Custom Quote Template Beta

jmclaren
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

What do you think of the custom quotes functionality right now?

SOLVE

Hey all,

As we work on iterating and improving this functionality we want to make sure we're solving for your needs. We want to hear your feedback.

Was there anything you expected to be able to do with custom quote templates that you couldn't?

What was the main reason you wanted to create a custom quote template?

If you had a magic wand, what is the highest priority change you would want to see happen to this functionality? 

Do you have prior experience building on HubSpot's CMS? Does it feel like a natural extension of that experience or does it feel weird/confusing?

If you had a magic wand and could change anything about the quotes feature of HubSpot, what would it be? can be templates related, could be billing frequency options, could be the interface, anything

Jon McLaren

Sr. CMS Developer Advocate

Get started developing on the HubSpot CMS Developer Changelog
How to optimize your CMS Hub site for speed

If my reply answered your question, please mark it as a solution, to make it easier for others to find.

1 Accepted solution
RussJB
Participant

SOLVE

Hi 

If I'm understanding you correctly. this is already possible. 

For example. 

{{ DEAL.dealname }} will pull in the Name given to the deal. 

You can also pull in your custom properties using the same method. {{ DEAL.custom_property }}. custom_property is the internal identifier of the property. credit to @amandaulm for this solution. 

I'm struggling to pull in all the properties selected from a multi-select custom property adding a special character (' / -) between them at the moment but date/ text, the multiline text seems good. 

Hope this helps. 

72 Replies 72
RedlistRob
Contributor

SOLVE

I can't seem to find a way to apply a negative line item. For example we're a SaaS company with various user pricing. we'll often have customer that will upgrade their license type necessitating the removal of one license (lesser cost) and the addition of a higher priced license. We need the ability to apply negative quantities that would remove the license. applying this as a 1 time discount doesn't make sense to the customer because this is a complete license change. 

SashaMarie

SOLVE

I can't easily make a ship to and bill to address (we work in building materials industry) and there are several parties involved in the purchasing process. However, it's not easy to just have a bill to and ship to which is probably the simplest form of an invoice. Is there any way around this? Also tracking. 

OptiCoolBentley
Participant

SOLVE

If I could upvote this 1000000 times, I would... 

0 Upvotes
JMacDonald81
Participant

SOLVE

Please make it user friendly for us non-coders. An interface similar to creating a landing page would be ideal. 

KatBurgess
Participant

SOLVE

Can you remove this field from the Quote template - as you can see from the 2nd snip it is laying the url on top of my text in the qote: 

KatBurgess_0-1673883128618.pngKatBurgess_1-1673883183973.png

Raij
Participant

SOLVE

The final PDF when downloaded really looks so messy! These offer documents, for sure, will needed to be stored or shared within the department of our customers. On the web, it looks uniform but then everything is messed up when downloaded. We want to have all our offer documents to be made internally within Hubspot but we couldn't because of this formatting problem.

Another thing, hopefully the quote can be downloaded even if it is not published yet. It's a great help to double-check the final format before sending out to customers. Thank you!

NarrowBoatJim
Participant

SOLVE

There is an Integration that fixes this issue available in the HubSpot Marketplace. Its called Chargebee Quote to Cash.

Quote to Cash can automatically calculate Sales Tax on quotes from the HubSpot Sales Hub and issue credit card and digital payments links with the correct tax added and calculated direct from HubSpot.

True Digital Payments for HubSpot at last!!!!

0 Upvotes
KJonsson
Contributor

SOLVE

I mean, honestly the customizer is highly dissappointing. I've been following this in the last couple of months and I think the result is far, far from my expectations. I've worked with severeal Quote designers, like PandaDocs, GetAccept, Proposales and others - and compared to them, HubSpots new Quote Customizer is just... well, uncomparable. 

It sticks out like a sore thumb when everything else in HubSpot is so easily accessible and thought-through. 

What I'd have loved to see is a Template Customizer working with modules, like drag n drop style. Basically like Sequences are built, using editable blocks. This is how you design pages in Wordpress Gutenberg, and even Hubspot nowadays. It's how you build e-mail templates in Mailchimp. It's how you design forms in form services like Ninja Forms. It's how you design quotes in basically any quote designer online.

But in Hubspot you either have to settle with being able to change existing fonts in a locked template OR buy the CMS Starter kit and literally program quotes from the ground up using HTML and CSS? I'm dumbfounded by all this. Quotes are such a vital part of a business and here we are, I basically can't use any of these tools and I'm stuck with using third party services to design quotes.

So my question is: why?

cbugenhagen
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Jon,

I would love to see the ability to add documents to the quote feature, or have the ability to upload and send contracts for electronic signature.  For example: a standard licensing agreement needs to be signed with all our customers. If we could attach that licensing agreeemnt for electronic signature when sending the quote that would be ideal, but I would take being able to send them as a separate document for e-signature.  As the quotes feature stands right now, it just isn't working for my sales team because we still have to send quotes/licensing agreements manually through Word documents and PDF. 

GWebb2
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi Jon

I've been reading through this thread with interest as I have a client who is in the process of moving to HS and is using customisable quotes.  Overall I think we are getting there but two glaring issues for them are:

1. The ability to set tax as a default - they will always want VAT on their quotes and having to add it in each time manually is clunky and open to errors.
2. The quantity field is still rounding up, they want to be able to quote on consultancy hours down to half hour blocks, keying in 37.5 hrs results in round up to 38 - pretty critical for them.

Is there any update about when these things might be added?

Many thanks!

TBucciarelli
Participant

SOLVE

@ethankopit Still open to ideas / feedback?

- Organization of quote templates would be helpful. At least one level of folders would be good.

- We build quotes with large text objects. Our templates provide these large sections of text and we can add them to a quote based on some logic. This is all good, but sometimes we need to customize those text objects for the individual client. Right now, the only way to do this is to create a "template" for each individual client that requires such customization. It would be much more useful if there were a part of the quote creation process that loads up the default text from the quote object, but allows that section of text to be edited before the quote is finalized.

Southern
Participant

SOLVE

Hello @ethankopit 

We have just switched over to the custome template per our email correspondance.

I have 2 issues that are a problem for us.

The comments  terms boxes are overidden when you have wording set up in the template, we still need to be able to add freeform text at the quote creation stage for any special information required outside of our standard terms & conditions.

The main issue we have is how the page breaks work when printing/viewing the pdf of the quote. Its all chopped up, weirdly compressed and very poor in appearance.  I did see this mentioned in a prior post in this thread.

We send the pdf to our clients in preferece to having them have to log in and retrieve from within hubspot. 

Thanks 

joelgrossman
Participant

SOLVE

The biggest failing of the Quote tool is the inability to gather information in the quote from the person signing the quote.  I would really like to be able to have the quote itself gather:

• contact information (name, email, phone number) of the accounts payable person
  • Legal business info (name, address, EIN)

If you REALLY want to impress, the ability to accept credit card info in a PCI-compliant manner (e.g. securely push it to Chargebee), etc.

Thanks,

joel

GTooher
Participant

SOLVE

When I download a quote the way it saves as a PDF is not professional looking eg. certain sections are split into two. Is there any way to make sure a section is not broken up eg. if the new page is happening on the doc it will happen before or after the section it is splitting in two? Sorry probably hard to explain screenshot example attached.Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 20.27.49.png

Southern
Participant

SOLVE

This is a big problem for us as we wmail the pdf to clients and it looks terrible.

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

If you're unsure if the message above applies to you, click the migration guide and it will walk you through how to determine if it applies to you.

0 Upvotes
ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey folks - I just want to give a gentle reminder that starting July 12th, we will no longer support templates of templateType: proposal in the Quote Template dropdown in Quotes. These templates will disappear from the dropdown and users will not be able to use them to generate Quotes. If they are actively using these templates, this will be very frustrating. 

Please migrate your templates from templateType: proposal --> templateType: quote so that you can continue to create custom quotes! If you created custom quote templates for folks in the past, please contact them to migrate those templates. We will be contacting high-usage customers through your Customer Success Manager or Channel Account Manager as well. 

You can find our handy-dandy migration guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cv3p4wnbjkNmkvvU_r9A_wjFZVuN_gLuUJpp4SO4Tyw/edit?usp=sharing

0 Upvotes
jmclaren
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

@BRAWAT Some good news there. We're aiming to make it so that custom modules in the template will be editable just like you experience with CMS Hub. So you will eventually be able to have either a rich text field that you can create lists like that, or you can use a module with a repeater - if that enables you to do something that fits your business better. This is part of why we made the big under-the-hood changes earlier this year. 

As for attachements, in the rich text sections you should be able to link to images, documents, videos, etc. Once we get the quote editing experience for the sales rep further along, it should be possible to use modules like our video module. Additionally modules have file and image field types available to them. A developer would be needed to create the module itself.

I don't have an ETA for that functionality right now but we are very excited to put it into everyones hands.

Jon McLaren

If my reply answered your question, please mark it as a solution, to make it easier for others to find.

BRAWAT
Participant

SOLVE

That's wonderful. 
Any way to get early access to that whenever you are ready?

0 Upvotes
jmclaren
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

I believe the current plan is that everyone that is currently in this beta will get access to that functionality once it's ready. I do not anticipate a separate opt-in.

Jon McLaren