Content Strategy & SEO

damarley
Participant

Duplicate Content: Combining multiple blogs to create a long-form pillar page

SOLVE

Hi All,

Hope all is well. I have a question regarding duplicate content the impact it can have on my site and the SERPs.

I currently have a series of blog posts (10) centered around top venues in the USA. I’m currently in the process of creating a long-form pillar page that combines all the venues into one page. This pillar page will live on my site, but not on the my blog where the other posts sit.

My question is if I were to copy these series of blog post (verbatim) and post it to my new pillar page will I be dinged for duplicate content? What I understand from my research is there isn’t any penalty for duplicate content on 3rd party sites, but nothing mentions anything about having the same content on your own site.

I’m not too worried about keywork cannibalization as the blog posts don’t rank for too many KW to begin with and I will be linking back to these blog post in the pillar page.

I just want to make sure that there are not any other concerns I should  know about and if anyone has experience with this same tatic?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
ConnorSlivensky
Solution
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

From what our SEO agency has told me it essentially won't add anything. It won't "ding" you but it also won't contribute to your ranking.

You may want to set your blogs to have their canonical URLs point to your pillar page so that it gets all the credit for that content. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
ConnorSlivensky
Solution

SOLVE

From what our SEO agency has told me it essentially won't add anything. It won't "ding" you but it also won't contribute to your ranking.

You may want to set your blogs to have their canonical URLs point to your pillar page so that it gets all the credit for that content. 

damarley
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you! I appreciate your help and advice.