Content Strategy & SEO

JohnNiggl
Colaborador

Why does a pillar page need to be a landing page

resolver

I've seen some resources online, from both Hubspot and elsewhere, that suggest pillar pages must be landing pages, not blog posts.

I want to repurpose and update an older page as my pillar page, since it already ranks fairly well for the topic. But it's a regular web page, not a landing page.

1. Is it absolutely necessary that all pillar pages be landing pages in Hubspot?

2. If so, is there anyway I can take advantage of the SEO value accrued with the older, more authoritative webpage (e.g. 301 redirecting from that page to the new pillar page)?

0 Me gusta
2 Soluciones aceptadas
Phil_Vallender
Solución
Miembro estimable | Partner nivel Diamond

resolver

Hi @JohnNiggl

Pillar pages can be any type of content. What matters is that the content meets the requirements of a pillar page, i.e. covering a broad, relevant topic comprehensively, not what format it was in originally. 

For some, un-gating an ebook is the easiest way to quickly create a pillar page. This obviously replaces a landing page and some like to retain the conversion capability, meaning keeping it as a landing page. But it is not a necessity. 

Your pillar page can come from anywhere - it can be an existing web page, an un-gated ebook, repurposed blog post or completely original content. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

SeanHenri
Solución
Colaborador líder | Partner nivel Diamond

resolver

HI @JohnNiggl,

I wrote the resource you referenced, so I wanted to share some thoughts.

I probably shouldn't have been so definitive when I said that pillar content should live at the top-level of your website. It helps, but it's not a requirement.

The idea behind that guidance is that by linking to your pillar page from your primary navigation, you would be able to give the page slightly more visibiilty to your readers, and more weight to the page for search engines. Since pillar pages often cover topics that are closely aligned to your brand and overall strategy, it may make sense to link to the page from your top-level navigation.

You can easily have pillar content in the form of a blog post that lives in a /blog/ subdirectory and still do quite well as long as the content is good and that page is still well linked to both internally and externally.

Sean

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

5 Respuestas 5
HForex
Miembro

resolver

A pillar page can serve as a landing page because it consolidates comprehensive information on a particular topic, making it a valuable resource for visitors seeking specific information. For example, let's consider a pillar page on the topic of "Maximizing Doctor Income." This page would encompass a wide range of relevant content, covering strategies for increasing income, managing finances, and optimizing investments specifically tailored to doctors' unique financial needs.

By making the pillar page a landing page for a website like Doctor Income  it becomes a central hub that attracts doctors and medical professionals searching for income optimization strategies. Visitors can easily access all the necessary information in one place, increasing the likelihood of engagement and conversions. The pillar page's comprehensive nature, combined with the focused targeting of the website's audience, creates a compelling and effective landing page that caters to the needs of doctors looking to maximize their income potential.

0 Me gusta
Phil_Vallender
Solución

resolver

Hi @JohnNiggl

Pillar pages can be any type of content. What matters is that the content meets the requirements of a pillar page, i.e. covering a broad, relevant topic comprehensively, not what format it was in originally. 

For some, un-gating an ebook is the easiest way to quickly create a pillar page. This obviously replaces a landing page and some like to retain the conversion capability, meaning keeping it as a landing page. But it is not a necessity. 

Your pillar page can come from anywhere - it can be an existing web page, an un-gated ebook, repurposed blog post or completely original content. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
JohnNiggl
Colaborador

resolver

Hi @Phil_Vallender,

Thanks for your message. Our plan was to ungate an existing eBook offer and move the content to the pillar page, while still offering readers the chance to download it in PDF form by submitting the form on the existing landing page.

My concern with using the our existing webpage (which is already authoritative on the topic), is that it's not a top-level page. According to at least one source "Pillar pages are a part of the main, top-level navigation on a website. This makes it easy for your website visitors to find the pillar page, and does not hide the resource under multiple layers or clicks."

The webpage in question on our site that we'd like to repurpose as the pillar page is 2 layers in, rather than top-level. Do you see that being an issue?

0 Me gusta
SeanHenri
Solución

resolver

HI @JohnNiggl,

I wrote the resource you referenced, so I wanted to share some thoughts.

I probably shouldn't have been so definitive when I said that pillar content should live at the top-level of your website. It helps, but it's not a requirement.

The idea behind that guidance is that by linking to your pillar page from your primary navigation, you would be able to give the page slightly more visibiilty to your readers, and more weight to the page for search engines. Since pillar pages often cover topics that are closely aligned to your brand and overall strategy, it may make sense to link to the page from your top-level navigation.

You can easily have pillar content in the form of a blog post that lives in a /blog/ subdirectory and still do quite well as long as the content is good and that page is still well linked to both internally and externally.

Sean

JohnNiggl
Colaborador

resolver

Hi @SeanHenri - We assumed that and published our pillar page a couple layers down from top. It's worked out well for us.

Thanks for clarifying and for writing that helpful article I linked to.

0 Me gusta