Custom Quote Template Beta

ethankopit
by: HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

It's time! The next phase of the custom quotes beta! [Action Required]

Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know about some changes to the custom quote beta as of today. You might have noticed a few weeks ago that I mentioned that we were working on a new base theme for quotes. Well, the time has come! We’ve released that template (you’ll find it in your @hubspot folder) and it’s called cms-quotes-theme. 

To provide an even better developer experience and unlock a variety of powerful features (no-code template editing, content permissions), we’re asking customers to make a few changes to their custom quote/proposal templates. Specifically, the new base theme (cms-quotes-theme) represents the best practices for building custom quote templates. We’re asking you to review this new theme and use it as the new standard for their templates.

Some of the core differences between the new base theme and the old theme are…

1. The templates in the new theme (cms-quotes-theme) have templateType: quote, whereas the old templates have templateType: proposal. 
  2. The templates in cms-quotes-theme are built from modules, which allow our team to offer features like the new quote template editor.
  3. The new theme has the latest data retrieval syntax, so you’ll get access to the maximum amount of data includable in your template. Plus, the new template contains new, easier to use default versions of the Payment, E-Sign, and Download modules. 

Starting July 1st, you will no longer be able to generate quotes based on templates of templateType: proposal. So, please review our updated custom quotes developer documentation and migrate your templates! If you do not update your templates’ templateType to “quote” from “proposal” you will lose the ability to create quotes based on them.

In addition to the documentation, we’ve also created a quickstart guide on how to migrate templates here. However, the documentation is our source of truth.

•  
16 Comments
finn
Top Contributor

WHEN will we be able to hide all quote templates, in particular the "standard" Hubspot ones, that we don't want sales people to be confused by, or even use?

JeffBantz
Contributor

Agree with @finn here - in our implementation we will never use the standard quotes because of needed customization.
It would be super helpful to be able to disable display of standard quotes (maybe from within a setting on the Account side?)

Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

Hi @ethankopit,

Great update! Similar to @JeffBantz, we never made enough progress on the original versions to really need them in the future.

I did test creating a template with the new feature and tried using the personalization tokens for various objects, but nothing is pulling through to the quote when using the template. Is there something from a technical perspective I need to do for it to pull data from object types? 

Josh

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@finn we're actually building the ability to manage which templates appear in the dropdown right now 🙂 in the first iteration, you'll be able to show/hide the legacy templates, but all custom templates will still show. Then, we'll introduce the ability to show/hide the custom templates on a template by template basis.

@Josh can you give me a link to a template where that's happening? 

Josh

Thanks @ethankopit - PM sent.

finn
Top Contributor

As long as sales people can choose:

- any template including the default Hubspot ones that we will never use and must prevent sales people from using by accident, and

- from in our case 5 different domains rather than the single one we want them to use

then sales people can make too many mistakes / be confused about what to use, and we cannot use the quoting functionality. Sad, as that makes the whole customization functionality irrelevent.

jmclaren
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey there  @finn , great feedback. 

Right now in this phase of the beta our focus is on making the development and editing experience really good. The point of a custom quote is that you should be able to have your quote visually look how you want it to look.

We hear you though that you want ways to put up guard rails. That makes perfect sense. 

Could you expand a little bit about how you would want that domain limit to work? Does it make sense for this to be tied to the team in HubSpot that the sales user is on? I ask because some companies might use domains for alternate brands their company owns, so they may have sales teams that operate from other domains.

finn
Top Contributor
Regarding domains:
It could be a simple as selecting a single domain that applies to all quotes. That would work for us.
Slightly more sophisticated: setting a domain per template.

But what I want to avoid is having sales people to choose domain inside the single template. Right now they can even choose e.g. hs-sites.com in our portal. That is simply not workable.
ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@finn we're actually actively working on a setting that (1) allows you to set a global quote domain for the portal AND (2) a feature to set domain template by template. 

You should see the domain being removed from the wizard soon (as the other options become available). 

mangelet
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

@ethankopit are there news on the main domain for quotes setting?

mangelet
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

@jmclaren are there news on the select a "default" quote template for quotes?

RSmola
Participant

Can I get into the Beta for custom quotes?  What do I need to do to get into the Beta?

callie
Contributor

2 thoughts since our implementation of customizable quote templates:

1. In standard quotes, when you viewed a signed copy, the audit trail was immediately viewable. now we have to download in order to see the audit trail. can this be adjusted?
  2. In the standard quote for both modern and original:
    1. the recipients job title showed - it does not show in the customizable quote version if that was our base template
    2. the comments box did not show if there were no comments left by the quote creator - now it shows always, even if the box is blank

RSmola
Participant

We had to cancel our Hubspot subscription since there are no options to actually create a quotes template to fit our needs.  

rodericks
Contributor

Hey @ethankopit,

I see that we now can chose the language. However, when I select Dutch, I still see that the discount part at the line-items, are still in English. Will this be translated soon? 

Besides that, is there a possibility that you can choose which company has to be on the quote? Because sometimes we have multiple companies associated to the deal. 

Thanks! 

rodericks
Contributor

@ethankopit Do you maybe have an update for me on the above?