Dashboards & Reporting

JWalczak
Contributor

Create an activity type report (email, meeting, call) and filter by deal stage

SOLVE

Hello. I'd like to measure BD activity - where a call, meeting, email are logged but be able to filter by deal stage.

Why is this important. Some of activities logged against deals further down the deal pipeline are now existing clients, so these are no longer BD activities. 

Therefore, i would like to see an activity type report, by user, by certain deal stages to be able to truly measure accurate BD activities in the earlier stages of the deal pipeline.

The same goes for Contacts that do not have a deal associated to them and would be classified as a BD activity.

Thanks, 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JWalczak,

It's unfortunately not possible to create reports that visualize which deal stage an activity happened in. You can display activities by deal stage, but this will show you how many activities there were for a deal that is now in a specific deal stage. In the visualization, they will not spread accordingly across the deal stages when they originally occured.

As a workaround, you might be able to filter for the activity owner. I'd assume that BD activity comes from specific BD users? This would work the same for contacts and deals. In fact, if you want to see this information across these two objects, why look at the object at all. You could simply look at activities by BD owners.

Heads-up, some report customization requires a Professional subscription. (If you don't have one but are evaluating purchasing one, let me know!)

Navigate to Menu > Reports > Reports > Create report > Search reports and search for 'Activity leaderboard by rep with type breakdown'. Click on the report and use the filters on the left (click on AND) to set a filter for Activity assigned to. This is where you can select your BD users.

You should now see only activity assigned to these users, effectively only BD activities. You can further customize the report to your needs, depending on your subscription level.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ANazarian
Participant

SOLVE

Is this capability on the roadmap - if so, when? If not, is there another 3rd party reporting tool that is capable of reporting this? 

We are interested in seeing not only a) the time a deal typically takes for each stage, but also b) the number of activities (meetings, emails, calls, etc.).

0 Upvotes
johnelmer
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@ANazarian You might consider the HubSpot Integration for Power BI, which is available in the HubSpot App Marketplace.  By using the integration to make your HubSpot data available in Microsoft Power BI, you can build the kind of reports you were asking about.  An you will be able to create an automated data refresh schedule so that each time you open Power BI, the most recent HubSpot data is used to update your report.

If you are more accustomed to Excel, take a look at the Excel Integration for HubSpot.  Using this app, your HubSpot data can be set up to refresh in Excel on a regularly scheduled basis. 

Both apps have a free trial, so you can see what best fits your needs.
Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

John Elmer, CEO
Bayard Bradford

Advanced CRM Implementation | HubSpot Custom Integration Services | Datawarehouse.io Apps for HubSpot
Elite HubSpot Solutions Partner
> Follow me on LinkedIn
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JWalczak,

It's unfortunately not possible to create reports that visualize which deal stage an activity happened in. You can display activities by deal stage, but this will show you how many activities there were for a deal that is now in a specific deal stage. In the visualization, they will not spread accordingly across the deal stages when they originally occured.

As a workaround, you might be able to filter for the activity owner. I'd assume that BD activity comes from specific BD users? This would work the same for contacts and deals. In fact, if you want to see this information across these two objects, why look at the object at all. You could simply look at activities by BD owners.

Heads-up, some report customization requires a Professional subscription. (If you don't have one but are evaluating purchasing one, let me know!)

Navigate to Menu > Reports > Reports > Create report > Search reports and search for 'Activity leaderboard by rep with type breakdown'. Click on the report and use the filters on the left (click on AND) to set a filter for Activity assigned to. This is where you can select your BD users.

You should now see only activity assigned to these users, effectively only BD activities. You can further customize the report to your needs, depending on your subscription level.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

JWalczak
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler I actually managed to work out a report to be abe to see activity created only in the first 2 stages of the deal pipeline. Remember i wasn't looking to see 'which deal stage an activity happened in' rather where an acitivity was created in a deal and then filter by specific stages.

My Report is filtered by:

Deal stage is any of X and Y

Activities: Create date is Last month

Activity type: is known

Activity created by: is known

This allows me to see activities only in the first two deals stages that are defined as opportunity identified and pursuing. Further down the deal pipeline they become won - clients or lost etc.. 

I am speaking from the property, construction industry here, but the role of a BD (Business Development Manager) certainly does not just inlcude talking to leads and trying to bring in sales aka BD activities. They nurture these potential leads and turn them into clients - a win. BD's are defintiely still logging activities against contacts/deals that are now existing clients (whilst they are no longer BD specific activities, they are now activities against a new client but made by the same user). So a report just on activity by certain users would not work but thank you for the suggestion on this.  

thanks again 🙂 

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello @JWalczak,

With those report settings, you're not seeing activities created in those two deal stages; you're seeing activities associated to deals which are currently in this stage. It might be the same, but once those deals move on to other stages, the associated activities will not appear in this report anymore.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler