Content Strategy & SEO

Brennan

Linking Subtopics to Multiple Pillar Pages

SOLVE

Are there any best practices for linking subtopic content to multiple pillar pages? Would doing so create topic cluster overlap that would confuse search engines?

For instance, our blog writers occasionally write posts that fit underneath multiple pillar pages. If I link the post to both pillars, will that defeat the purpose of using the topic cluster strategy? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Brennan,

If it will help the reader, I say do it.

My concern would be having too many pillar pages that are too closely related. I certainly understand some overlap and with only a couple of pillar pages that vary enough in topic, I don't forsee an overall SEO issue.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Brennan,

If it will help the reader, I say do it.

My concern would be having too many pillar pages that are too closely related. I certainly understand some overlap and with only a couple of pillar pages that vary enough in topic, I don't forsee an overall SEO issue.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

0 Upvotes
pve
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Question on the HubSpot pillar and subtopic process. I started a pillar with Supply Chain as the topic, I've created subtopics and attached blogs, etc. But then I created a Sustainability pillar topic and created a Supply Chain subtopic that I wanted to attach a blog that I had already attached to a subtopic for the Supply Chain pillar. Am I only able to attach a link/url as a subtopic once? That seems odd. I have a blog on Supply Chain Sustainability that should be able to link to the Supply Chain pillar and the Sustainability pillar....no? Thanks for any clarification.

0 Upvotes