Customer Feedback Tool

DSkulski

number of opens

SOLVE

It appears that when I send a message (email) with HubSpot tracking it records as an "open" if I go to my sent items folder and look at it to check to see if it had been opened. That doesn't seem right to me. If I open it myself that shouldn't count.

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

number of opens

SOLVE

Hi @DSkulski 

The way "opens" are calculated is based on a tracking code linked to a 1x1 px invisible "image" called a pixel. If this pixel is rendered, it counts as an open. So if you open the email from your sent folder and it renders the image, it will show in the timeline as being opened.

If you want to avoid this, you can re-read your emails from the contact timeline instead of in your sent folder.

Hope this helps explain the "why"

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

number of opens

SOLVE

Hi @DSkulski,

You can block these self-open email notifications with the HubSpot Sales extension, please find the steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/block-self-open-notifications-with-the-hubspot-sales-ou...

Email service providers / clients seem to be running inbox check to protect their users from fraud and to pre-load emails for a better user experience. I'm not aware of Microsoft or Google disclosing how exactly this is done, but I wouldn't overthink that there isn't a pattern to it.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

number of opens

SOLVE

Hi @DSkulski,

You can block these self-open email notifications with the HubSpot Sales extension, please find the steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/block-self-open-notifications-with-the-hubspot-sales-ou...

Email service providers / clients seem to be running inbox check to protect their users from fraud and to pre-load emails for a better user experience. I'm not aware of Microsoft or Google disclosing how exactly this is done, but I wouldn't overthink that there isn't a pattern to it.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Jnix284
Solution

number of opens

SOLVE

Hi @DSkulski 

The way "opens" are calculated is based on a tracking code linked to a 1x1 px invisible "image" called a pixel. If this pixel is rendered, it counts as an open. So if you open the email from your sent folder and it renders the image, it will show in the timeline as being opened.

If you want to avoid this, you can re-read your emails from the contact timeline instead of in your sent folder.

Hope this helps explain the "why"

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

0 Upvotes
DSkulski

number of opens

SOLVE

Thanks a lot for the explanation; it makes sense. However, what I observe isn't consistent. Many times I will check a sent mesage and no opens are reported; if my own check is being counted I would expect the number to increase each time but it often remains at zero.

0 Upvotes