Content scoring tool to figure out which contact is interested in what topic cluster

Regular Contributor

We're currently creating a bunch of topic clusters and the respective pillar pages for them. I was wondering what would be the best way to build a system that shows us which contact is interested in/focused on what topic.

Ideally, I would have lead-scoring- kind of content scoring system that would allow me to give points to various content around one core topic cluster (e.g. has downloaded content offer 'topic A', has visited blog post for 'topic A', has visited product page related to topic A, opened an Email related to topic A etc.) and the more a contact has consumed of content 'Topic A', the higher his score gets and the more I'm sure that this topic is really relevant for the contact.

I see that there is currently no such an option to build different 'Content Scoring' systems.

So my idea would be to create properties for Topics A, B, C, D etc. either as dropdown (low interest in A, medium interest in A, high interest in A) or may be with a numerous value? Then I would have to create complex workflows that would change that property based on the value the property had before (e.g. if property A value is medium interest in A and contact downloads content offer 'Topic A', then change property to 'high interest in Topic A' etc.)

I'm a little bit worried that this system would get out of hands as it would grow very complex with more content.

So I was wondering if you have any idea on how to solve this? My goal is simple to identify which contact is interested in which of my topic clusters?

Any inputs appreciated! 

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Community Superstar

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post by accepting the 'solution' (HubSpot word).

Q: Any idea on how to identify which contact is interested in which of my topic clusters?

Short A: Smat Lists

Longer A:

Generally speaking, there are two schools of thought on HubSpot workflow complexity:
-1- keep it simple Simon (KISS)
-2- everything else

- see HubSpot Workflow Butterfly Effect

Sounds like you may be trying to re-invent an existing HubSpot solution as a 'content score'. Then use complicated workflows to manage membership. (not recommended)

Frankly, no matter how well crafted, such workflows will be a nightmare to troubleshoot when the inevitable error pops up &/or (as you already stated) you grow content.

Smart Lists
HubSpot has built-in functionality called Smart Lists (aka: Dynamic Lists). Complexity in smart lists is much easier to manage AND ... here's the biggest benefit ... contact membership is VISUAL in smart lists. In other words, you can easily see who the current members are without all the pseudo 'testing' gymnastics required when testing workflows.

Smart lists allow you to include contacts based on general &/or specific behavior &/or lack thereof. And, yes. Smart lists can get quite complex. Even a basic set of lists that meet your criteria might look like this.

EXAMPLE

Smart List #1 Name: Basic Interest In Topic A
Smart List #1 Criteria:
- Downloaded content offer 'topic A'
- Visited blog post for 'topic A'

Smart List #2 Name: Medium Interest In Topic A
Smart List #2 Criteria:
- Member of Smart List 'Basic Interest In Topic A'
- Visited product page related to topic A
- Opened an Email related to topic A

Notice how smart list criteria can include membership in other smart lists? 

Woah. Did I read that right? Yep.

See the possibilities?

Any workflow-centric solution even attempting to match this elegant complexity would soon cross the point of diminishing returns where complication outpaces functionality.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this 'solution'.

Best,
Frank

Please add @MFrankJohnson to your message if you'd like me to reply.

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi MFJlabs

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time and respond to my question, really appreciated! Your insights are very helpful. 

I fully agree that smart list are probably the way to go although it's getting complex there as well...

Assuming I have 15 different criteria that indicate 'interest' for a topic A:

If a contact matches - let's say - 2 of them (in any combination), that would indicate 'low interest in topic A'. I would have to create smart lists for all possible combinations of those 15 criteria (not to mention any additional content that adds to it later).

Same for a match of e.g. 5 of them for 'medium interest in topic A' and e.g. 10 for 'high interest for topic A'

=> Meaning endless combinations. 

That's why, in my opinion, a 'lead-scoring'-like tool to rate interest in topics would be helpful :-) 

Or am I missing something here?

Anyway, thanks for your help!  

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Superstar

>> Am I missing something here?

Nope @swiss-oliver, your 'spidey sense' is right on. There's no real way to avoid complexity when attempting to score any marketing automation madness. It's just that complex smart lists are more manageable than complex workflows.

I hear you loud and clear regarding the scoring though. Even smart lists will quickly become cumbersome with more than a handful of permutations to manage.

How about a hybrid solution using BOTH smart lists AND an interest-centric custom contact property?

EXAMPLE

Custom Contact Property (numeric): Interest - Topic A

Smart Lists:

- Topic A - High Interest

- Topic A - Medium Interest

- Topic A - Low Interest

Resulting Workflow Example:

This is what a resulting workflow could look like as part of a hybrid solution using both smart lists (to manage membership complexity) and workflows (to manage scoring).

(see image)

mfjlabs-hubspot-Topic-A-Interest-Scoring.png

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

0 Upvotes
Community Superstar

Solved @swiss-oliver?

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

If you structure your urls to align with your topic clusters, you could use the "page views" qualifier when building your smarts lists and/or workflows. Then use the "refine by" funcitionality to specify certain numbers of page views. The number of page views is how you would qualify people for your different interest levels.

There are a number of different ways to identify or disqualify urls, including regex, which is particularly robust. With some advanced url planning and by fine tuning your enrollment trigger, you could use smart lists or workflows as  Frank suggested to bucket your contacts.

The caveat is that you wouldn't be specifying pageviews to different urls per se, but the trade-off is that you massively reduce the complexity as well as future proof for new content added at a later date. 

workflow-enrollment.jpg