Content Strategy & SEO

FranciscaZ
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

Direction of links in a topic cluster

SOLVE

Hi all, 

I'm planning to start setting up a few pillar pages on my website soon. 

One thing I'm unsure about, is if I will be linking mainly from my pillar page to related blogs, or from related blogs to the pillar page. Or can I link in both directions? Will this have a negative impact on SEO? 

Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @FranciscaZ 

Links from your blog posts to your pillar page are what signal its relevance both to readers and search engines. Meanwhile links from your pillar page to relevant blog posts may play a role in making your pillar page useful to your readers.

So I would say that the links to from the posts to the pillar page are the most important, but both can be valuable. You should not generate any negative SEO issues if you always link in a natural and helpful way. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Danish_Wadhwa
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @FranciscaZ ,

It is recommended that one should perform linking in both the directions.

i.e link pillar pages to related blog posts and vice versa. Indeed, doing so will make your pillar page robust and also your blog content will be more optimized.

So, I would definitely say link your pillar page to related blog posts and related blog posts to the pillar page.

Hope it helps!
Don't hesitate to contact if you need any assistance.

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @FranciscaZ 

Links from your blog posts to your pillar page are what signal its relevance both to readers and search engines. Meanwhile links from your pillar page to relevant blog posts may play a role in making your pillar page useful to your readers.

So I would say that the links to from the posts to the pillar page are the most important, but both can be valuable. You should not generate any negative SEO issues if you always link in a natural and helpful way. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency