Content Strategy & SEO

Vilmer

How to design B2B SEO content strategy when search volumes are low?

SOLVE

We are a b2b SaaS company that would like to grow our organic traffic for lead generation. We have a high customer LTV, so we don't need 100s of new leads even though they are welcome.

However, we are sort of a niece service in the sense that search volumes on topics related to our service are relatively low or don't show in the HubSpots SEO therefore it is hard to select topics with the built-in SEO topic planner.

• How should select or find topics? Is there an alternative approach to HubSpot SEO that might work better for us? 
  • Is it really not worth making a cluster for a main topic with less than 300 searches?
  • Information seems very limited in the built-in SEO tool.  Should we be able to manage with the built-in SEO tool or is normal to also invest in Ahref / SemRush or similar to get more granular data?
  • Is there any rule of thumb about when SEO inbound content strategy might not be worth it?  (We do paid campaigns as well but would like to succeed in both channels if we can make the  business case for it.)
2 Accepted solutions
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The answers are usually not as simple as what you are looking for.  SEO is always worth it and it starts with making sure your site uses SEO best practices including having an SSL certificate (even free ones provided by many hosts).  SEO is also not an overnight strategy for more leads, but a long term play. 

Without knowing anything about your product, I would recommend you consider bringing in a 3rd party to help drive your overall demand strategy to focus on SEO and paid activity for you. In the meantime, I would also recommend looking to network with organizations whom your customers might be a part of in order to target some referral traffic to your site.  So while you can choose to invest in a tool like ahrefs/semrush/moz, the data is only as good as you are able to interpret and use it so in this case, having outside help may be of benefit to you.

View solution in original post

JSuarez
Solution
Participant | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@Vilmer ,

Rest assured that your challenges are common and can be overcome. I've replied to your bulleted questions below:

• Before creating an SEO strategy and selecting your target topics, I suggest first getting to really understand your audience's goals and pain points. This is usually codified through buyer personas or an ideal customer profile (ICP). Once you have a solid list of the key objectives and challenges, create a list of search terms that your audience might type into Google. From there, identify the intent behind those search terms to build your topics. Bonus points if you actually type those terms into Google/Bing/etc.––search engines will auto-populate your search based on other common queries, as well as provide a "people also ask" section.
  • I think HubSpot's cluster feature is a great SEO organization tool if nothing else. Bottom line: it can't hurt to use it.
  • HubSpot's SEO features have come a long way, and their recent "SEO Recommendations" facelift has a lot of good advice on areas to improve. If you're finding that's not actionable enough, SEMRush, Ahrefs, and even ScreamingFrog are all third-party SEO tools I use regularly to supplement my SEO work. Only you can decide if paying for a subscription to one of these services is worth it, but I find it invaluable.
  • I can echo @Ben_M's sentiment that SEO is always worth it, big or small. Your audience is using Google, you just have to find out how, and get your content in front of them.

Hope that was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

John Suarez

HubSpot Community Signatures.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
geriorsini25

SOLVE

I would like to know how much money you are willing to pay for such services. In this case, it all depends on what your budget is since a conditional $ 20 will not be enough for high-quality promotion. I can advise you to contact the service webcitz.com for help since this is the best service that provides these favors from all that I have worked with. Their prices are more than reasonable to get quality services for a good price. I advise you not to contact unknown small companies, as this may even harm your company's reputation.

0 Upvotes
hpande
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Vilmer

I think I understand where you are coming from. One rule of thumb is, if your sales funnel is high LTV based on CAC, you want to double down. So do as much ppc as you want. But having great SEO traffic will only make it better. There is proven research about various ways great SEM and SEO work together. I was able to increase funnel performnace in SEO/SEM paradigm for 1 client to 300% because of it. So take your SEO - technical and non technical very seriously. Hubspot SEO is great and we shoudl definitely make use of clustering. However, there are some other aspects one should consider while creating a robust SEO strategy -

1- Competitor research - It may depend from niche to niche, but you need an expert to look into this aspect.

2- BERT based keyword clustering.

3- On-page SEO.

4- DOM optimization.

5- Page experience signals using Web vitals - LCP, CLS and FID.

6- Keyword sprinkling and research

7- Site speed- server vs client side rendering

8- Making proper use of SEO technology which is ever evolving like automated/mimicking SEO crawlers application.

The list goes on and on. I have experience across SEM, UAC, SEO and CRM/Serives stack. And I can guarantee you that it takes all stages to make a brand. However, in inbound, SEO is the top priority as it sets the tone. You can optimize the otehr channels and then take care of attribution using hubspot marketing enterprise or branch/appsflyer. But it startes with great SEO. Let me know if you need any more detail in any of these aspects. Shall be happy to help.

All the best to all businesses here.

regards

H

0 Upvotes
JSuarez
Solution

SOLVE

@Vilmer ,

Rest assured that your challenges are common and can be overcome. I've replied to your bulleted questions below:

• Before creating an SEO strategy and selecting your target topics, I suggest first getting to really understand your audience's goals and pain points. This is usually codified through buyer personas or an ideal customer profile (ICP). Once you have a solid list of the key objectives and challenges, create a list of search terms that your audience might type into Google. From there, identify the intent behind those search terms to build your topics. Bonus points if you actually type those terms into Google/Bing/etc.––search engines will auto-populate your search based on other common queries, as well as provide a "people also ask" section.
  • I think HubSpot's cluster feature is a great SEO organization tool if nothing else. Bottom line: it can't hurt to use it.
  • HubSpot's SEO features have come a long way, and their recent "SEO Recommendations" facelift has a lot of good advice on areas to improve. If you're finding that's not actionable enough, SEMRush, Ahrefs, and even ScreamingFrog are all third-party SEO tools I use regularly to supplement my SEO work. Only you can decide if paying for a subscription to one of these services is worth it, but I find it invaluable.
  • I can echo @Ben_M's sentiment that SEO is always worth it, big or small. Your audience is using Google, you just have to find out how, and get your content in front of them.

Hope that was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

John Suarez

HubSpot Community Signatures.png

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The answers are usually not as simple as what you are looking for.  SEO is always worth it and it starts with making sure your site uses SEO best practices including having an SSL certificate (even free ones provided by many hosts).  SEO is also not an overnight strategy for more leads, but a long term play. 

Without knowing anything about your product, I would recommend you consider bringing in a 3rd party to help drive your overall demand strategy to focus on SEO and paid activity for you. In the meantime, I would also recommend looking to network with organizations whom your customers might be a part of in order to target some referral traffic to your site.  So while you can choose to invest in a tool like ahrefs/semrush/moz, the data is only as good as you are able to interpret and use it so in this case, having outside help may be of benefit to you.