Content Strategy & SEO

Ella_N
Participant

How many long-tail keywords is ideal in ONE blog post?

SOLVE

Hi,

I'm new to this community to hello to everyone 🙂

I was watching the Fundamentals of an Effective SEO Content Strategy by Aja Frost from Hubspot, in which she mentioned that cluster content should have 2-5 longer-tail keywords with 50+ MSV  per piece of content (e.g.) blog post.  However in the Hubspot inbound marketing course, I seem to remember Justin Champion mentioned that ideally, you should just target one long-tail keyword per piece of content for the best chance of ranking.

I could have mis-remembered it of course, but which approach does everyone find more effective in your experience? One theory I have is that by targeting more than one long-tail keywords, you have less of a chance to use that keyword within a blog post and therefore less likely to rank for it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ella 

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Welcome to the Community @Ella_N ! And thanks for the tag @sharonlicari . I agree with @webdew that there isn't a hard and fast rule. Best practices do push us to using one long tail keyword phrase per content piece for ranking, but I use multiple throughout pieces edpending on what I'm writing about. 

You could use multiple phrases/topics and link to other content like pillar pages or blog posts. that's not about ranking on this page as much as passing SEO power to the other pages.

You could dabble in related keywords — like tertiary topics —  and monitor your rankings for those phrases. If the post/page begins to rank for the other phrases, use those for your on page SEO and social promotions. 

I'm a big fan of SEO thought leaders like Moz, SEMRush, Neil Patel, Rand Fishkin and a few others. Monitoring what they're all talking about will show you that there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer... it's all about following some best practices and then testing what works for your pages. 

Good luck! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

rikkilear
Solution
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

I think it's very difficult to target more than one long-tail keyword per piece of content if you intend on fully optimising for it. For example, having the keyword in the title tag is only really achievable with one long-tail keyword (depending on the length). In some instances, two keywords may make sense but I do find that rare when talking about blog posts.

This isn't to so that blog won't rank well for dozens of other phrases. My point is more what you are primarily optimising for.

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Full HubSpot agency: https://www.digital22.com/

Free HubSpot Training: https://www.digital22.com/free-2021-training

JELina
Solution

SOLVE

Hello @Ella_N,

As I would see it, there is no composed principle for utilizing long tail  watchwords. It is dictated by the length of the substance you are making. In any highest level substance, you can discover in excess of two long tail catchphrases. There are likewise a couple of bits of substance that remember a few long tail watchwords for a two-line passage.

I like to utilize numerous long tail watchwords in my substance since they have low rivalry yet a higher change esteem.

Expectation this makes a difference!

In the event that we had the option to answer your inquiry, sympathetically help the local area by stamping it as an answer.

Much obliged and Regards.

9 Replies 9
Ella_N
Participant

SOLVE
Hi JELina,

Thank you for your helpful comments.

About this thread I did mark one of the answers as the solution already, although all comments are helpful. Do you mean I should mark them all as the solution? Sorry I'm quite new to the community and not sure how things work...

Thank you!

Ella
0 Upvotes
JELina

SOLVE

No it's ok just relax and enjoy the life

JELina
Solution

SOLVE

Hello @Ella_N,

As I would see it, there is no composed principle for utilizing long tail  watchwords. It is dictated by the length of the substance you are making. In any highest level substance, you can discover in excess of two long tail catchphrases. There are likewise a couple of bits of substance that remember a few long tail watchwords for a two-line passage.

I like to utilize numerous long tail watchwords in my substance since they have low rivalry yet a higher change esteem.

Expectation this makes a difference!

In the event that we had the option to answer your inquiry, sympathetically help the local area by stamping it as an answer.

Much obliged and Regards.

Ella_N
Participant

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

Thank you all very for your inputs. From everyone's opinions, I understand it that while a blog post might rank for a number of different long-tail keywords, we as the creator should aim for one clear long-tail keyword to optimise for to make sure it is optimised effectively?

Thank you,

Ella 

rikkilear

SOLVE

I think that's a good summary Ella 👍

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

rikkilear
Solution

SOLVE

I think it's very difficult to target more than one long-tail keyword per piece of content if you intend on fully optimising for it. For example, having the keyword in the title tag is only really achievable with one long-tail keyword (depending on the length). In some instances, two keywords may make sense but I do find that rare when talking about blog posts.

This isn't to so that blog won't rank well for dozens of other phrases. My point is more what you are primarily optimising for.

----------------------

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Welcome to the Community @Ella_N ! And thanks for the tag @sharonlicari . I agree with @webdew that there isn't a hard and fast rule. Best practices do push us to using one long tail keyword phrase per content piece for ranking, but I use multiple throughout pieces edpending on what I'm writing about. 

You could use multiple phrases/topics and link to other content like pillar pages or blog posts. that's not about ranking on this page as much as passing SEO power to the other pages.

You could dabble in related keywords — like tertiary topics —  and monitor your rankings for those phrases. If the post/page begins to rank for the other phrases, use those for your on page SEO and social promotions. 

I'm a big fan of SEO thought leaders like Moz, SEMRush, Neil Patel, Rand Fishkin and a few others. Monitoring what they're all talking about will show you that there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer... it's all about following some best practices and then testing what works for your pages. 

Good luck! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Ella_N,

In my opinion, there is no written rule for using long tail keywords. It is determined by the length of the content you are creating. In any top ranking content, you can find more than two long tail keywords. There are also a few pieces of content that include two to three long tail keywords in a two-line paragraph.

I prefer to use multiple long tail keywords in my content because they have low competition but a higher conversion value.

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @Ella_N 

Welcome to the Community! I'm happy to have you here.

I'll invite a few experts to this thread so they can share some ideas and suggestions. 

Hey @rikkilear @danmoyle @JonPayne what would you advise to @Ella_N?

Thanks

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !