Content Strategy & SEO

PSM
Contributor

Pillar Linking Strategy

SOLVE

Ok, I've seen a lot of ideas obout linking content in pillar pages but some is conflicting.

I have a few pillar pages created but not 100% sure of the best linking strategy.

Currently, I link within the pillar to relevant blog articles or landing pages. I'm also linking from those pages back to the pillar.

Should we just be linking from blog/landing pages back to the pillar? ("one direction")

They are ranking well for our content key words but I want ot optimize as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

Shannon

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Pillar Linking Strategy

SOLVE

Hi @PSM

I don't think anyone is ever 100% about what the absolutely perfect strategy for this sort of thing is, but your approach looks sound. 

You definitely want internal links from content to your pillar page, to help it rank. But the original researcher behind HubSpot's take on the approach did find that more internal and external links within their pillar pages also correlated with higher rankings. 

I highly recommend taking a look at Anum Hussain's presentation on the subject: http://www.anumhussain.com/presentations/topics-over-keywords

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Pillar Linking Strategy

SOLVE

Also worth reviewing - Pillar Pages: Landing Page, Web Page, or Blog Post

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
jjb868
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Pillar Linking Strategy

SOLVE

@PSM

One thing people either forget or miss is the anchor text when creating internal links. Make your anchor text relevant to where you are sending them. 

Don't have your anchor text something like "click here to learn more about..."

Rather something more like "...understanding the benefits of boutique marketing agencies and larger firms can help you.."

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Pillar Linking Strategy

SOLVE

Also worth reviewing - Pillar Pages: Landing Page, Web Page, or Blog Post

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Pillar Linking Strategy

SOLVE

Hi @PSM

I don't think anyone is ever 100% about what the absolutely perfect strategy for this sort of thing is, but your approach looks sound. 

You definitely want internal links from content to your pillar page, to help it rank. But the original researcher behind HubSpot's take on the approach did find that more internal and external links within their pillar pages also correlated with higher rankings. 

I highly recommend taking a look at Anum Hussain's presentation on the subject: http://www.anumhussain.com/presentations/topics-over-keywords

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency