Content Strategy & SEO

Abnaz

See which keywords brought visitors to my website

SOLVE

Newbie here, I wanted to know what keywords do leads viewers to my website. I have installed google search console and integrated it. over there I can see all the reports like clicks and impressions. but i would like to know if it's possible to know the exact keywords which worked to get people to reach my website.

Thank you all 

1 Accepted solution
kmcready
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @Abnaz this is a great question when starting out with SEO and using tools to help understand performance, metrics, and optimizations.

To answer your question, you can view the keywords that brought users to your site through Google Search Console (GSC) under the Performance tab.

From there, look at the Queries tab - this is the list of keywords related to the pages displayed on Google's SERP (search engine results page). To understand it further and find which keywords brought users to your site, look at it this way:

• Top queries: the list of keywords that searchers typed into Google and a page from your website was displayed on the SERP. For example, a query could be "what is SEO" (or something on that list related to your site).
  • Clicks: to the right of each query is the number of clicks to your website that the query generated. This means that when someone typed in one of your queries and it says 50 clicks, that many searchers visited your website from that query. "what is SEO - 50 clicks" means 50 people visited your site for that query in the timeframe above.
  • Impressions: the number of times a page from your website appeared on Google for the given query. Meaning if your impressions for "what is SEO" is 3,250, then a page from your site appeared on Google that many times when a searched typed it in
  • CTR (click-through rate): is the percentage of times that your page was clicked on by dividing the number of clicks by the number of impressions. Similar to conversion rate, how many people saw your page on Google vs how many people clicked on it in a percentage.

By looking at both queries and clicks you can see which keywords brought visitors to your site.

You can also take this one step further and click on the Pages tab (next to Queries). This shows the individual URLs and their clicks/impressions/CTR. When you click on a URL, it breaks it down by queries.

Now you can see which queries brought people to that page specifically.

Hopefully this answered your question. Let me know if you need any further explanation.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
MaazKhan72002

SOLVE

Absolutely! You're on the right track with Google Search Console (GSC). Under the "Performance" tab, you'll find a section named "Search queries". This section reveals the keywords people used to find your website in search results. You can even see how many clicks each keyword brought and their average ranking position. This valuable data helps you understand which keywords are driving traffic to your site.

0 Upvotes
alaattincagil
Participant

SOLVE

Google Search Console provides valuable insights into the keywords that are driving traffic to your website. While Google doesn't provide all the granular details due to privacy and security reasons, you can still get a good sense of the keywords through the following steps:

1. Performance Report:

• In Google Search Console, go to the "Performance" section.
    • You'll see a list of queries that people used to find your website. This includes clicks, impressions, click-through rate, and average position.
  2. Filtering and Sorting:

• You can filter the data by date, country, device, and more. This can help you understand the performance of specific keywords in different contexts.
    • Sort the data by clicks or impressions to identify the keywords that are driving the most traffic.
  3. Pages Report:

• Under the "Performance" section, switch to the "Pages" tab.
    • Here, you can see which pages are getting the most clicks and impressions. Click on a specific page to see the queries associated with that page.
  4. Query Details:

• Click on a specific query to get more details. You'll see a breakdown of clicks, impressions, CTR, and average position over time.
    • This can give you insights into how a particular keyword is performing and whether its performance is improving or declining.
  5. Search Analytics API (Advanced):

• For more advanced users or developers, you can use the Search Analytics API to extract data in a more customized way.

Keep in mind that while Google Search Console provides valuable data, it may not show all the keywords, especially for those with low search volumes or for users who have opted for more privacy in their search settings. Additionally, some queries may be grouped together for privacy reasons.

By regularly analyzing the performance data in Google Search Console, you can identify trends, optimize content, and refine your SEO strategy based on the keywords that are driving the most valuable traffic to your website.

MEklund
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

SOLVE
Thank you for your great response.

>From what I understand, if I want to view it from a "Keyword/query first" perspective, I can only see that in Google Search Console. In HubSpot, I need to select which page I want to see the corresponding queries for.
0 Upvotes
AmilyKing

SOLVE

Great question! With Google Search Console, you can find the keywords leading people to your website.

kmcready
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @Abnaz this is a great question when starting out with SEO and using tools to help understand performance, metrics, and optimizations.

To answer your question, you can view the keywords that brought users to your site through Google Search Console (GSC) under the Performance tab.

From there, look at the Queries tab - this is the list of keywords related to the pages displayed on Google's SERP (search engine results page). To understand it further and find which keywords brought users to your site, look at it this way:

• Top queries: the list of keywords that searchers typed into Google and a page from your website was displayed on the SERP. For example, a query could be "what is SEO" (or something on that list related to your site).
  • Clicks: to the right of each query is the number of clicks to your website that the query generated. This means that when someone typed in one of your queries and it says 50 clicks, that many searchers visited your website from that query. "what is SEO - 50 clicks" means 50 people visited your site for that query in the timeframe above.
  • Impressions: the number of times a page from your website appeared on Google for the given query. Meaning if your impressions for "what is SEO" is 3,250, then a page from your site appeared on Google that many times when a searched typed it in
  • CTR (click-through rate): is the percentage of times that your page was clicked on by dividing the number of clicks by the number of impressions. Similar to conversion rate, how many people saw your page on Google vs how many people clicked on it in a percentage.

By looking at both queries and clicks you can see which keywords brought visitors to your site.

You can also take this one step further and click on the Pages tab (next to Queries). This shows the individual URLs and their clicks/impressions/CTR. When you click on a URL, it breaks it down by queries.

Now you can see which queries brought people to that page specifically.

Hopefully this answered your question. Let me know if you need any further explanation.

MEklund
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

Where do we find the Performance tab?

0 Upvotes
kmcready
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @MEklund to view the queries / keywords that brought users to your website in Google Search Console:

- Login to your GMAIL connected to your GSC account

- Select the correct property on the top left dropdown

- On the left hand sidebar there's a section called Performance

- Under that Performance section is a link for "Search Results"

- View the QUERIES tab - these are the keywords with the number of clicks, impressions, click-through rate (CTR), and average position.

Looks like this...

gsc-performance-section-screenshot.PNG

0 Upvotes
MEklund
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

Thank you for your response. However i would like to see a similar view in Hubspot, but i guess this is not possible? I´ve found my way to SEO-Analyze but then i have to click on a Url in order to see the keywords. It would be great to have it the other way around - first the keywords and then what page it lead to. 

0 Upvotes
kmcready
Participant

SOLVE

Yes, HubSpot by default blocks what organic keywords were used to land on a page. It's something every SEO wishes wasn't the case.

To view Traffic Analytics in HubSpot:

1. Login to HubSpot

2. Click the Reporting dropdown

3. Select Analytics Tools

4. Then click Traffic Analytics from the list of reports

5. Usually this defaults to "Sessions" under the Sources tab

If you scroll down it should should show all the traffic to your website broken down by source: Organic, Paid, Social, etc...

If you click Organic Search it will show "Unknown keywords (SSL)". This is done on purpose or nobody will use Paid ads... 

Think about it, if you know what queries bring in users then convert them, you'd never need to invest in paid ads which displlay alll that info.

So, unfortunately, you can't see which keywords brought users to what page in HubSpot - unless someone has found a hack to do so. Which I would hope they share in here.

But if you go back to GSC and cllick on the Pages tab under that Performance > Search Results > Pages, then clilck a specific page, you can see the Queries in the tab that brought users to that page.

But you can't connect the two together (HubSpot + GSC) to see which queries and clilcks made people convert.

Abnaz

SOLVE

Thank you Mazaady, i will check that. 

0 Upvotes
Mazaady

SOLVE

In the performance section, you will find all keywords that your website includes and how many clicks also impressions

Mazaady Team 

0 Upvotes
Abnaz

SOLVE

So , this performance section is in SEO analyze page or any other page ?  Because i cant see that perfomance page or seperate section . If i drag down then i can see the URL and queries with impressions and clicks , is that the one you are referring to ? 

0 Upvotes