Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Limit on subtopics in topic clusters

Occasional Contributor

I've just begun to arrange my topic clusters and subtopics in HubSpot content strategy.
We currently launch two blog posts per the release of a single episode of our podcast (an episode transcription, and a 'release' type blog post). 

I've organized each transcription and release to have a separate sub-topic relating to a specific episode and have quickly run into the subtopic limit (30), per cluster. We'll be publishing many, many more episodes in the future and I wonder if I'm best utilizing this tool, or if it could be arranged a better way.

I've reached out to support to see if we can lift this limit who mentioned I should post to seek assistance & HubSpot dev interest. 

4 Replies 4
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @Nicfern

Given the scale of HubSpot's own content creation strategy, which no doubt informed development of the content strategy tool, I'm sure they too encounter the same boudaries. 

It might be that the tool is intended to be a directional one, assuming that, once you have a fully populated content topic, it becomes second nature to properly link content to pillar pages. 

It might be that your choice of topics isn't letting you get the most out of the tool - can you give us an example?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I was under the impression the topic clusters had more to do with SEO? If it is a directional tool though, perhaps I'm wrong and it's more of a content coach. 

Thanks for the insight/opinion. It sounds like I'll have to consider another way to integrate our podcast into our topics, rather than simply add it to It's own cluster - regardless, I'm still concerned it may spam/water down the topics I add them too.

Our current topics include: UX, trends, training, retail, reporting, profit, nps, measuring, hospitality, healthcare, government services, expert insights, employee, customer stories, customer retention, customer feedback, customer experience strategy, churn, case studies, CX and podcast. 

The podcast articles (that I wish to attach to subtopics) are 1) purely transcripts and a brief overview of the episode, including intro to the episode/guest & key takeaways.  

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @Nicfern

The answer, for now, is somewhere in between. 

The topic cluster (pillar page/sub-topic) structure is effective for SEO. The content strategy tool is a tool for architecting that structure. But its use has no direct effect on SEO. 

I'm struggling a bit to imagine your specific scenario but you may be facing a challenge because your topics are, perhaps, too broad. 

If you use very broad topics, like UX for example, then you will probably have a high number of posts (or podcasts) that could be related. But the competition on that term is also very high. 

If you go for a set of slightly narrower terms, you may find the content strategy tool better to work with and have more luck ranking highly for those topics. 

Take these thoughts with a pinch of salt though, as I obviously haven't properly reviewed your SEO strategy. 

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I was hoping to also use the topic clusters reporting for segmenting data for each of our services. Therefore, creating topic clusters based on URLs containing e.g. /service1/ would be ideal in my opinion - any way we can make this happen?

0 Upvotes