Content Strategy & SEO

devkos

SEO localization

SOLVE

Hi there,

I just wanted to get some opinions regarding best SEO practises for localization set up. 

Our business is based in the UK and thats the main audience at the moment. We are planning to add more countries, so we may show a slightly different content in some pages/modules and later on may add an additional languages, so want to make sure we do it right from the start. The question I have:

If we are based in the UK, do we need to have all our default pages just in English or they need to be in subfolders for UK (e.g. /en-gb/)? 

What is best from the SEO/Analytics side?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SEO localization

SOLVE

Hi @devkos Happy to share a few thoughts:

HubSpot has built-in multi-language tools that you should research before you jump into subfolders. 

There are also website themes built to further support these capabilities that will make it much easier in the long run (assuming you are using CMS Hub).

From an SEO standpoint, your base language is set by the domain as English or English-GB, so any language variations will require the language slug to work properly (like /de or /fr etc.) which will also be detected by search engines. This is the best way to handle language variations because it is universally accepted.

Another thing to consider, if you are keeping the site content in English and you just want to show different content by country would be to keep the website URL as-is and serve smart content using Smart Rules. Doing this, search engines would only see the "default" content and would not see the country specific content. This has pros and cons, but is one of the most user friendly ways to handle this if the content changes are minor like showing alternate pricing by country (vs. a fully translated site to another language).

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
alaattincagil
Participant

SEO localization

SOLVE

I live in the UK and there are many British and American companies working with my Digital Marketing agency. I wanted to inform you a little based on my experiences, I hope it will be useful. When it comes to setting up your website for localization, there are several SEO best practices to consider. 

1. Default Language:

• It's a good practice to have your default pages in the primary language of your target audience. Since your business is based in the UK, having the default language set to English is sensible.

2. URL Structure:

• For a UK-based site, having URLs without language subfolders (e.g., yourwebsite.com/page) is generally sufficient. However, if you plan to add multiple languages in the future, setting up language subfolders (e.g., yourwebsite.com/en-gb/page) is a good idea.

3. Hreflang Tags:

• Implement hreflang tags to indicate the language and regional targeting of your pages. This helps search engines understand which language versions to serve to users based on their location and language preferences.

4. Country-Specific Content:

• If you plan to show slightly different content for different countries, make sure that the variations are significant enough to warrant separate pages. Use hreflang tags to indicate the relationship between these pages.

5. International Targeting in Google Search Console:

• Set the international targeting in Google Search Console to the appropriate country. This helps Google understand your target audience and can improve the accuracy of search results.

6. Multilingual Content:

• If you plan to add additional languages in the future, having language subfolders (e.g., yourwebsite.com/en/page for English and yourwebsite.com/es/page for Spanish) is a good practice. Again, use hreflang tags to indicate language and regional targeting.

7. Analytics Setup:

• In Google Analytics, set up separate views or properties for different language versions or country-specific content. This allows you to track the performance of each segment accurately.

8. Local SEO:

• Optimize your content for local SEO. Include location-specific keywords, create local landing pages, and ensure that your business information (address, phone number, etc.) is consistent and accurate.

9. Mobile Optimization:

• Ensure that your website is mobile-friendly, as mobile search is significant in many regions.

10. Regular Audits:

• Periodically audit your international and multilingual SEO setup to ensure accuracy and effectiveness.

Remember that SEO practices can evolve, so it's essential to stay informed about the latest updates and best practices in the field. Additionally, testing and monitoring the performance of your localized content will provide insights into what works best for your specific audience and goals.

Sumitkverma

SEO localization

SOLVE

Hi there,

When it comes to SEO localization, there are a few best practices to consider for your setup. Since your business is based in the UK with a main audience there, and you plan to expand to other countries and potentially add additional languages, it's important to lay a strong foundation from the start. Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Language and Country Targeting: For the default pages, it's generally recommended to have them in English without a subfolder. This is because the default language is usually understood to be the primary language of the website. However, you can use hreflang annotations in the HTML code to indicate language and regional targeting.

2. Subfolders for Localization: As you expand to other countries and provide slightly different content, using subfolders can be a good approach. For example, you can use the /en-gb/ subfolder for the UK audience and create separate subfolders for other countries like /en-us/ for the United States or /en-au/ for Australia. This helps search engines understand the regional targeting and can enhance the user experience.

3. SEO Considerations: When implementing localization, ensure you have proper hreflang tags to indicate the language and regional targeting of your pages. This helps search engines serve the appropriate version to users in different locations. Additionally, consider localized keyword research and optimization to tailor your content for specific regions. This can improve your visibility and relevance in local search results.

4. Analytics: From an analytics perspective, using separate subfolders for each country allows you to track the performance of each specific region more effectively. It provides better insights into user behavior, conversions, and other key metrics for each targeted audience.

Remember to regularly monitor your SEO performance, make data-driven optimizations, and stay up to date with any changes in search engine algorithms or guidelines. This will ensure your localization efforts align with the best practices and deliver the desired results.

Best of luck with your localization and expansion efforts!

0 Upvotes
SShinde66

SEO localization

SOLVE

I think you’ve already found your solution. I own a bakery business and I was asked to consult an SEO agency so that they can take care of all of this for me. You don’t need to worry about these things then because they look after all of it for you. I work with Novus Digital  but I’d recommend you find an agency that suits your business requirements too. It’s really much easier that way and you’ll see better and quicker results.

Jnix284
Solution

SEO localization

SOLVE

Hi @devkos Happy to share a few thoughts:

HubSpot has built-in multi-language tools that you should research before you jump into subfolders. 

There are also website themes built to further support these capabilities that will make it much easier in the long run (assuming you are using CMS Hub).

From an SEO standpoint, your base language is set by the domain as English or English-GB, so any language variations will require the language slug to work properly (like /de or /fr etc.) which will also be detected by search engines. This is the best way to handle language variations because it is universally accepted.

Another thing to consider, if you are keeping the site content in English and you just want to show different content by country would be to keep the website URL as-is and serve smart content using Smart Rules. Doing this, search engines would only see the "default" content and would not see the country specific content. This has pros and cons, but is one of the most user friendly ways to handle this if the content changes are minor like showing alternate pricing by country (vs. a fully translated site to another language).

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

RalfPi

SEO localization

SOLVE

Well, the subfolders might overload the website if not done correctly. Your website, for a better optimization, should be created in the simplest way possible without many pages, subfolders, and other elements. I would optimize the title, content, video, and pics on the default pages. Definitely, you won't need the subfolders(en-gb) for pages you want to localize in the chosen countries. SEO is about making everything SIMPLE and COMPREHENSIVE.
Localization won't bring you much traffic, but manual link building service will. Authoritative and relevant backlinks will boost your visibility no matter what country you choose.