Dashboards & Reporting

LetiRodriguez
Participant

Lead Source and Member of Campaign Report

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this isn't in the correct area but my issue kind of spans multiple areas.

I come from a SFDC and Marketo CRM/marketing automation background. My new company uses Hubspot CRM and automation. I'm in the process of cleaning a few things up, one of those being lead sources. My experience has always been that a lead source = website, webinar, content syndication, tradeshow, etc. My company has previously had lead source = the name of a campaign or event. We've changed that. My issue now is when I try to report on a specific campaign and show recent activity on the contact. Typically I would run a report that says: member of campaign = [campaign name] and campaign status = [status] or I would use lead source = [tradeshow] and member of campaign = [campaign name]. I'm discovering this isn't possible in Hubspot.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Or how to create a report that allows me to filter by a specific campaign and see the activity on the contact? I would create a custom field but you can't lock custom fields (which is a whole other issue!). Any help is very much appreciated.

1 Accepted solution
ndwilliams3
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

This is one of the challenges I've had with Hubpsot as the Sources are still geared towards Marketing automation and web based sources and doesn't really take into account CRM lead sources. While you can run attribution reports, there isn't a property on the contact record that tracks recent campaign or source. There are really only two major buckets for sources outside web based sources. Offline Sources and Other Campaigns.

That said, I created custom fields and a workflow to track lead sources that fall outside the defaults found in Original Source. 

These fields used for Imports, Forms (hidden field) or API integrations

Import Source (Dropdown)

Import Source Detail 1 (Single line Text)

Import Source Detail 2 (Single line Text)

These fields set by either the above fields or Original source fields

Lead Source  (Dropdown)

Lead Source Detail 1 (Single line Text)

Lead Source Detail 2 (Single line Text)

Logic

If Orginal source = Offline Sources & Import source is known

Copy Import Source > Lead Source

Copy Import Source Detail 1 > Lead SourceDetail 1 

Copy Import SourceDetail 2 > Lead SourceDetail 2

Else 

Copy Original Source > Lead Source

Copy Original Source Detail 1 > Lead SourceDetail 1 

Copy Original SourceDetail 2 > Lead SourceDetail 2

The above workflow only runs once on lead creation  so source doesn't get overwritten.

As far as campaign conversions, I use lists and the filter "has filled out ABC form on XYZ page" to track conversions for specific campaigns. This does require creating landing pages for each specific campaign and you wind up with lots of similar pages if you re-purpose content.

I'm hoping that Hubpsot does an overhaul of the sources to better align with CRM.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @LetiRodriguez 

I want to share with you this article from our Knowledge Base that could help: 

Understand 'Original source drill-down' properties (Original Source is the property used in HubSpot to track the source of a contact) 

You could also create a list from new/influenced contacts from the specific campaign, then use a custom property and create a custom report based on this property. 

I also wanted to tag in a few subject matter experts. @ndwilliams3 , @Josh , @MatthewShepherd do you have any suggestions for @LetiRodriguez  around how to best report on campaigns and original sources of the contacts? 

Have a lovely day!
Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
ndwilliams3
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

This is one of the challenges I've had with Hubpsot as the Sources are still geared towards Marketing automation and web based sources and doesn't really take into account CRM lead sources. While you can run attribution reports, there isn't a property on the contact record that tracks recent campaign or source. There are really only two major buckets for sources outside web based sources. Offline Sources and Other Campaigns.

That said, I created custom fields and a workflow to track lead sources that fall outside the defaults found in Original Source. 

These fields used for Imports, Forms (hidden field) or API integrations

Import Source (Dropdown)

Import Source Detail 1 (Single line Text)

Import Source Detail 2 (Single line Text)

These fields set by either the above fields or Original source fields

Lead Source  (Dropdown)

Lead Source Detail 1 (Single line Text)

Lead Source Detail 2 (Single line Text)

Logic

If Orginal source = Offline Sources & Import source is known

Copy Import Source > Lead Source

Copy Import Source Detail 1 > Lead SourceDetail 1 

Copy Import SourceDetail 2 > Lead SourceDetail 2

Else 

Copy Original Source > Lead Source

Copy Original Source Detail 1 > Lead SourceDetail 1 

Copy Original SourceDetail 2 > Lead SourceDetail 2

The above workflow only runs once on lead creation  so source doesn't get overwritten.

As far as campaign conversions, I use lists and the filter "has filled out ABC form on XYZ page" to track conversions for specific campaigns. This does require creating landing pages for each specific campaign and you wind up with lots of similar pages if you re-purpose content.

I'm hoping that Hubpsot does an overhaul of the sources to better align with CRM.

LetiRodriguez
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you @ndwilliams3! This has been incredibly helpful as I'm still getting used to HubSpot.

One question: did you set the contact enrollment trigger to: Original source = any of Offline Source? Or ould it be Orginal Source = is known? (In order to capture all NN contacts.) I've attached a screenshot as well. Sorry for the silly question!

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 3.15.16 PM.png 

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

SOLVE
Also, it you’re using any API connections, like zapier.com, that trigger a form submission. The original source comes in as Direct Traffic. So I also have a path for that case.

Original Source = Direct Traffic and Import Source is known.
ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

SOLVE
Sorry, was thinking about the if statement and totally forgot to mention enrollment. Enrollment = Original Source is known so all contacts get enrolled.
0 Upvotes