Content Strategy & SEO

tomkennedy
Participant

SEO - How broad should the pillar page be?

SOLVE

Hi guys!

I'm starting a new project and I want to adopt Hubspot's topic cluster and pillar page. I understand the concept, however, I'm not too sure how broad I should keep the pillar page. 

For example, I want to write about how it's possible to work remotely and for yourself in digital marketing. Would "digital marketing" work as a pillar page, with the likes of "SEO", "SMM", "content marketing" etc serving as subtopics, or is "digital marketing" too broad of a topic?

Would I be better off having SEO, for example, as the core topic for a pillar page? This way the subtopics would include posts such as "why SEO is important", "what are the best online tools for SEO" etc.

Thanks for reading and would really appreciate some feedback!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Nynke_HM
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @tomkennedy ,

In case you really want to write about working remote in digital marketing, I would recommend to use exactly that as pillar topic! It's a great topic, not too broad not too narrow.

Your subtopics could be focused more on the detailed subjects within this core topic. Such as topics related to performing specific digital marketing activities from home. 

SEO, Content marketing or Digital marketing could be pillar topics on their own.

Hope this helps and good luck creating your first pillar page!

Kind regards,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Nynke_HM
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @tomkennedy ,

In case you really want to write about working remote in digital marketing, I would recommend to use exactly that as pillar topic! It's a great topic, not too broad not too narrow.

Your subtopics could be focused more on the detailed subjects within this core topic. Such as topics related to performing specific digital marketing activities from home. 

SEO, Content marketing or Digital marketing could be pillar topics on their own.

Hope this helps and good luck creating your first pillar page!

Kind regards,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
tomkennedy
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take this on board!

0 Upvotes