Content Strategy & SEO

DanielChen007
Contributor

How do I make the traffic of my web app contribute to my homepage?

SOLVE

Hi all,

I am Daniel.

I have a question, our landing page and web app use 2 different subdomains, landing page is "www.airgram.io", web app is "app.airgram.io", all the user contents are in the "app.airgram.io".

When users share their contents in public, the url would be "app.airgram.io/share/ID123123123". We want this content to power our "www.airgram.io" SEO, what should we do? Could we generate the share link as"www.airgram.io/share/ID123123123" and redirect it to "app.airgram.io/share/ID123123123", will this help to power the SEO of "www.airgram.io"?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted solution
DavidDennison
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

So this is a common problem a lot of websites face, especially when they set up their SEO strategy as an afterthought. Google treats the subdomain as an entirely different domain, and thus it views it as two different websites. Meaning the content on the subdomain doesn't give you SEO benefits.

Ideally, you should not be relying on a subdomain nor its content to help with SEO on your main domain. I can see why you would want to because you don't have many pages or content on your main page. However, this is a bad strategy. Really the only SEO benefit you could give is by linking your main page.

What kind of content are you hoping to get SEO benefits from? I signed up for an account and it still points to www. In fact, the app address doesn't even work. Did you already convince the powers that be to move it over to the main domain?

To wrap up, you should let the content on the app rank that subdomain and create a separate content strategy for your main domain. Build out pages, start blogging, write in-depth case studies, etc. Lastly, usually, the content on a subdomain is content that you DON'T want to rank for. If a lot of that content is user-generated, it will really mess up your SEO on your main domain. Hope this helps!

David Dennison

Search Engine Optimization

and Content Marketing Expert

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
https://daviddennison.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
DanielChen007
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you! David!

DavidDennison
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

So this is a common problem a lot of websites face, especially when they set up their SEO strategy as an afterthought. Google treats the subdomain as an entirely different domain, and thus it views it as two different websites. Meaning the content on the subdomain doesn't give you SEO benefits.

Ideally, you should not be relying on a subdomain nor its content to help with SEO on your main domain. I can see why you would want to because you don't have many pages or content on your main page. However, this is a bad strategy. Really the only SEO benefit you could give is by linking your main page.

What kind of content are you hoping to get SEO benefits from? I signed up for an account and it still points to www. In fact, the app address doesn't even work. Did you already convince the powers that be to move it over to the main domain?

To wrap up, you should let the content on the app rank that subdomain and create a separate content strategy for your main domain. Build out pages, start blogging, write in-depth case studies, etc. Lastly, usually, the content on a subdomain is content that you DON'T want to rank for. If a lot of that content is user-generated, it will really mess up your SEO on your main domain. Hope this helps!

David Dennison

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
DanielChen007
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi David,

Thank you so much. We didn't seperate it yet, still working on it, that's why I am here trying to find the best practice. If I can't find a way to power main page's SEO, we may still use www. for both main page and web app.

Our plan is to use Webflow to manage our main page, like you said, build pages, write blogs, etc. This is why I want to set our web app to a subdomain, so that when the marketing team publishes something it won't affect our web app. Our web app users may share contents like meeting notes and transcripts in public, which url should be app. ,we want those contents benefits our www. SEO.

As you said, "the only SEO benefit you could give is by linking your main page". May I ask how much would the main page benefit from adding backlinks to shared contents?

By the way, thanks for the insight about "If a lot of that content is user-generated, it will really mess up your SEO on your main domain. Hope this helps!" We haven't thought about it yet, it's really helpful!

DavidDennison
Key Advisor

SOLVE

It would benefit as much as the subdomain can offer it from its DA and how much link juice you're linking out to. As I said, if you have that content on a subdomain, Google will see it as a different domain, thus you can't really benefit from the content on there. And you don't want it to, especially if it's UGC.

David Dennison

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
rikkilear
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey Daniel,

I'm not sure I 100% understand the question. Am I right in assuming the user generated content is pushed live on app. but you want www. to rank for this content? What is the content exactly?

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Full HubSpot agency: https://www.digital22.com/

Free HubSpot Training: https://www.digital22.com/free-2021-training

DanielChen007
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Rikkilear

Thank you for the comment. YES, users generated content is pushed live (like Notion's "Share to Web" so the search engine can see it). Meeting notes and transcripts are included.

We want www. to rank for this content! May I ask what should we do?

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @DanielChen007,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I wanted to ask a couple of SEO experts for advice: 

hi @DavidDennison@danmoyle@Sam62@rikkilear, do you maybe have any tips for @DanielChen007?

Thank you! 

Cheers
Mia, Community Team 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

DanielChen007
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks, Mia!