning on using the "average" amount here. This is dangerous. The average is always skewed towards outliers and unless you have a very high grade of process quality (chances are you haven't) then it will give you a wrong impression.

Example: You close 5 deals with 10 activities each. Then you close one deal with 100 activities. Your average will be 25 activities per deal. (5 x 10 and 1 x100  = 150 activities divided by 6 deals.)

In reality, you only need 10 activities to close a deal. Your average is off by a factor of 2.5

I recommend using the median here instead. That will tell you more precisely how many activities it "normally" takes to close. (I would also take a look at the mode (that's the most frequent number) and investigate what happened there because that would indicate a very stable process execution.)

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 14.09.13.png

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @ChrisoKlepke and @SMorell9 🙂

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes