Dashboards & Reporting

Shinojosa
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

When cleaning data, what are some good processes that have been successful for others?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cleaning Data

SOLVE
11 Replies 11
BrianCarter
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Hey there,

I'd also take into consideration how much data you have and how "dirty" it might be, to be able to understand the grasp of the work ahead.

Do you have someone working on this full-time?

Best,

Brian

0 Upvotes
Shinojosa
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your input!  We are new to HubSpot and are trying to develop a process for regularly cleaning our data.  I have gone through some resources to understand some of the basic features of cleaning data such as looking through our bounced and duplicate contacts.  It will take some time to go through this process and I also plan to standardize how we input our data.  My hope is that through performing some of these tasks, we can create more relevant reports.  Do you have any other recommendations outside of those things that I mentioned? Thanks for any help that you may provide.

0 Upvotes
BrianCarter
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Happy to help! I've done an overhaul for a few organizations and each had "bad or outdated data". The best piece of advice I can offer - make sure to prioritize which "clean up" tasks are going to have a big impact/quick impact. You and your team could easily spend a ton of hours and effort cleaning things up, but it may not be super useful.

I've always started my analysis by determining what properties are relevant and which aren't. How do we use X? Should it be required or is it a nice to have?

There are third-party integrations that help in updating data in HubSpot, which might be useful.

Hope this helps!

Brian

0 Upvotes
maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

@BrianCarter , this was really helpful advice. Do you have a template that you use, or a formalized / documented process to approach cleaning data? Maybe a list of questions you use to determine which properties are relevant vs not?

I'm starting a new community board this week for operations folks and this would be a perfect, perfect topic to discuss or thing to share; I'm looking for thought leaders with ideas like yours. Please, let me know if this interests you! I'd love to tell you more. 

BrianCarter
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Hey Maggie - it's definitely something I can create. Let's chate via email - bcarter@decisionlens.com

Shinojosa
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Thank you Brian. It's July and I am still trying to get control of our data. It's coming along, but I know there is still a lot of work to be done.  It's tough moving forward with bigger projects until our data is cleaned up.  I'll be glad to hear any other updates on this topic.

0 Upvotes
BrianCarter
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Feel free to shoot over some of the larger scale items you're looking to accomplish!

Shinojosa
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Brian, I appreciate the offer.  I have a few meetings coming up this week to discuss our path forward.  I'll be glad to reach out to you when I have clearer goals in place. 

Shinojosa
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

Brian, 

Wow! Thank you so much for that perspective.  I am new to this and appreciate all the help I can get. In your experience, what are some general things that have made a big/quick impact to organizations?  I have tried pouring over different reports that are important to sales teams and I feel like it is setting me on the right direction, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.  

Steve

0 Upvotes
BrianCarter
Contributor

Cleaning Data

SOLVE

The best approach I can say is finding the quicks wins to get initial "buy-in" and mention what is to come later on. Some of the small and quick wins that companies get stuck on are:

• Basic sales pipeline reports and forecasting - many organizations need basic transparency into their pipeline (likelihood of closing, when, tracking cost, etc.)
  • Pick someone that has a strong process and uses HubSpot and make their job easier. In my current role, we had a BDR that used HubSpot religiously but crafted a lot of manual emails. So I took his email templates, optimized them, and put them into a sequence. This sequence saves him 1-2 hours/daily and gives him the insight into performance. Once that was done, I had a story to tell to get people bought into using the CRM.
  • Getting rid of "bad data" by filtering out what isn't needed - pretty straight forward

Hope this helps!

Brian

jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cleaning Data

SOLVE