Dashboards & Reporting

Stijn
Teilnehmer/-in

Historical reporting

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple solution to report historical data about our customer's subscriptions for our software tool. A subscription is triggered by a subscription start date which overwrites the previous subscription date. This means the property history needs to be visualized which seems not to be possible with the standard reporting features. 

Does anyone know about a workaround, hack or (free) integration tool that can do this without having to export data on a daily/weekly basis and add it to an external database? 

7 Antworten
AM8
Stratege/Strategin

Historical reporting

@Stijn : Thank you for explaining the use case. The fact that subscriptions renew monthly is helpful.  Is the subscription cost per month fixed? Can you calculate the number of subscribers from the revenue collected for that month? 

I agree with @johnelmer that the ideal solution is to connect to a BI tool like Power BI or tableau (especially for past data). 

For the future subscribers you can use either of the methods you suggested - static list snapshot or making 12 properties that capture historical data per contact. It is a one time effort to set up the properties/lists and test the updating worklfow but it will get you the data you need. 
If I were you I'd make static lists ( they have more details about each contact in case you ever needed to dive deep) 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
0 Upvotes
johnelmer
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner

Historical reporting

@Stijn @Are you creating a new Deal for each and every transaction? This would capture multiple deals for the same contact and company. 

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

John Elmer, CEO
Bayard Bradford

Advanced CRM Implementation | HubSpot Custom Integration Services | Datawarehouse.io Apps for HubSpot
Elite HubSpot Solutions Partner
> Follow me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes
Stijn
Teilnehmer/-in

Historical reporting

Hi John,

tnx for thetip. I have been thinking about that earlier but I believe I left that path as there are limitations in nr of deals, or in deal workflow? Not sure anymore. Our subscriptions are in average 15 EUR/month, so we are expecting to acquire 1000's of customers and I'm not sure a deal workflow could support that. 

0 Upvotes
johnelmer

Historical reporting

@Stijn Can you get reporting from your ecommerce package? You need database functionality to do the kind of historical reporting you want.  Creating properties for each month ultimately isn't scalable. If you have thousands of deals, I'd suggest a setting up data warehouse for your transactions that you can connect to a BI tool like Power BI. Then you can integrate your HubSpot data into Power BI and get the full historical reporting you want.  There's no cheap or free workaround that I can think of that will scale with your volume of transactions.

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

John Elmer, CEO
Bayard Bradford

Advanced CRM Implementation | HubSpot Custom Integration Services | Datawarehouse.io Apps for HubSpot
Elite HubSpot Solutions Partner
> Follow me on LinkedIn
AM8
Stratege/Strategin

Historical reporting

Hi @Stijn : I am sorry I don't know of a way to visualize historical data, but I am curious to understand the business case behind this requirement.  

If each customer's subscription dates are unique ( becasue they get overwritten when a new subscription happens) , even if you are able to visualize historical data in a table, would that report provide any extra value? I am asking this becasue I can't think of any data trends that this report would provide and it seems like you would always look at individual cases which can be found by looking at property history. 

If the subscription dates have a pattern and a subscription renews after a certain period of time (say every month)... then one workaround would be to make a workflow that copies the subscription date to another property  (subs date1, subs date2, ) that doesn't automatically update.  

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
Stijn
Teilnehmer/-in

Historical reporting

Hi AM8,

Thanks for the reply. May be I'm not describing the issue properly. The use case is the following: 

We have users that subscribe to our service for a month. Some of them do not renew automatically and subscribe a couple of days, weeks or longer after their previous subscription expires. Or subscribe never again. For each month in the year, we want to see how many subscribers we had. Now if a user subscribed in let's say in October and December, I can still see that indiviually per contact, but I want to see the evolution for all contacts in a line chart over a timeline. And now, taking the above situation, the October subscription will not be counted in the report, as it is overwritten by the December subsctiption. Copying to another property is an option but is limited to x nr of months. If I want to see it over a year I should make 12 properties. A workaround is to make a snapshot at the end of each month in a static list or so, export it to another a spreadsheet and add it to previous months to build the graph. I was hoping to avoid that step. 

JessicaH
HubSpot-Alumnus/Alumna
HubSpot-Alumnus/Alumna

Historical reporting

Hi @Stijn

Thanks for reaching out.
I want to tag in some subject matter experts to see if they have any suggestions.
Hi @AdamLPW @MAC-MCB @AM8, do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Jess 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes