Content Strategy & SEO

EnesCinar
Contributor

URL Redirecting effect on SEO

SOLVE

Hi all,

I have top 3 blog pages that acquire traffic at a great level. I want to change these blog's structure to increase conversion; that's why I want to use our landing page template. Therefore, I need URL redirection to redirect my blog page to the landing page URL. I will not delete my blog post, redirecting to a new page to use that landing page template.

In this situation, I don't want to lose the SEO power of my blog. Is this kind of redirection harm my blog's SEO?

Example: my top blog post's URL: www.encin.com/blog/asdf

I want to redirect this page to that landing page: www.blog.encin.com/look-for-asdf

Thanks

3 Accepted solutions
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey there @EnesCinar ! A 301 redirect is what you're looking for. Take the content in your blog posts and put it into the new template on the new URL, and add a 301 redirect to the old URL. A 301 redirect will not generally harm your SEO.

Here are a few resources on 301 redirects and SEO:

You might also consider creating canonical content, which is explained in this HubSpot resource: Set canonical URLs for duplicate content

Hopefully that helps get you started down the right path. Cheers!

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

webdew
Solution
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EnesCinar ,

Redirecting your page to another page has no effect on SEO. However, there are a few points to consider if you intend to change the structure of the pages.

1. Try not to change the URL Structure.
  2. Make modifications to the temporary URL first, then apply them to the actual URL.
  3. Keep track of all the inbound links to that page and try to keep them up to date.

4. Keep core webs vitals and page experience in mind.

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @DanielChen007 . 

TL;DR: I don't believe you need to add a 301 redirect to the root URLs going to the "app" subdomain. 

It's a big debate in the online community. In my experience, having a subdomain (which can be necessary when you have a web app or if your site is hosted on a different platform from your blog or landing pages) doesn't negatively impact your SEO. Having the "app" subdomain with content will positively impact your main root domain. Creating a 301 redirect for every piece of content created on "app" to mirror the root domain seems like a lot of work and I don't believe there's a major payoff. From what I've seen (articles like this), having your content on the "app" subdomain does indeed help without adding a 301 redirect. 

With all that said, it's something to test and monitor and iterate. If you tested with a handful of content pieces and you see a discernible difference, then adding a 301 for every content piece might be just what the doctor ordered. 

I hope that helps! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website

13 Replies 13
stanleycole

SOLVE

i have also facing the same kind of issue on my client's site like my problem was self-inflicted by trying to re-use the same page name, maybe before renaming the first version. Or, to be supersitious: the redirect pointed to a page I had renamed /mystery...

0 Upvotes
Getseowebsite

SOLVE

The effect on SEO depends on if it is done properly or not. If you are using a 301 redirect or something along those lines, it will not hurt your SEO.
But, if you redirect using a Meta refresh, JavaScript, or some other means, it could potentially hurt your SEO. How much it will hurt your SEO will depend on what your rankings were before you redirected and also how long you have been redirecting to the page. It could take anywhere from a couple of days to several months for Google to catch up with the change.
Always use a 301 redirect or a similar type of redirect that will not hurt your SEO.

rikkilear
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Looks like some good comments here already so the only thing I'll add:

• In general doing a redirect on the same domain doesn't have a huge impact - something like 80% of the 'authority' is kept
  • The one note of caution here is it seems your landing page is on a subdomain (blog.) which actually, isn't classed as a redirect to the same domain, so I would expect the negative impact to be bigger. If you can I would keep the structure of the landing page URL on the as root domain (not a sub domain)

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Full HubSpot agency: https://www.digital22.com/

Free HubSpot Training: https://www.digital22.com/free-2021-training

EnesCinar
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi, 

I need a subdomain due to the use of pillar templates of HubSpot. For the Landing pages, I need a subdomain because we already have a different primary domain. That's why I redirect some of my root domain-based website pages to that subdomain.

Thanks,

hpande
Participant

SOLVE

Hey man

I second this opinion that the domain authority for the subdomain would not be the same as the main domain. You should create the landing page as a subdirectory in the original domain so google consider it the same site's page. This is the reason people dont encourage m.xyz.com for mobile sites even though that can mean a lot of lightweight elements and hence better mobile adaptibility. They have to instead adapt their main site to mobile via responsiveness. Atleast their SEO juice is not diverted.

regards

H

webdew
Solution
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EnesCinar ,

Redirecting your page to another page has no effect on SEO. However, there are a few points to consider if you intend to change the structure of the pages.

1. Try not to change the URL Structure.
  2. Make modifications to the temporary URL first, then apply them to the actual URL.
  3. Keep track of all the inbound links to that page and try to keep them up to date.

4. Keep core webs vitals and page experience in mind.

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey there @EnesCinar ! A 301 redirect is what you're looking for. Take the content in your blog posts and put it into the new template on the new URL, and add a 301 redirect to the old URL. A 301 redirect will not generally harm your SEO.

You might also consider creating canonical content, which is explained in this HubSpot resource: Set canonical URLs for duplicate content

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
MSsurti

SOLVE

@danmoyle wrote:

Agree with this, 301 will be the best option in that case 

danmoyle

SOLVE

Thanks for the confirmation and support @MSsurti 😊 

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
0 Upvotes
DanielChen007
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Dan, thanks for your answer. I am Daniel, PM of airgram.io.

I hava another question, our landing page and web app use 2 different subdomains, our landing page is "www.airgram.io", web app is "app.airgram.io", all the user contents are in the "app.airgram.io".

When users share their contents in public, the url would be "app.airgram.io/share/ID123123123". We want this content to power our "www.airgram.io" SEO, what should we do?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @DanielChen007 . 

TL;DR: I don't believe you need to add a 301 redirect to the root URLs going to the "app" subdomain. 

It's a big debate in the online community. In my experience, having a subdomain (which can be necessary when you have a web app or if your site is hosted on a different platform from your blog or landing pages) doesn't negatively impact your SEO. Having the "app" subdomain with content will positively impact your main root domain. Creating a 301 redirect for every piece of content created on "app" to mirror the root domain seems like a lot of work and I don't believe there's a major payoff. From what I've seen (articles like this), having your content on the "app" subdomain does indeed help without adding a 301 redirect. 

With all that said, it's something to test and monitor and iterate. If you tested with a handful of content pieces and you see a discernible difference, then adding a 301 for every content piece might be just what the doctor ordered. 

I hope that helps! 

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
DanielChen007
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks a lot, Dan. 👍

0 Upvotes
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @EnesCinar 

Thank you for reaching out!

I'll invite a few experts to this conversation, I'm pretty sure they can advise you in this case.

Hey @rikkilear @danmoyle @JonPayne any advise you would like to share with @EnesCinar?

Thanks

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !