Content Strategy & SEO

FranciscaZ
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

New URL for historical optimization

SOLVE

Hi all, 

I'm working on a plan to start optimizing a few blogs. 

While reading through the Hubspot e-book, one thing was unclear to me. 

Do I just optimize the existing blog (with the same URL), or do I create a new one with a new URL? 

Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Danish_Wadhwa
Solution
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @FranciscaZ 

You are on the right track! Optimizing the content and URL is vital to improve the SEO strategy.

Well! here is the solution, you have to check whether the existing URL for the respective blog post is indexed by Google or not.?
What is the volume and traffic on the respective blog post? If the number of traffic is large and it is indexed by Google, then do not change the URL for the blog.

I would suggest you optimize the content to better rank in the google.
But, if the URL of an existing blog is not indexed and getting less traffic, then you can search for the URL having more volume and traffic. Also, don’t forget to change the content as per the updated URL.

Hope this work!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Danish_Wadhwa
Solution
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @FranciscaZ 

You are on the right track! Optimizing the content and URL is vital to improve the SEO strategy.

Well! here is the solution, you have to check whether the existing URL for the respective blog post is indexed by Google or not.?
What is the volume and traffic on the respective blog post? If the number of traffic is large and it is indexed by Google, then do not change the URL for the blog.

I would suggest you optimize the content to better rank in the google.
But, if the URL of an existing blog is not indexed and getting less traffic, then you can search for the URL having more volume and traffic. Also, don’t forget to change the content as per the updated URL.

Hope this work!

annefreeman
Participant

SOLVE

All you need to do is perform a content audit for your site. Share your site here and i'll help you in optimizing the blog posts.

0 Upvotes
sparnell
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

It's more likely that optimizing content on the current URL is going to be more effective unless that URL is relatively young (under 1-2 years), if there aren't any critical keywords in the URL and/or the site has low traffic and poor rankings.

A new URL only makes sense if you're willing to start close to scratch (at least you have the content) and its a better URL for keywords and/or branding.

0 Upvotes
Daniel_Bleich
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi Francisca,

This is a very wide question, when you say change the URL what do you mean?

Are you talking about the domain for the whole blog or for specific blog posts?

Please share the URL of the blog and what you thought of doing.

Thanks,

Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution