Content Strategy & SEO

PSM
Contributor

Delete pages with no value(no links, few views, etc.) or redirect

SOLVE

I have some older pages that have very few views, no links and are no longer relevant. Is there a need to redirect those or could I just unpublish them and tell Google to remove the URL?

Thanks...

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Having those pages live may actually do more damage than good. If they're not regularly updated with fresh relevant content then there's no real point in having them.

If you do have a page that is regularly being updated that is relevant to the older, unused page you can set up 301 redirects which cause no harm. If they're completely irrelevant, then just unpublishing them and removing them from your crawlable sitemap should do the trick.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: So, is there a need to tell Google to remove the URL? Or, if you unpublish the page will it just drop the URL?

Short A: You should update your sitemap in Google Search Console, so Google get's notified immediately (instead of waiting for the next crawl).

Longer A: No long answer.

Hope that helps @PSM

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Having those pages live may actually do more damage than good. If they're not regularly updated with fresh relevant content then there's no real point in having them.

If you do have a page that is regularly being updated that is relevant to the older, unused page you can set up 301 redirects which cause no harm. If they're completely irrelevant, then just unpublishing them and removing them from your crawlable sitemap should do the trick.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
JohnNiggl
Contributor

SOLVE

@shearn

Relevant to this topic, my blog has curated posts published weekly and covering industry news--i.e. NOT evergreen content, but content with a very short half life (~1-2 weeks).

Should I be deleting these regularly, since they rarely get visits or new backlinks more than a few weeks after publishing? If so, how regularly?

PSM
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you, that helps..

So, is there a need to tell Google to remove the URL? Or, if you unpublish the page will it just drop the URL?

Thanks again..

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: So, is there a need to tell Google to remove the URL? Or, if you unpublish the page will it just drop the URL?

Short A: You should update your sitemap in Google Search Console, so Google get's notified immediately (instead of waiting for the next crawl).

Longer A: No long answer.

Hope that helps @PSM

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
cmilerick
Contributor

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson relative to this conversation, I have been asked to completely wipe out a URL, so that it cannot be typed into a browser, prefilled, linked to our page, etc.  I deleted the blog but it still leads to a "blank" page on our site.   

Would your technique of "Short A: You should update your sitemap in Google Search Console, so Google get's notified immediately (instead of waiting for the next crawl)."

Make it so that when a url gets typed into a browser, it does not bring up a our site? 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: [How to] Make it so that when a url gets typed into a browser, it does not bring up our site?

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

There are a variety of things you'll need to do. Some will depend on WHY you don't want a specific URL to land on your website any longer.

-1- Set the target URL (page or post) to 'noindex nofollow' (important)

-2- Remove the target URL from your sitemap (and resubmit)

-3- Redirect the target URL to whereverthehell [good word] - this is where it gets tricky.

Reason NOT To Redirect - Google may also rank pages based on the behavior of other pages on your website. So pages that result in poor UX (user experience) may drag down other 'good' pages.

We've had success redirecting to 'fake 404 pages' -- an actual good URL on our domain that presents generic info -- e.g., 'We've Moved To HubSpot' or 'Service Discontinued'-- and with a button back to our homepage. This gives the visitor the option to click and therefore move forward in the visitor flow being tracked by Google. (recommended only for very specific use cases)

Reason TO Redirect - you just need to do it. If that's the case, redirect somewhere that doesn't hurt the UX or your brand -- e.g., maybe to a topically relevant affiliate product page. (just a thought)

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
cmilerick
Contributor

SOLVE

I deleted the blog, so I can't find it to edit it per your instructions per #1, which is what I think I need to do.

It's not on my sitemap so I can't do #2 

If someone clicks on the link (that had existed in the past) and must be on some collateral somewhere..., it lands on our site specifically what is needed is to:

Could you completely wipe out this URL so that when it gets typed into a browser it doesn’t bring up a page on our site?

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Sorry @cmilerick, if you need further explanation, you'll want to ask your question as a separate post.

#nlmtt

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes