Lead Capture Tools

AllisonAltus
Top Contributor

Trouble Shooting: Submitted Form Creating One Contact with Multiple Emails

SOLVE

Hi when I complete and submit my form it creates one contact. When i complete the form again - on a different device with different contact details It just changes the first contact submission email property and name. For example:

1. I submit the form with my email address - contact A created
2. My colleague completes the form on different device with own email address

2. Contact A changes to my colleague's email address and name

Is this something in form settings i have to change? 

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Hey @AllisonAltus,

Can you share a link to the page the form is on? Is it a lead flow or a HubSpot form? 

Are others experiencing this issue as well? Have you tried filling out the form in an incognito window? 

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Solution
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hi @AllisonAltus,

To build off what @Anonymous mentioned, it sounds like this issue may be caused by cookie tracking on your forms. When a visitor fills out a form, HubSpot drops a cookie in their browser to associate their page views with their contact record. If a new visitor uses that same device/browser to fill out form, due to this cookie, HubSpot will see this as updated information and update the same contact record rather than generating a new contact record. 

Moving forward, I recommend clearing the cookies and cache on each device and deleting your test contacts. Does the issue still persist after taking those steps?

Best,

Jorie

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Hey @AllisonAltus,

Can you share a link to the page the form is on? Is it a lead flow or a HubSpot form? 

Are others experiencing this issue as well? Have you tried filling out the form in an incognito window? 

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Solution
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hi @AllisonAltus,

To build off what @Anonymous mentioned, it sounds like this issue may be caused by cookie tracking on your forms. When a visitor fills out a form, HubSpot drops a cookie in their browser to associate their page views with their contact record. If a new visitor uses that same device/browser to fill out form, due to this cookie, HubSpot will see this as updated information and update the same contact record rather than generating a new contact record. 

Moving forward, I recommend clearing the cookies and cache on each device and deleting your test contacts. Does the issue still persist after taking those steps?

Best,

Jorie

0 Upvotes
laquayjuel

SOLVE

I can see where removing the cookie will alleviate the issue, but having to do this for multiple entries is not practical. Is there a way to prevent hubspot from creating or adding this cookie from the start. 

For example, we have a landing page that allows us to input referrals into hubspot. We need this to be as simple as basic data entry. The issue of input the form data as an update to the same record is annoying. We've had this issue happen more than once.

Any thoughts on how to global prevent this from occurring?

0 Upvotes