Conversations API Beta

jpsanchez
Contributor | Elite Partner

Integration conversation-API WhatsApp

Hi all, 

I just have an integration working with a external bot from whatsapp conversations in hubspot  inbox ( native whatsapp my business in HubSpot) .

All works fine, looking to impprove not sure best practiques of how to create or not a contact in hubspot if the new conversation comes from HubSpot WhatsApp inbox.  In HubSpot  you can see is "Unkown visitor"  in my integration i can see some data like: 

client
clientType:SYSTEM
senders
actorId:V-50324451
name: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
deliveryIdentifier
type:HS_PHONE_NUMBER
value:+34XXXXXXXXXX
recipients
deliveryIdentifiers
type:HS_PHONE_NUMBER
value:+346XXXXXXXX
archived:false

So Question is: What will be the best practiques in order to create or not the contact in HubSpot ( there is no email) ..
Looking to hear your ideas 😉
Best
JP

0 Upvotes
10 Replies 10
EricHirsh
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @jpsanchez 

Thanks for explaining your project and even including your proof of concept video. As you've discovered through your own exploration, today in the HubSpot Inbox, users can read and respond to WhatsApp conversations and manually create contacts. But, of course, your API-powered bot cannot initate that end-user UI action.

Generally, we believe that automatic contact creation shouldn't have to be the responsibility of a developer like you, rather that the HubSpot platform should "know" how to do it, given the right delivery identifiers from a conversation thread. Our system doesn't work this way for WhatsApp yet, but we have a roadmap item to improve it. In the meantime, we actually can't think of any fruitful advice about workarounds that you might try with the Conversations or Contacts API. The particulars of how WhatsApp contact association is implemented today mean that workarounds might cause more problems for you than they'd solve (e.g. duplicated contacts, contacst not properly associated to these message threads). We're not yet able to offer out a timeline for when we'll be able to improve this, but will make sure to announce here in this API beta group. 

To your comment on that it'd be helpful to list something other than "Offline sources" as this Original Source for a contact that was created from an inbound WhatsApp message - we're hearing that from other customers as well and also plan to address that sometime in the future. Though we know about this feedback, I don't see an Idea about it yet. If you feel up to it you can create one and we'll watch the upvotes.

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me on the Integration conversation-API WhatsApp.

It's great to see that HubSpot is dedicated to improving its platform and recognizing the importance of automatic contact creation. As a startup, we value innovative solutions to common problems, and we are excited to see how HubSpot plans to improve this functionality for WhatsApp in the future.

I appreciate the caution about workarounds using the Conversations or Contacts API, and we'll be sure to keep that in mind. We know that finding solutions to complex problems can be challenging, but we're confident that HubSpot will come up with a successful strategy.

Regarding the Original Source for contacts created from inbound WhatsApp messages, we're thrilled to hear that other customers have been providing similar feedback. As a startup ourselves, we understand the importance of user feedback and we're looking forward to seeing this issue addressed in the future. We'll definitely consider creating an Idea to help prioritize this issue and gather more upvotes from the community.

Thanks again for your response and for all the hard work that the HubSpot product team puts into improving the platform.

Best regards,

JP

😉

0 Upvotes
EricHirsh
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

100000% the importance of user feedback. Since these APIs are an active project, talking to developers buildiing on top of them is important to us to create empathy for our customers. Knowing that you are part of a startup that builds software, in part using HubSpot, and knowing that you have at least one project that is bot-related, I was wondering if you'd be willing to let us interview you and learn a little more about your company and your goals. I say 'we' because besides myself as a product manager on these APIs, there is a product manager working on HubSpot's own approach to bots that'd be interested in hearing your perspective. If this is something you'd be open to, I'd love to privat message you to schedule a time at your convenience. 

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez

Thanks for reaching out! I'm definitely interested in discussing this further and sharing my perspective. Let me know what works best for scheduling the interview.

0 Upvotes
niederberger
Participant

I would probably ask myself what for you need the contacts in the future? If you wanna work with them you need anyway more information of them, like email and name probably. Not?

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez

The point is there is a paid media with it and in order to optmize for a CPL we should need a new contact . So with this in mind how do you suggest to work on it 😉 ? thanks!!

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez

UPDATE. ( whatsApp gives name and phone number not email) and will be great if original source will be in the right place. ( Paid social / FaceBook) and not a manual creation in the conversation ( OffLine)

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez

Yes!, so from FaceBook Ads we have a group of ads with native Whatsapp drive traffic ( Call to Action is related with B2B ISP ) . The user who clics in the Ad WhatsApp buttton goes to whatsapp with a predefined message and we just receive it in Hubspot Inbox in real-time. 5-8 seconds later, the user receives a first message from our vinci03 chatbot ( trained in order to advice best Internet Fiber-Optic connection and "sell-it".  A human in hubspot can read and supervise conversations and can take control of any conversation at any moment. 
The point here is as mention, will like to know what will be the best practiques in order to create this new contact ( if is a new contact) from the first incoming conversation ( first message received in hubspot from WhatsApp)

you could have a look and video of this concept here https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/descubre-c%C3%B3mo-la-tecnolog%C3%ADa-gpt-3-cambia-los-tiempos-de-s%C... 

hope this will help you on that 😉

JP

0 Upvotes
EricHirsh
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @jpsanchez ,

We're excited you are working with this API to build a WhatsApp bot. The team and I have some possible suggestions and ideas around what you are asking about contact association, but first we were wondering if you could tell us more about what the bot does, what types of messages it posts, what your use case is for deciding whether or not to create contacts from unknown visitors. That would help us guide you better.

Best, 

Eric

0 Upvotes
jpsanchez

Yes!, so from FaceBook Ads we have a group of ads with native Whatsapp drive traffic ( Call to Action is related with B2B ISP ) . The user who clics in the Ad WhatsApp buttton goes to whatsapp with a predefined message and we just receive it in Hubspot Inbox in real-time. 5-8 seconds later, the user receives a first message from our vinci03 chatbot ( trained in order to advice best Internet Fiber-Optic connection and "sell-it".  A human in hubspot can read and supervise conversations and can take control of any conversation at any moment. 
The point here is as mention, will like to know what will be the best practiques in order to create this new contact ( if is a new contact) from the first incoming conversation ( first message received in hubspot from WhatsApp)

you could have a look and video of this concept here https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/descubre-c%C3%B3mo-la-tecnolog%C3%ADa-gpt-3-cambia-los-tiempos-de-s%C... 

hope this will help you on that 😉

JP

0 Upvotes