Dashboards & Reporting

MThompson9

Populating "Next Step" custom deal property with most recent Task

SOLVE

I created a custom open text field called Deal Next Step to be updated by the deal owner to track the next step for the deal. I'd like to use Tasks to capture the next activities on a deal, and have these tasks auto-populate the Deal Next Step field. This would ideally be shown in the Properties Sidebar, as well as be able to be added to the Deals table as a column. 

This way reps wouldn't have to create a task, then manually update the Deal Next Step field, and I could easily see all open opportunities with their Deal Next Step in one table.

Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks to help make this happen.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MThompson9,

Correct, with a Professional subscription, you could create reports which will give you that exact insight and, for example, show open tasks by deal. Without reports and workflows, this is unfortunately not possible and I'm not aware of any workarounds. Automation ( = workflows) is required here.

(If you're open to explore Sales Hub Professional, let me know, happy to provide more help.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
MGetaneh

SOLVE

Hi, 
I am trying to auto-populate "Next Step" from another property using workflows. However, it does not seem to be working even after I turn on the workflow. Is there somewhere else I am supposed to check? 

0 Upvotes
KHill15
Participant

SOLVE

I'm interested in exactly this solution as well. It'd be super helpful to be able to look at the deal board and easily see the next step for each deal, and using tasks to power that automatically would be a lot easier than mkaing the reps fill it in manually.

We do have the pro license and access to workflows, but they don't seem to work with this use case. The problem I see is that workflows make it possible to copy properties from the main objects, like from a company to a contact, or a contact to a deal. However, there is not an option to copy a task property to a deal property. If anyone knows a workaround to this, I'd be happy to hear it!

MThompson9

SOLVE

Thanks for your quick reply @Anonymous . Unfortunately we are on the Starter CRM package and do not have access to the Workflows at this time.

I like the Deal Next Steps field as it is helpful to see the active pipeline sorted by probability with deal owner and clear Next Step right in one view. This is most helpful for my sales leaders to efficiently see what's happening with their team's pipelines, as well as pipeline reviews with the team. Tasks seem to be quite separated from the rest of HubSpot's Sales reporting and views, but maybe it's because we're not at a higher product tier? 

Thanks again!

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MThompson9,

Correct, with a Professional subscription, you could create reports which will give you that exact insight and, for example, show open tasks by deal. Without reports and workflows, this is unfortunately not possible and I'm not aware of any workarounds. Automation ( = workflows) is required here.

(If you're open to explore Sales Hub Professional, let me know, happy to provide more help.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

cyburdine
Participant

SOLVE

I have Hubspot Automation, and need to implement this exact use case.  Can you provide the instructions on how to implement this?  I've tried multiple times to build this workflow, but can't seem to figure it out.  I want to update the Deal Next Steps field with the title of the latest todo task associated with that deal.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Upvotes
annieg241
Contributor

SOLVE

I tried doing this and I have sales hub professional but it doesn't seem to be possible

MThompson9

SOLVE

Thanks @Anonymous for your response. Unfortunately Sales Hub Pro is not feasible at the moment, but will be in touch if that changes.

Best,

Matt

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MThompson9,

Do you have access to workflows? These would be required for what you're trying to achieve. Happy to walk you through the steps here – but I wanted to check first.

As a general question though, why does this information need to be in a custom property? Tasks are shown in the activity timeline of a deal (easily visible) and can also be found, by rep, under Menu > Sales > Tasks. You would be building something in a custom property that is already available by default.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler