Content Strategy & SEO

LionMedia

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

*Already posted on Learning center forum, but posting it here since it's more relevant and I have no replies. 

In order to build back links you need to think about your strategy as building relationships, not building links.

So, one way to add value, and build relationships is through guest posting. 

My question is, after you've successfully created a guest post, should you include one link to your site in that guest post? Or am I taking the wrong approach? 

Hope to hear back soon. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

Hi @LionMedia,

I would include at least one link back to your main site, ideally to valuable, related content so it's not just a link for a link. Ideally I'd like to see it in the body copy with strong anchor text linking to an internal page (such as a blog post). 

If it makes sense and would provide further value to the reader of the post, more than 1 link can exist without harm, I would just use good judgment on that.  

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ipmedia1

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

Hey! 

Sometimes a post includes a lot of information, so for user convenience linking is the best so that they can easily connect to the other page.

So more than 2 or 3 links in a post are relevant or not?

one backlink of the main site is ok but what if we want to inform about various topics in one blog post.

Suggest me a good strategy  

0 Upvotes
wchouwmx
Participant

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

Various links are definitely okay and you are correct that they can definitely help the user experience, which helps Seo, especially when you have different subtopics you want to link to. The only time linking to many times would be a bad thing would be if you are stopping in so many links that it is obvious the hurting the user experience and diminishing the quality of the actual text content

-With love, Will Chou
0 Upvotes
wchouwmx
Participant

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

Ideally, you want as many high quality links as possible.

You want links to the specific page you want to rank for specific keywords or boost the ranking on that keyword. It helps if you already know where that keyword ranks currently. If you know it ranks on the first page at position five, you can easily track to see if the guest post link helped or not. The alternative is to just get a link to your root domain homepage if you don't currently have a specific page or keyword that you want to increase the rankings on. The effect of this link is more broad but it will ripple down to any pages in the future that you want to rank for. I would say the upper limits of getting links on your article is to the point where the article has a worse user experience and the text is to stuff with links. That said, that will almost never happen with any real guest post opportunity because usually just post publications are picky about how many links you can include. Typically, you can only include one link and it's often only in the author bio. I've had a few instances where I was able to warm up the relationship after a few guest posts on the same site to the point where they like me enough that they were suggesting places to add more links in the article. So don't give up just yet if a website only allows one link for now.

-With love, Will Chou
Josh
Solution

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

Hi @LionMedia,

I would include at least one link back to your main site, ideally to valuable, related content so it's not just a link for a link. Ideally I'd like to see it in the body copy with strong anchor text linking to an internal page (such as a blog post). 

If it makes sense and would provide further value to the reader of the post, more than 1 link can exist without harm, I would just use good judgment on that.  

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

Krystina
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Guest Posting Question

SOLVE

Great reply from Josh, all I would add is to make sure that the anchor text is keyword rich!

Cheers, 

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Krystina Gillenwater
A B2B Revenue Operations (RevOps) Firm.
HubSpot Diamond Partner BadgeA Diamond Solutions Partner
Book 15 Minutes with Krystina »