Content Strategy & SEO

jasonzimmermann
Participant

URL as the Brand Name? Good or Bad Idea

SOLVE

Hello! 

We're currently going through a rebrand and some suggestions were proposed to incorporate the brand into the URL and vice versa. For example, YourBrand.xx where "xx" is something like .co, .llc, .app, etc... 

From a branding perspective I don't love the .xx being a part of the brand/logo but I can think about how this could impactful in some cases. 

Looking to see if anyone has some similiar experience and/or some pros and cons for doing it or not doing. 

For example....

Pro

• If brand awareness is strong, typing the brand name into a search will direct you right to the page, improving direct traffic

Con

• From a branding perspective, it seems unnecessary, long winded, and potentially confusing. 

Would love to hear any and all thoughts and experiences. Thanks! 

4 Accepted solutions
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jasonzimmermann 

Years ago Google recognised people were buying branded domain names (even common mis-spellings) to use the domain for SEO. So, like any other time people try and cheat Google, they reduced the weight of the brand name in the domain name.

However, in my experience, if you follow best practices with SEO and use the brand name in the Page Title, H1, first paragraph, alt tag, etc. it will work in your favour.

Personally I recommend optimising for your Company Name paired with the Brand Name to create the associations. For example:

Your Company Name – Brand Name – Product Name

If you use WordPress it's worth splashing out and getting Yoast Pro (to help you with combinations of Keywords). If your website is in HubSpot then the Keyword Tool will help you out.

Have fun

Mike

p.s. thank you for the mention @JessicaH 

View solution in original post

Nynke_HM
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jasonzimmermann ,

Great question! This is what my colleague with more branding expertise has to say about it: 

Personally, I feel that including .xx in your brand name, is only a good choice when it refers to the type of product your offer. A good example is Booking.com, where it makes sense to include .com in the brand name, because the service/product is essentialy a website. It gives you an opportunity to turn generic words or phrases into a brand name, just by including .xx.

In other cases I think it would be confusing to deviate from the usual .com. (You would need really really strond branding for people to remember to type in something different then .com. )

Kind regards,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

dominikberger
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Jason,

I absolutely agree with Mike and Nynke. 

I wanted to share with you this great guide on choosing a domain name if you are still in the decision-making process: https://moz.com/learn/seo/domain.

To sum up: Make your domain rememberable and don't think too much about including a brand name or keyword in your domain Smiley Happy

annefreeman
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Capture.PNG

This picture explains exactly how domains name should be named.

5 Replies 5
annefreeman
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Capture.PNG

This picture explains exactly how domains name should be named.

dominikberger
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Jason,

I absolutely agree with Mike and Nynke. 

I wanted to share with you this great guide on choosing a domain name if you are still in the decision-making process: https://moz.com/learn/seo/domain.

To sum up: Make your domain rememberable and don't think too much about including a brand name or keyword in your domain Smiley Happy

Nynke_HM
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @jasonzimmermann ,

Great question! This is what my colleague with more branding expertise has to say about it: 

Personally, I feel that including .xx in your brand name, is only a good choice when it refers to the type of product your offer. A good example is Booking.com, where it makes sense to include .com in the brand name, because the service/product is essentialy a website. It gives you an opportunity to turn generic words or phrases into a brand name, just by including .xx.

In other cases I think it would be confusing to deviate from the usual .com. (You would need really really strond branding for people to remember to type in something different then .com. )

Kind regards,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @jasonzimmermann 

Years ago Google recognised people were buying branded domain names (even common mis-spellings) to use the domain for SEO. So, like any other time people try and cheat Google, they reduced the weight of the brand name in the domain name.

However, in my experience, if you follow best practices with SEO and use the brand name in the Page Title, H1, first paragraph, alt tag, etc. it will work in your favour.

Personally I recommend optimising for your Company Name paired with the Brand Name to create the associations. For example:

Your Company Name – Brand Name – Product Name

If you use WordPress it's worth splashing out and getting Yoast Pro (to help you with combinations of Keywords). If your website is in HubSpot then the Keyword Tool will help you out.

Have fun

Mike

p.s. thank you for the mention @JessicaH 

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @jasonzimmermann,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm going to tag in some subject matter experts to see if they have some suggestions.

Hi @Phil_Vallender @Nynke_HM @Mike_Eastwood @rikkilear @joshua-paul, do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Jess 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !