Dashboards & Reporting

MWright2

Report from lists

SOLVE

I want to create a report based on list data but I don't see that as an option anywhere, is that possible? If so, how do you do that?

1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Report from lists

SOLVE

@MWright2 you can do this with the Custom Report Builder and then using the List Membership criteria to build the report.

Jnix284_0-1674489963658.png

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
Franklandsam
Participant

Report from lists

SOLVE

@AHenggeler6 & @Jnix284 I would love to know if there is a way to do this. We were trying to create a report that shows list memberships as the data. NOT as the filter for the data. I would want to see the list names on the X axis and a count of contacts within each list on the Y.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

Report from lists

SOLVE

@Franklandsam as noted in my last reply to @AHenggeler6, it's not possible to report on list memberships as the data, only as a filter.

To clarify confusion around the solution for this post, my reply was accepted as the solution to the initial question, before it was clarified that the goal was to use list data for the report itself, not as the filter.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

Report from lists

SOLVE

@MWright2 you can do this with the Custom Report Builder and then using the List Membership criteria to build the report.

Jnix284_0-1674489963658.png

BeeLTeCxt9
Participant

Report from lists

SOLVE

So I try to do this and it doesn't work. Custom report, search list in source, but I cant add it to my configure section under anything (group by, values, compare by, fields, etc). Any idea why this might be? I'm also seeing this has been an issue for people going back to 2020. @Jnix284 have you actually created a report doing this?

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

Report from lists

SOLVE

@BeeLTeCxt9 can you share a little more about how you built the report and what you're trying to achieve?

I have built many reports using list membership, would be curious to see if I can build it out knowing what you're goal is.

BeeLTeCxt9
Participant

Report from lists

SOLVE

Just want to build a report based on a list, any list...does it only work with certain kind of reports? Like line graph vs a bar chart? 

0 Upvotes
BeeLTeCxt9
Participant

Report from lists

SOLVE

maybe its my datasources. What are your 2 data sources usually? @Jnix284 

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

Report from lists

SOLVE

@BeeLTeCxt9 data sources vary, usually I use it as a filter to limit the results of the chart based on membership of a list - how are you envisioning it in a chart?

What data from a list do you want to see in chart format?

0 Upvotes
EDeckers
Participant

Report from lists

SOLVE

This function only allows you to filter by specific list memberships. I'm currently looking to create a report that showcases membership numbers of very specific lists, and how they have changed from one time period to another time period.

This is for a lead nurturing dashboard I'm building, so I want to show for example:

Number of contacts added to list n#1, list n#2 and list #3 compared to number of contacts added to list n#1, n#2 and #3 in the previous 30 days. Ideally I'd want to show these as bar graphs, the same way you can showcase lead stages. It's to track progression through workflows, as workflow reporting itself isn't available yet beyond "is in workflow - true or false"

Any idea on how I could build this report using the existing feature?

AHenggeler6

Report from lists

SOLVE

@Jnix284 can you call a spade a spade here and confirm this isn't possible? I've been looking through a number of discussions and this always ends with no response. 

Assuming this isn't possible, is there a potential workaround? I was thinking a workflow to copy the list(s), but that seems impossible too.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

Report from lists

SOLVE

@AHenggeler6 I apologize if you thought my answer was vague, that wasn't my intention. I was trying to understand what they were trying to visualize so I could build it out in a test environment to confirm what was possible.

There are new list properties that were released between this original post and now, which includes an option to see the change in the list size over the last 7 days:

Jnix284_0-1709767844783.png

It might be worth exploring the new list properties to see if there is one that will work for the type of report you're trying to create.

When you view a contact record, you can also see the date they were added to a list:

Jnix284_1-1709767961651.png

I haven't had a chance to use the Lists API that's currently in Beta to see if this date can be pulled and copied to a contact record.

If the date can be accessed, it could be used to add a date to a custom property for the list membership and you could track it over time.

0 Upvotes
AHenggeler6

Report from lists

SOLVE

The answer is not vague - it's just no addressing the question.

We aren't looking to filter by a list.

We are trying to use a list as a row/column/field.  For example, I would like to make a pivot table that shows the number of contacts by lead status for each of my selected list memberships. If I use the filter, as you're saying, I would have to create a table for every list, which is no good.

Jnix284

Report from lists

SOLVE

@AHenggeler6 reporting only allows access to List Membership data via Contacts, there is no data source or object that can currently be added for Lists.

As I mentioned, List Properties were only recently made available and customizatable, I imagine reporting for lists is not far behind.

List Properties were added in Nov 2023:

Jnix284_0-1709769088314.png

You can read the details about custom properties for lists in the update here:

https://app.hubspot.com/product-updates/14497080/?offset=180&update=13911219 

replace 14497080 with your HubSpot portal ID to access from your account.

While you can't create a report from the custom properties, you could created filtered list views with those properties as columns which would allow you to see the data points you need.

So TLDR; No, you can't create a pivot table that shows the number of contacts broken out by lead status and list membership.

The only way is to create the pivot table for Lead Status and Count of Contacts, using the filter for the list membership - which as you said is not what you're looking to do.

0 Upvotes