Content Strategy & SEO

serialeonline
Miembro

Nofollow links - why?

resolver

Do you need to build no-follow links if they don't transmit power? What's the meaning of that? I'm currently working on this site and I'm learning link building.

0 Me gusta
2 Soluciones aceptadas
Jnix284
Solución
Miembro estimable | Partner nivel Diamond

Nofollow links - why?

resolver

@serialeonline here is a helpful article about when to use Nofollow links, what they are and what they mean.

You wouldn't proactively seek out or "build" nofollow links, they are used when a site owner wants to link to another site without passing authority - something you wouldn't want to waste your time building, when what you want are actual referral links.

The HubSpot community is a great example of this - HubSpot may not want to pass on authority for links created here in the community, so nofollow, noreferrer, and noopener are added automatically.

Google introduced a new option which would be better in this case, which would be rel="ugc" for user-generated content to further classify the information and provides an alternative to nofollow that does not pass on domain rank.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

APrigent
Solución
Colaborador líder | Partner nivel Elite

Nofollow links - why?

resolver

Hello @serialeonline,

If you are working on link building strategy, you must have seen that some people also recommend to do "no follow" links. I understand that you ask yourself this question!

The no follow links are indeed not taken into account in the same way as the do follow links. They do not transfer "SEO power" from one site to another, and are interpreted as much less important by the algos of search engines.

But having a certain percentage of no follow links also allows to have a link profile that looks "natural" and healthy in the eyes of the algorithms. And this is what we are trying to build to have an effective link building strategy! If you only make do follow links with over optimized anchors, you risk taking a Google penalty and being de-referenced 😉

It is generally considered that a natural link profile for a website is about 80% of links in do follow, and 20% in no follow.

I should point out that these recos are general data, and each SEO strategy depends on the website, the industry and the themes on which you want to rank.

I conclude by advising you to create content with high added value for users, to relay them on social networks and to work on your brand image to get natural links to your site, rather than relying on a paid link strategy.

I hope I helped you,
Alice

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

2 Respuestas 2
APrigent
Solución

Nofollow links - why?

resolver

Hello @serialeonline,

If you are working on link building strategy, you must have seen that some people also recommend to do "no follow" links. I understand that you ask yourself this question!

The no follow links are indeed not taken into account in the same way as the do follow links. They do not transfer "SEO power" from one site to another, and are interpreted as much less important by the algos of search engines.

But having a certain percentage of no follow links also allows to have a link profile that looks "natural" and healthy in the eyes of the algorithms. And this is what we are trying to build to have an effective link building strategy! If you only make do follow links with over optimized anchors, you risk taking a Google penalty and being de-referenced 😉

It is generally considered that a natural link profile for a website is about 80% of links in do follow, and 20% in no follow.

I should point out that these recos are general data, and each SEO strategy depends on the website, the industry and the themes on which you want to rank.

I conclude by advising you to create content with high added value for users, to relay them on social networks and to work on your brand image to get natural links to your site, rather than relying on a paid link strategy.

I hope I helped you,
Alice

Jnix284
Solución

Nofollow links - why?

resolver

@serialeonline here is a helpful article about when to use Nofollow links, what they are and what they mean.

You wouldn't proactively seek out or "build" nofollow links, they are used when a site owner wants to link to another site without passing authority - something you wouldn't want to waste your time building, when what you want are actual referral links.

The HubSpot community is a great example of this - HubSpot may not want to pass on authority for links created here in the community, so nofollow, noreferrer, and noopener are added automatically.

Google introduced a new option which would be better in this case, which would be rel="ugc" for user-generated content to further classify the information and provides an alternative to nofollow that does not pass on domain rank.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin