Customer Feedback Tool

MJarvis
Participant

Hubspot NPS and CSAT surveys are occassionally returning incorrect responses

SOLVE

This is a strange issue. We've had half a dozen customers submit a negative score (detractor) in response to our NPS survey, as well as 'Unhappy' faces for our CSAT survey. However, these are not the responses the customers themselves submitted. We have a workflow set up that creates a task for our customer service team to follow up detractors and unhappy ratings.

However, when our customer service team phone the customer to ask them what their reason is for scoring us negatively, almost every customer says that they didn't give us a low NPS or an unhappy face. In fact, they feel the opposite and say they gave us a 10 rating for NPS and a happy face for CSAT. Has anyone else encountered this? With the customer's permission, we've deleted these false survey submissions since they are skewing our metrics.

What could be causing the incorrect submissions?

1 Accepted solution
MJarvis
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

This is an update to my post. I've received a response from Hubspot support and they have come across this issue with other customers. This was Hubspot's response:

"We have seen some instances where customers have had these false detractor responses as well. Most of the time, this has something to do with the client's email security settings. The way that some of the email clients work, is the software automatically clicks on every link in the email to check for malicious content. Since the 0 Score is the first link that shows up in the email under the scoring section, HubSpot might be mistakenly recording that as their "response" as that."

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
scottflanigan
Participant | Gold Partner
Participant | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Been a minute on this thread...

Came across this recently. I've been loosely associated with Service CSAT/CSET/NPS efforts a few times throughout my career but never in a capacity to dig through results and question viability. With most of those organizations they either didn't have the bandwidth or weren't sophisticated enough to put in place ops to follow up with all detractors or those that didn't leave comments... 

Recently we've built a feedback/ticketing system for NPS (to support testimonials, reviews, and the marketing possibilities) and found that a decent number of NPS Detractors were actually triggered by "erroneous feedback clicks".. likely email security crawlers/settings that accidentally registered feedback.. It wasn't just 0's or 1's but some 4's, 5's, and 6's as well.

We haven't fully explored if this applies to other Passives/Promoters that didn't provide feedback—however the unfortunate aspect is that it throws the rest of the response data set into question.

Curious if anyone has more experience/feedback or performed additional tests and can add some insight?

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thank you for sharing @MJarvis 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MJarvis,

This sounds like a bug – I would take this up with HubSpot technical support to investigate. Until this is resolved, I'd also recommend not to delete any submissions – otherwise it's going to be harder for support to dig into this and find out what's really happening.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MJarvis
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @karstenkoehler! I've contacted Hubspot support and awaiting a response. Thanks for the advice, we'll refrain from deleting further false responses to enable them to investigate further.

Cheers,
Marc

MJarvis
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

This is an update to my post. I've received a response from Hubspot support and they have come across this issue with other customers. This was Hubspot's response:

"We have seen some instances where customers have had these false detractor responses as well. Most of the time, this has something to do with the client's email security settings. The way that some of the email clients work, is the software automatically clicks on every link in the email to check for malicious content. Since the 0 Score is the first link that shows up in the email under the scoring section, HubSpot might be mistakenly recording that as their "response" as that."

amandaulm
Contributor

SOLVE

I very much appreciate this post, and the update/answer. I believe this is happening to my company as well, and it at least explains why it's happening.

My problem and question to HubSpot is - what are we meant to do about it? I don't see a way to re-order the faces in the CSAT survey so an auto-click would be happy or neutral instead of the sad face, even. It definitely doesn't make sense as an organization to just ignore or delete every negative feedback without an accompanying comment, or to just accept that we'll have a baseline amount of false negatives.

If this can't be resolved within HubSpot, I'm going to have to build a separate feedback solution outside of HubSpot, which is hugely inefficient and a significant waste of resources.

A standard practice in online forms is to include a "honeypot" type of hidden checkbox that would only ever be clicked by a spambot, and humans never see it. This set of feedback responses needs a similar mechanism that can identify and filter out auto-clicker email client responses automatically.