Dashboards & Reporting

KGallagher2

Report on All Outbound Sales Activity for Potential New Clients

SOLVE

Hello! 

I want to create a report that will show me a total # of outbound sales activity with potential new clients (aka not exisiting clients) from the last 7 days. I created one, but I feel like its flawed. 

The report I created is a Donut Chart. 

Broken down by: Activity assigned to

Values: # Count of sales activities 

Filters: 

1. SALES ACTIVITES - Activity date is less than 7 days ago

2. CONTACTS - Lifecycle Stage (modified) is none of Customer, Opportunity, or Other

OR Lifecycle Stage (modified) is unknown

3. SALES ACTIVITES - Activity type is any of Call, Conversation Session, Meeting, or Email sent to contact

4. CONTACTS - Last sequence enrolled date is unknown 

OR last sequence enrolled date is less than 7 days ago

I had to add the sequence filters b/c some potential new customers would be counted when they received their 2nd or 3rd email in a sequence (which is not accurate for the data we need). 

I used Lifecycle stage as a filter (rather than deals) b/c we are new to HubSpot and not all previous customers have deal history in the system. However, the Lifecycle stage should be accurate.

Let me know if anyone has ideas! Thank you!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KGallagher2,

Sure, happy to help!

@KGallagher2 wrote:
What I am trying to go for here is: activity with people who are not in a sequence, or at least not enrolled in a sequence in the last 7 days (since that would not be a NEW contact outreach, it would be part of last week's activities).

That would have to be Last sequence enrolled date is unknown OR Last sequence enrolle date is more than 7 days ago then, wouldn't it?

If your main goal is reporting on sales activity on new contacts, I would approach this differently: create a list of all contacts with an activity date more than 7 days ago:

karstenkoehler_0-1639514555441.png

Then create a custom report for Contacts and Sales activites, showing only activities from contacts who are not in the list created above.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KGallagher2,

What makes you think it's not working as intended?

The part I'm unclear about is this:

@KGallagher2 wrote:

I had to add the sequence filters b/c some potential new customers would be counted when they received their 2nd or 3rd email in a sequence (which is not accurate for the data we need). 

Here you're excluding all contacts who have not been enrolled into a sequence in the last 7 days. In other words: even if there was a call but not sequence enrollment, the call wouldn't show up in the statistic.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

KGallagher2

SOLVE
Hi!

Thank you for looking at this report for me.
The reason I don't believe it's functioning correctly is because I keep
finding that it's not capturing the data. Then, I need to go in and make
some adjustments. I wanted to put this question on here, just in case
someone had that Ah-Ha! moment of knowing exactly what I am doing wrong.

With regard to the filter 4:

CONTACTS - Last sequence enrolled date is unknown

Since it has the "last sequence enrolled date is unknown," would that not
capture activity with contacts that are not enrolled in a sequence? What I
am trying to go for here is: activity with people who are not in a
sequence, or at least not enrolled in a sequence in the last 7 days (since
that would not be a NEW contact outreach, it would be part of last week's
activities).

Appreciate your help and feedback!

Katie
0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KGallagher2,

Sure, happy to help!

@KGallagher2 wrote:
What I am trying to go for here is: activity with people who are not in a sequence, or at least not enrolled in a sequence in the last 7 days (since that would not be a NEW contact outreach, it would be part of last week's activities).

That would have to be Last sequence enrolled date is unknown OR Last sequence enrolle date is more than 7 days ago then, wouldn't it?

If your main goal is reporting on sales activity on new contacts, I would approach this differently: create a list of all contacts with an activity date more than 7 days ago:

karstenkoehler_0-1639514555441.png

Then create a custom report for Contacts and Sales activites, showing only activities from contacts who are not in the list created above.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KGallagher2

SOLVE

Hi Karsten! 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

My main goal is to create a report that shows activity with contacts that have not had previous business with us, aka: outbound sales outreach to leads (which we could usually filter out by deals, but we are new to HubSpot and not all of our previous customers have associated deals in the system). 

To ensure that I am understanding correclty, you would:

1. Create a list of ALL contacts with an activity date of more than 7 days.

2. Create a custom report that shows only activities from contacts who are not in the list above. 

A couple of questions:

- Would the list of all contacts (#1) be Static? or Active? If static, I presume that I would need to create a new list each week. 

- In this example, how would I be able to determine whether the activity is with a lead (vs. someone corresponding over a purchase order)? If a new contact is added to HubSpot by one of our Account Managers who is preparing their order, then wouldn't they also appear on this report? How would I verify that they are targeted outbound leads by sales/marketing vs. someone our account management team is speaking with?

Really appreciate your help!

Best,

Katie

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KGallagher2,

@KGallagher2 wrote:

Would the list of all contacts (#1) be Static? or Active? If static, I presume that I would need to create a new list each week.

This list would be active and updating automatically based on the set time frame (7 days).

@KGallagher2 wrote:

In this example, how would I be able to determine whether the activity is with a lead (vs. someone corresponding over a purchase order)? If a new contact is added to HubSpot by one of our Account Managers who is preparing their order, then wouldn't they also appear on this report? How would I verify that they are targeted outbound leads by sales/marketing vs. someone our account management team is speaking with?

Aha, now I'm understanding what the issue might be. Ideally, your existing contacts would have a value in the contact property Lifecycle stage. Then you could simply exclude contacts with "Lifecycle stage is any of customer or other" from your report. This would be an initial effort (via import or bulk edit) and ongoing if account managers are adding contacts regularly. They would have to be trained to also update the Lifecycle stage correctly.

Otherwise your reporting is going to be ambiguous as sales persons might not only send sequences but also one-off sales emails from contact records as well – so the sole focus on sequences would potentially exclude relevant activity from your report.

My recommendation would be to maintain the Lifecycle stage for all contacts (and backfill, if needed). You can then look at any activity of newly created contacts as long as you exclude irrelevant Lifecycle stages.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you have any follow-up questions.

Karsten Köhler

KGallagher2

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

Yes, I have already put values in all of the Lifecycle phases. I had to actually create a new Lifecycle phase property to modify it a bit. But, I have automations in place that update the Lifecycle phase in unison with the Modified Lifecycle phase property that I have in place. 

Here is a list of the filters I have in place:

Filters: 

1. SALES ACTIVITES - Activity date is less than 7 days ago

2. CONTACTS - Lifecycle Stage (modified) is none of Customer, Opportunity, or Other

OR Lifecycle Stage (modified) is unknown

3. SALES ACTIVITES - Activity type is any of Call, Conversation Session, Meeting, or Email sent to contact

Yesterday, I sent about 60 emails to "Leads." I did them all via the Tasks. And yet, none of my emails were counted as activities. So, I'm still confused. 

But, if I remove the Filter 4 regarding sequences, then I think I have a more accurate reporting. So, for Filter 4, the "Last sequence enrolled date is unknown" does not equate to: has never been enrolled in a sequence, I reckon. 

I think that might be my current problem. At the moment, we have stopped using sequences. But, if we use them again, I will need to somehow modify the report to include only those who have never been added to a sequence OR only added within the last 7 days. If you have any advice on that, let me know. If not, maybe I'll just remove Filter 4 for now and wait until we start untilizing the sequencing feature again. 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes