Dashboards & Reporting

MattLM

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Hi all

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but, I cant find it.  It seems the dealstage funnel is only worth looking at if every one of your deals enters through all of the stages.  Is there a way to make it representative of deals at each stage instead?  

Or am i misunderstanding the use of this report?

Thanks for your help

Matt

1 Accepted solution
MattF
Solution
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

I opened my mouth too soon apparently, as I figured out how to recreate this in the custom reporting tool.

From what I can see at first glance, this appears to have captured ALL our deals and any instance where they have touched any other stage. If anybody notices different when they recreate in their own HS, let me know!

Steps are as follows in the pics:

Step 1.PNGStep 2.PNG

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18
davidoudiette
Participant

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

There isn't. I created another post with a suggestion taken from a competitor that I wish HubSpot would consider. If you think it makes sense, you can search for my post called "Sales Pipeline Won/Lost Per Deal Stage" and upvote it (HubSpot won't let me link to it directly for some reason).

roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Hey @MattLM have you used the deal pipelin report?

Pipeline reports show you the number of contacts that have had any of the selected lifecycle stages during the time period selected, regardless of the order their stages change. For example, if a contact was created, became a subscriber, then went straight to customer without first becoming a lead, the contact will be reflected in the Created, Subscriber, and Customer columns in the example below. 

If you'd like to instead see how many contacts or deals currently exist in each stage, add the Contacts by LifecycleStage widget or the Deal Snapshot widget, respectively. These widgets can be added by clicking Add report in the upper right-hand corner of your dashboard in your marketing or sales account. On the left, click Customizable > Contacts for the Contacts by Lifecycle Stage widget, or click Sales > Deals for the Deal Snapshot widget. 

While the pipeline report above will show you contacts or deals who have had any of the selected lifecycle or deal stages, funnel reports show you only the number of contacts or deals in each stage that moved through the selected stages in order (i.e. Created > Marketing Qualified Lead > Customer) within the specified time period.

The report also calculates conversion rates at each step, showing you the percentage of contacts who moved from one stage to the next in the funnel. In the same example used above for contacts, if a contact was created, became a subscriber, then went straight to customer without ever becoming a lead, the contact will be reflected in Created, and Subscriber, but not Customer in the example below. 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Hey @roisinkirby, will you please update this example showing Deal Stages (when you have time)? It would help this all make more sense if we could see an example showing Deal Stages in the Pipeline Report.

Thanks in advance.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
MattF
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

There is no way to reacreate the Contact Lifecycle as a Deal stage report. And the fact that other people mentioned where a deal almost never touches every stage of the sales process makes the Deal Funnel report basically useless.

I've seen other posts noting that a true Deal Lifecycle report (one that shows how many deals touch each stage no matter the order) is possible to be created in the custom reporting tool, but I have seen no direction on how this is done.

Our CEO directly is asking for a report that can only be built with this information and I'd hate to tell him that our CRM doesn't support it when the inverse is possible with a Contact.

Any actual solutions available?

MattF
Solution
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

I opened my mouth too soon apparently, as I figured out how to recreate this in the custom reporting tool.

From what I can see at first glance, this appears to have captured ALL our deals and any instance where they have touched any other stage. If anybody notices different when they recreate in their own HS, let me know!

Steps are as follows in the pics:

Step 1.PNGStep 2.PNG

KamiIguana

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Hi!

We are new in Hubspot and trying to build our own report for Deal funnels as MattF has explained. 

Could you be so kind to guide us and explain how you get to this page with mentioned filters: Step 1.PNGStep 2.PNG

Thanks so much!

0 Upvotes
trudy
Participant

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

@MattF

I'm not seeing any of the settings under "measures" availables as options to choose. Any chance you could walk us through step-by-step? Would be greatly appreciated!

0 Upvotes
MattF
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

@trudy Sorry for the late reply.

The measures in my screenshot will only show up if you're using the Deals Funnel as the basis for your Object Type. First step when creating a custom report is to select that. In doing so, you should be able to select the Deal Stage and then pipeline shown in the Measures section, followed by the Count to establish the report.

0 Upvotes
MeganB

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Hi @MattF

Is it possible the custom reports have changed? I'm trying to build the same custom report you did but the Measures parameter does not have an option to show Deal Stages by Count of Deal. This is what I'm seeing:Deal Stage Funnel custom report.JPG

In the Measures section, all I can do is change "All" to "Any" and below that it'll only allow me to add each deal stage I would want to see data from. But this basically recreates the same Deal Stage Funnel that we're all trying to replace.

0 Upvotes
MattF
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Looks like you might be right! This is what my current view looks like when I go to Edit:

Example.PNG

0 Upvotes
MeganB

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Well shoot!

0 Upvotes
MattF
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

That should work though if you use your deal stages. I would assume the same logic should apply and could get you the same result! Let me know if it works!

0 Upvotes
MeganB

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

That kind of works. It still counts the deal each time it switches stages, similar to the Contact Lifecycle Pipeline. So I have 17 "Created" deals but the total number of deals within the stages below adds up to 25 because some of those deals have moved. But maybe eventually my conversion rates will balance out?

As @roisinkirby mentioned above, the Deal Snapshot widget captures the current deals within each stage so visually it's like a horizontal funnel but that doesn't track the conversion rate.

0 Upvotes
Evan_Biller
Participant

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

@MattF Did you just edit off of the Deal Stage Funnel and save from there? Or did you go into Sales Professional Dashboard to create a new custom dashboard?

Nice job figuring this out. It's been frustrating me the past couple weeks.

All the best,

E.

0 Upvotes
MattF
Top Contributor

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Sorry @Evan_Biller, I totally missed this response.

I took the logic of the Contact Funnel and just recreated and tweaked it for the Deal Stages in a custom dashboard. It works well enough, but obviously the ultimate goal would to be able to drill into this and see, from a Deal standpoint, which stages each one hit and when to help with conversion rates.

I'd like to use this to forecast eventually so being able to figure out the probability of a deal closing based on each stage would be ideal!

0 Upvotes
Evan_Biller
Participant

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

Definitely! And, thanks for the reply.

Let me know if you get any further on that. I'd be interested to stay in the loop.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
samitay
Participant

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

I still struggle with the fact that even though you change this - you still have to manually figure out the conversion rates. And I also struggle with not being able to retroactively re-assign deals so they are put through all the stages....

cmulcahey
Participant

Deal Stage funnel

SOLVE

@roisinkirby these other widgets (Contact Lifecycle Funnel and Contact Lifecycle Pipeline) don't show what we want the Deal Stage Funnel to show.  They don't show the deal stages.  And therefore none of the widgets show what any salesperson I've talked to about this is looking for.  Can you explain why the Deal Stage Funnel only shows deals that touched every stage in the pipeline?  Because deals almost never do that.  So it doesn't make any sense to me or any salesperson I know.

The Deal Stage Funnel widget will be a very useful tool when it's fixed.  Remove the current limitation and it will show sales reps and CEOs exactly what they want to see.  I hope this helps.